Pleasant Offer...No, Don't Get Excited (a sort-of blog)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by McKennaL, Aug 9, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 9, 2009

I have written that I have a side job at a grocery store.

My department manager called me over yesterday. I admire this woman...and as bosses go - I think she is very good. She's this little fire-plug-shaped woman who reminded me, at first, of a grocery store version of 'the godfather". One of the first things that people told me about her-and later I heard her say..."you're good to me, I'll take care of you". hahahahaha. My life's own Don Corleone.

So she calls me over yesterday... and says something I initially found a bit shocking.

"McKenna...when does school start?"

And instantly I thought...the date of my daughter's college...but why would she ask THAT? (BTW..my daughter ALSO works at the grocery store-but in a different department. --Pssssst I think the Corleone-connection GOT her the job in the deli.)

Then I realized she was asked MY beginning date. And a wave of embarrassment came over me. What date would I even GIVE???? ..Thinking back to it...I think my shoulders probably dropped. (As I type this.. my eyes are welling up. It's funny. I guess Don Corelone actually IS the closest person I have to an actting parent. And this discussion was akin to a parent sitting one down and sweetly saying... "the games over, eh?") I stood before her... an employee-but also a child who has missed hitting her own target.

She went on.. "will you be subbing then?"

Well, yes...but I AM still looking for full time employment for the fall.

"Sure...sure you are. You always have to keep that up. But if not, you'll be subbing?"

yes (sadly)

"Well... I was wondering... they call you in the mornings for that, eh? But then, there is a point when you know..if they haven't called..you're FREE for the day, right?"

yes...usually by 9 am I know I'm not working.

"And.. if you are free, that's a day without...but should you, perhaps (lingers)..."

CALL in after 9am....(I can't believe this woman uses the cloze technique better than most teachers! And funnier still-that i fall right into the student role.)

"...I mean, after all, it IS (lingers)..."

a paycheck

"I KNOW that...."

that I need the money to support my home and family. yes, I do.

"so what I'm SAYING is......"

yes. and THANK you.

"yes..there's a future here waiting, you know."

yes. and I DO appreciate this...thank you.

"just so we understand each other"

we do. thank you very much.

"no problem.. I take care of my own."

And with a knowing nod of her head, I was dismissed from Don Corelone's presense. (Come to think of it... I might have bowed slightly and backed away... for goodness sake, can't believe that.)

I know that I could move up in the company. That does (some-what) give a sense of assurance.

(but my inner-teacher weeps.)

Epilogue:

A few hours later (a few minutes before my 6 hour shift is done-and I was SO looking forward to walking out the door on a hot summer Saturday) she comes up. And with her attitude of...*I'm nicely TELLING you - not ASKING you*... she says, "McKenna...seems your replacement is going to be 2 hours late."

You're kidding (semi-laughing)

"No...no, I'm not. So that's ok by you, huh? I mean you'd like to keep working, right?

Don Corleone has set me out on a "hit" right as I am about to enjoy a spaghetti dinner dat Mama has prepared. "sure...sure that's ok"

*sigh* the life of a mafia underling. You know the boss is watching out for you...but that it's gonna cost ya down the road through indentured servitude.

3. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 9, 2009

Mac, you're too good for us.
    You are indeed a teacher but you are also a writer.
    You have the uncanny knack of writing natural dialogue while injecting humor into it. Do you know how rare a talent that is?

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 9, 2009

You really do have a talent. And by the way... I am waiting for Chapter 2... The one where you tell Don Corelone that you are leaving the family business and striking out on your own as a teacher. You will bow and kiss her ring and thank her for her assistance when you were down. And then, walk backwards slowly out of the store. Keep your eyes on hers so that she can't signal to have you detained. Quickly jump into your waiting car and gun the engine - hopefully no bomb will go off for having the nerve to leave the family and finally, you can begin your new life.

All the best. It might happen yet. TRY to keep the faith even in the face of the God Father telling you to basically give it a rest.

5. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 9, 2009

:rofl::rofl:

6. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 9, 2009

Amazing story telling. I would give you a 5 for voice! Well, I think I would, I am still learning about the 6+ stuff.

7. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 9, 2009

:) You are awesome! Too awesome for words! :)

8. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 9, 2009

I also enjoy reading your posts - you are a great writer!

I know its not what you want to do but having a job where you do a good job and are appreciated is great.

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2009

Knowing that you're appreciated is great! I also have a job in a grocery store and I know that if teaching doesn't work out I could probably fairly quickly become full-time there (although then they would probably move me to one of their other stores in the area) and it's nice knowing that there are other options out there.

10. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 9, 2009

You know I think I would buy your book. I was on the edge of my chair just waiting for the next line! You know there might be a market (not grocery) for your writing :lol: