Please answer if you have Oneida flatware!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Bored of Ed, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2011

Gosh I know this is totally off topic but don't know where else to post... is there a housewares forum?!

Oneida is having a great cyber Monday sale and I really want to get my real flatware NOW. Can get service for 8 under $40. Trying to choose pattern and it's hard to tell from the item descriptions...

I would like to know if their "satin" finish is that the actual stainless steel is brushed or otherwise un-shiny, or if it has a layer of frosty something on it. Hard to describe, but the reason I returned my Cambridge flatware was because the frosted-looking finish was rusting way too easily and rubbing off even when brand new - you could see every scratch just from taking it out of the package. On the other hand, I've also seen high-shine finishes have their own problems re. showing every scratch as well as water spots, et al. Plus, my other set of flatware is high-shine and I don't want to mix them up (for kosher reasons, we have separate utensils for meat and dairy and it's important to keep them apart easily)

So I'm trying to decide whether to go for shiny or satin (I'm eyeing "Flight" pattern but maybe also "Mooncrest" - It's REALLY hard to tell what the situation is with Mooncrest because it looks dull in the picture but the description says something about shine...?) I'll be getting it shipped free and due to the heavy weight of 8 sets of silverware I REALLY don't want to have to return ship it! I am going to order something and be happy with it for the next 40 years no matter what!

3. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Nov 28, 2011

I can't answer your original question but if you decide to order, eBates.com offers 6% back on purchases from oneida.com.

If you don't have an ebates account you can sign up here. (That link goes to my referral account).

*EDIT* I just realized my flatware is Oneida. I have the shiny finish and don't really like it. We've had our set for 3 years and it's scratched and shows water spots. I want a satin finish when we register for a new set.

4. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2011

What a shame, Oneida has a reputation for good quality but then you see some reviews like that... What pattern do you have?

After my experiences with my own shiny and the returned (Cambridge, not Oneida) frosty, I also want satin but the REAL satin like my parents always had, where there isn't a finished layer that can scratch off but just the whole thing has a brushed smooth sort of texture.

5. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Nov 28, 2011

I'm not sure what pattern I have (it looks similar to the Camlynn); my future MIL purchased the set. Most likely it was from Marshalls or a similar store so that may be why it has not held up the way I had hoped.

6. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2011

Oooh I really like the design of Camlynn! I would totally have gotten that if it were part of this sale. Have only seen it at Target, in the satin finish, but that was a while ago and I wasn't looking closely enough to remember how the finish looked.

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 28, 2011

I guess I don't know what you mean by "frosty". I've had my Oneida Stainless for 22 1/2 years & it's still looking good. Each piece was a wedding gift, bought at stores like: Dillard's (was it Dillard's back then?), Von Maur, Yonkers (before it was Yonkers I think) & the local jewelry stores that carried fine china.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 28, 2011

Satin finish is a brushed finish. Oneida generally has quality flatware.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2011

Well, I doubt this will be much help, but I have a 70+ year old set of Oneida (the Delmar pattern, silver-plated) inherited from my grandma... and it's still in excellent condition.

10. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2011

Wow, classy! LOL. I'm sure they don't make them like they used to... I also love my grandparents' flatware, which looks great, but thank G-d it's not up for inheritance yet!

Anyway, I am taking the plunge and ordering the satin to make sure it's noticeably different from my other set. Only ordering one set and hoping for the best, so just in case I'll have another chance if I ever need more flatware. I have seen similar deals in the past, so while it's a definite buy-now price it's not a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity so if I do love it, I can get more of the same someday.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2011

:) I'd rather it not be inherited, either... but if she were still with us, she'd be 100!

Enjoy your new flatware!

12. kme93

kme93 Companion

Nov 28, 2011

I have the Oneida Mooncrest. I love it! It's not brushed with a frosted glaze or anything. It's more like polished brushed nickel.