Playing with the idea of flipping my geometry classes

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Aliceacc, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

Well, not really. Classes begin in a week and there simply isn't time to find enough quality material to really flip.

But I'm playing with the idea of reorganizing my approach, so that the kids are copying notes at home, and we're doing more problem solving in class. I think it could help me find the time to really devote to problem solving the way I want to. Then I could really put in some time over the summer and (assuming I'm teaching geometry again next year) fill in the holes.

Of course, that means I have to find:
    - quality notes/videos/websites to provide them with the material I want them to learn
    - more and (more importantly) better examples. If I'm not using class time to have them copy theorems, then I have time for better examples.

For the notes, I could always flesh out my own notes, and put up each week's on my webpage, including links to Khan Academy or other sites.

For the problems, I think I'm going to tear apart a few of the SAT books I have lying around. As coincidence would have it, we're also doing a massive cleanout of the textbooks we have lying around the school, so I can cannibalize some of them as well.

Anyone have any suggestions/comments/anything???

I really wish I had thought of this in June!!!

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 28, 2012

Are you sure all of your students would actually go home and take quality notes? It could be problematic for those who don't do it. I would pilot it with an honors class where the kids will definitely follow through.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they would.

I check the homework every day; my kids tend to do their homework.

Again, this year would be a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants type of shot at it, not the type of flips I've read about.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

Don't you hate it when you come up with great ideas at the last minute (okay, the next to last minute). I wish I could offer suggestions, but that's way out of my area of expertise.

I like the idea of using your class time for the problem-solving!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

I've been playing with that all summer, Mrs. C. I really want to teach my kids to let the problem lead them, instead of approachng each problem the same way.

7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 28, 2012

Could you try it for just one unit this year to see if it would be a good idea for next year?

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 28, 2012

How would you track that they are actually keeping up with their notes? (This may be totally irrelevant, I teach elementary :)) I think a mixture of your own notes plus Khan Academy would be good. From the videos I've watched on Khan, some of them are really easy to understand, and some have confused my kiddos to the point of no return!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

What I'm thinking (and this really just occurred to me today during the faculty meeting) was starting off slow.

Maybe assign the kids to copy the definitions, theorems, and postulates on particular pages as homework... I could certainly give them a bunch per night, since there's no figuring out to do. For some topics, I could assign a video, but this first year I could do a quick explanation in class-- or better yet, have them explain aloud to the class. (Again, over the summer, I could work on replacing the textbook pages with more and more videos. Not ideal, but classes start next Tuesday.There simply isn't time to preview everything, and I will not ever assign something I haven't previewed. My parents didn't raise any idiots :) )

But all that time they spend copying theorems-- in Geometry, it's really a big chunk of the course-- could then be spent on problem solving.

Oh, and if I try it and it doesn't work, I go back to what's worked in the past.

10. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2012

Could you start recording yourself teaching this year and then edit them over the summer?

Or maybe phase it in a day or two from each unit to test it out?

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 28, 2012

Recording yourself is a good idea. Xtranormal is a type to speech movie maker - you type it in and it makes a movie http://www.xtranormal.com/

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

I could even mix it up... see what's out there, and use the videos for those topics, then teach the remainder in a more traditional manner.

The thing about geometry is that most of the basic rules are easy-- it's frequently a matter of teaching a new theorem, then using it for the remainder of the class. There are lots of time when there's not a lot of explanation necessary until you hit the problem solving part of the lesson.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

That looks so cool!!!!

I'm going to play with it tomorrow.

Know any free alternatives?

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 28, 2012

15. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Aug 28, 2012

16. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 28, 2012

Oh no! The basic is free and the educator was free even a few weeks ago, I didn't know it changed :(

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

The volume on my own computer is out... don't ask. And Kira is on Peter's computer.

So I've just sent myself an email at work; I'll take a chunk of time tomorrow and look at all this stuff.

Thanks guys!

Oh, and Tasha, no big deal. I'll get school to pay for the account if it's something I want to play with.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

I'm currently working on a very similar plan in my own classroom. I don't have any ideas to share as of yet, but feel free to post questions or ideas as you move along in the process. We can work it out together. I know there are a couple other people who are also beginning the flipping process who would probably love to join in on the conversation.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

How does this sound????

What I've done so far today is compile a huge list of math sites, mostly interactive ones.

When I get the chance, I'll go through them and pull out anything that looks good, and plug it into last year's plan book for the appropriate lesson... I can just make a list of the videos, with the date I taught the material last year. (Of course this year things will vary a bit, but it should make it easy to organize.)

