Playstation 3

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Beth2004, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 15, 2006

My fiance is a major video game nut (unfortunately!) and waited in line for 9 hours last November at a 24 hr Walmart to buy the X-Box 360 on the day it came out. I admit, he's a little nuts :D but people are REALLY going crazy for the new playstation. It comes out this Friday and there are already people in tents camped outside my local Best Buy. It's crazy!

Anyone else noticing this in their area??

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 15, 2006

Sorry haven't noticed here. I don't have Walmart or Best buy or even circuit city :(

4. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2006

YES! And I think it's nuts! I would love to get hubby one but I refuse to shell out almost $1000 for something like that. He has his Playstation 2 so he'll just have to se satisfied with that for awhile.

5. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Nov 16, 2006

I've seen it on the news stories. The best one was in Maine, where people were there in the storm!

Ok, last week we traded our X=box 360 (new) for a playstation 2 and 6 games, we still have the old X-box and I want to phase it out too, I like our new to us (refurbished) playstation2, I like the variety of games for the younger kids. And I think those guys are nuts waiting for those new game consoles that who knows what kind of problems there will be??? The other new ones had some.

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2006

That brings up a good point Amy. Everytime something like that comes out they find out about problems with them way after people have purchased them. I guess that is why they have warranty's but it's annoying nonetheless. I remember when the PS2's were really expensive too, so I'll just wait a few years until the price goes down then upgrade for him. I just don't see the hype in getting these things when they first come out, unless you have lots of money to blow on them. Heck, I remember when a DVD player was $1000!!! HA HA! And we just got one last year!:eek:

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 16, 2006

I read Beth's first post this morning before heading to work, then heard about people camped outside of a Best Buy in Toronto waiting for the release--apparently the store will be getting 73 units and there are already more people than that lined up. When I pulled in to get my coffee this morning, there were tents outside of our local Future Shop (electronics store) as well...I'm curious to see how many are then when I drive by on the way home. I wish I had nothing else to do other than camp outside a store for 3 days!

8. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2006

Would be nice hey?

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 16, 2006

I was told that some stores in my area may only end up getting less than 10 playstations! Can you imagine the chaos there is going to be when there are 100 people or more in line that have been waiting for days?? If I were the owner of a Best Buy (or any store with people already waiting) I would request for some local police officers to be there when the store opens.

10. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Nov 16, 2006

My son just said a few minutes ago, "I wonder if people are waiting in line at Wal-mart for the Playstation 3." He too, is a game nut. He got a 360 last year for Christmas which was a great surprise because he didn't expect to see one until spring because they were so scarce. I had to go to Pittsbugh to get it.

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 16, 2006

Like I said, my fiance waited for 9 hrs to get a 360 last year and I was the idiot that sat with him for 7 of those hours! haha We were sitting in chairs inside of a 24hr Walmart, though and the things went on sale at midnight.
    I just can't imagine spending 2 nights outside the store sleeping in a tent to try to get the stupid thing! As far as I know, the store isn't opening until 8 or 9 am tomorrow and these people were there early yesterday afternoon.

12. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Nov 16, 2006

There are people camping out here in the rain. People have actually been selling their pre-order RECEIPTS on ebay for $3000! I can't believe it. My bf is also a nut, he has a whole room in our house dedicated to games and even he thinks it's ridiculous.

However, we have pre-ordered a Nintendo Wii. He only had to stand in line for an hour for that one.

13. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2006

If these people work, how in the world do you ask off of work for something like that? "Hey I need off to get my playstation!"?

14. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 16, 2006

I just left Circuit City and one of the managers said that they're only getting 6 of them. He said that Best Buy is probably only get 10 or 11 (there's about 50 people out there now!). The manager at Circuit City was smart, though and is telling people not to bother waiting because the 6 people that are getting them are already outside waiting and have been there since 8 yesterday morning!

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2006

The mania is going on in our areas as well. Best Buy has nine of them and they showed the people camping out tonight in tents!

16. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Nov 17, 2006

Last night ( Thursday), my husband decide to venture out. He thought he would turn around and sell it on Ebay. He called Walmart two days ago and they were getting ten units only. At 10:30, he left and when he got there about twenty people were in line waiting. He returned home with no unit needless to say. He didn't even wait. We live in a very tiny area and he thought "maybe" the rage wouldn't be there. Boy, did he think wrong! It is crazy what people do for gaming-my "boys" in the family included too.

17. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Nov 17, 2006

so beth did your boyfriend get one?

18. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 17, 2006

No, he didn't want one. He had thought about buying one to sell on ebay, but he said that he's only willing to wait in line for something if it doesn't involve actually sleeping there. So, considering the people in my area were there for 48hrs...there was no way he was getting one!

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2006

Did you hear that someone got shot today over PS3??? I can't remember where, but I think it was in Conn. I think they were getting robbed while waiting in line, and when they refused to give them the money, they got shot!:( In Milwaukee, a man was sent to the hospital after getting nearly trampled and shoved. He hit his head against a steel post. CRAZY STUPID PEOPLE!

20. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2006

That doesn't surprise me. But it sickens me. How on Earth can people be like that? UGH!:rolleyes:

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2006

The person who got killed was a teenager. How horrible is that??? How sad that a young person's life was ended short for no good darn reason. It's so stupid.

22. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2006

My son wants a Wii but it looks like he won't be getting it for Christmas. It comes out 11-19 which happens to be his birthday. When I was at Meijers today they said they only had 9 units. They said they were giving out wristbands for those 9 units. I asked her how to get a wrist band and she said that tomorrow sometime during the day, it could be at anytime, they will be making an announcement on the intercom. She said people will be staying in the store all day waiting for that announcement. No way would I do that. On top of it she said they have heard they are having many problems with the systems already and it is better to wait a few months.

23. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2006

Dh waited 36 hours outside Best Buy for one... I waited w/ him too off and on. It sucked lol.

24. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Nov 19, 2006

I went to Best Buy last night and saw people camping outside in tents. Man, those people are nuts. Sorry, but nothing material is worth it that much that I'd camp outside for it the entire night.

And can you believe this was front page news with the Chicago Tribune? Gosh, what is the world coming to? Aren't there more important things for ront page news than the new PS3 and how people are camping outside at places like Best Buy, Circuit City, and Radio Shack?

Quite hoenstly, I can't believe Gurnee police would allow that let alone Best Buy. IMHO, it's not safe to be camping out to be first in line for material things. After all, there's a lot of nutty people out there.

25. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2006

Costco is only selling them online as opposed to in the store, so that the employees do not buy them all.

26. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Nov 20, 2006

We had a crazy storm the night before they went on sale. Thunder, lightning, rain, wind. People must really want them to stay out in that!

Kelly :)

27. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Nov 20, 2006

Has any one checked on E-bay for the new games....... the PS3 up to and over $2500............ and no doubt people are paying that..........some day those people will grow up and come to their senses.

28. MissCaz

MissCaz Rookie

Nov 21, 2006

My boyfriend has the Wii ordered. It comes out in Australia on Dec 7th. I'm the nut who said yes to standing in line with him at the midnight launch. He's pre-ordered it but he's 74th on the list. I hope they actually get the number of units pre-ordered simply because he ordered it 2 months ago. Personally, I dont like his chances.

I was sickened to hear about that shooting. Its just soo wrong what some people do these days. That poor teenagers family.

29. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 21, 2006

Last year when the Xbox 360's came out my boyfriend pre-ordered his almost 5 months in advance. It came out in November and he ordered it in June. He didn't end up getting it from the store where he pre-ordered it until almost a month later. That's why we ended up in line for the midnight release the day it came out. He tried selling the pre-ordered one on ebay, but since it had already been out for a month they weren't selling for much more than what he paid for it so it sold it to a friend.

30. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Nov 21, 2006

Oh my...haha.

My fiance wanted a 360...but now he's interested in the PS3...my friend works at BestBuy and her and another co-worker camped out wednesday and thursday night to try and get one when they came out on Friday...her plan is to sell it for like $1500...not a bad idea!

I think the Nintendo Wi seems fun...a different concept...and not to mention you can play all the old games on there...the ones that I grew up with...how fun! haha...

31. MissCaz

MissCaz Rookie

Nov 22, 2006

Don't tell me that Beth!!! :eek: eeeek my boyfriend would be lost if he didnt get one on Dec 7th!! haha ;)

That said, he's found out that the actual Wii is at a local shopping centre here on display till sunday, so guess who got ropped into going with him 2moro night??? grrrrrrrr lol