PLC, Professional Learning Communities

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Hoot Owl, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 2, 2010

We start with them Monday, and I'm a little apprehensive. What should I expect? I'm afraid that the group I've been assigned to is just going to complain the entire time.:(

3. ClassicPooh2

ClassicPooh2 Rookie

Sep 2, 2010

At our PLC meetings we always have an agenda and try to set a timeline for each item.

AS a PLC group, we set ideas that we wanted to see happening at each meeting. Those are always posted during the meeting as a reminder. Our teachers were very apprehensive about getting started with this, but it's been very productive and we've seen the benefits to our students.

Good Luck, and remember to go with a positive attitude.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 2, 2010

That hasn't been my experience, although I do understand the apprehension. We usually just discuss the data we have from assessments. What do we need to focus on objective-wise. If someone's kids are really getting it-sharing ideas of how they got them there. We discuss our Tier 2 and 3 kids-what are we doing differently for them, etc.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2010

I have never been a part of one, but it has always sounded like a great idea to me. I hope it goes well for you. :)

6. JoviHawk

JoviHawk Rookie

Sep 2, 2010

We've done PLC for the last 5 years. We have guiding questions to keep us on track ex: "What do I want my student's to learn?" "What do I do if they don't" etc. We also go over data and plan intervention time.

7. NCALIFTeacher

NCALIFTeacher Rookie

Sep 3, 2010

This was the setup for the school I student taught, teachers would meet once a week (Tuesdays) and work in small groups. They also assigned a 'leader' to keep everyone on track and informed. From my observation, PLC's are a great way for teachers to share ideas and inform one another of what's going on in their class/what they need from other teachers, but I also saw quite a few of the teachers unwilling to put much effort--to put it lightly--as the weeks progressed.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2010

Our PLCs are our departments and grade levels. We discuss assessments, track students, set kids up in RTI, evaluate state tests to see where the kids are struggling, etc. We always have an agenda... and we always end up with a few complainers.

9. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Sep 4, 2010

My school started PLCs last year. I think most folks have said it all, BUT I would add if you are afraid the people in your group will complain a lot - you might suggest (at the start) to set up some group guidelines or norms. Perhaps one of them could be to 'try and stay positive'?

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 5, 2010

Agreed. It's very important to set up norms prior to your first meeting together!!!

My district just started PLCs this year!

11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2010

I'm glad you mentioned departments and grade level meetings. We've been doing these forever but I never thought of them as PLC's but they are! Thanks for pointing that out. I think ours would be more successful if we made sure to set goals at the beginning.

12. justfine

justfine Comrade

Sep 5, 2010

Topics

What are some possible topics for PLCs!! What is worth investigating in a group!