I'll see where I stand in a few days.

Oh, and I just tore apart an old Barron's SAT book. (I teach 2 different SAT classes, so I have a bunch of them lying around. I've pulled out the math sections of 3 old tests (the rest in this particular book had been done.) Any geometry problems are going to be labeled the same way: with the date I taught the topic last year.

20. Math

Math Cohort

Aug 28, 2012

I was taught Geometry by having homework assignments that were read Chapter 3 section 2. Then you were to try to get an idea of what the section was talking about. This way in class when the concept was being explained it made WAY more sense. If you did not read it was pretty obvious when you were asking questions that were clearly answered already in the section. I loved the way she taught... simply amazing! When we did not understand what was taught it was said to use any online resource to practice with. Personally I did not like Khan Academy I just liked watching the youtube channel specifically for math help. It helped me everytime I was confused.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

That's kind of what I'm going for, Math, but with a bit more structure and as much video explanation as I can find in the next week or so. And with as many of the more complicated problems as I can find or come up with that will tie into the material.

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

Are you going to include guided notes or cloze activities (or something else) to go along with the videos? It might help ensure that your students are actually getting something out of them, instead of just watching and listening with no real comprehension.

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

24. Math

Math Cohort

Aug 28, 2012

I'm sure it will definitely work out for you. :)
    I know you are a great teacher! :thumb:

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

I love when teachers look for ways to reinvent, in new and effective ways, what is already working! This kind of teaching puts more of the ownership on the students, allows them to make their own connections to the material and brings out more critical thinking than the traditional 'sage on the stage' kind of teaching where info and answers are provided...
    Good for you for mulling this over:thumb:

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

Oh, they'll need to take notes, either from a textbook or a video; they'll be taking the same trimester and final exam as the kids who have other teachers.

So I'm thinking that a night's homework would be to watch a video, or look through the textbook, and copy down any definitions, postulates, or theorems... the same notes that they would have taken had I explained those concepts in class.

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 29, 2012

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  28. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2012

Alice---do you have a smartboard or any interactive whiteboards available to you in the school? You can easily use these to make free videos for the students.

Also, if you have hand written notes, just scan them and you can easily make them available to the students.

I did some of this over the summer. It was time consuming, but not nearly as tough of a project as I thought it was going to be.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2012

No, mopar, we don't. And my handwritten notes are minmal-- I haven't used real notes in years. I pretty much have a list of things I want to teach, not any definitions or explanations.

30. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Aug 29, 2012

Alice (and other looking into flipping), you may be interested in this woman's Youtube videos. I watched one on why she flipped her classroom a while back and it inspired me to start flipping. I haven't watched all of the videos but she has a ton that address some common problems/FAQ related to flipped instruction.

She is a math teacher so you might find it particularly helpful.
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB632EC24182B4D40

31. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 29, 2012

I don't think they were very fair to KA! Until the media got hold of Sal Khan, his videos were relatively unknown. I don't think he has ever tried to tout his videos as the end-all to math instruction, like these guys were portraying. And I think they are missing the point of flipping-the how should be at home, the why should be in class the next day. :2cents:

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 29, 2012

33. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 29, 2012

You've been given some great advice, and I don't have anything really to add to it, but I would like to say that I'm REALLY excited to see you embracing this idea! Many of the AP and Dual Credit teachers in my district are doing it this year, and I think it has some real potential. There is a LOT of support out there for teachers doing the same thing, so keep searching Google. You might even set up a "Google alert" for "flipped classroom" and see what you can find!

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2012

I think that, at best, I'll be able to manage a very slow roll over, as opposed to a flip. With so little time left before classes start, I can't see myself having time to pull together the right materials.

But what I think I'll aim for is a combination of my traditional style and that of a flipped class. Some nights their homework will be watching a video, or even just copying particular info from the text; other times it will be the more traditional assignments. I'll decide based on the videos and materials I'm able to get a hold of. I would much rather do it partially than do it poorly, and I'm not sure I've left myself enough time to fully do it well.

But I couldn't sleep last night; my mind was humming with ideas. I'm hoping to find some time over the weekend, if not before, to really pull together some material. The more I find that I like (Or have time to make myself, using that site someone recommended last night) the more "flipped" lessons I'll have. I refuse to change simply for the sake of changing; if I'm going to assign a video for homework, it's going to have to be of the quality of a lesson I would have taught myself. Anything less simply won't do. So I suspect that the search for materials may be pretty time consuming.

If you come across anything that relates geometry, could you guys be kind enough to pass it on? We cover basic set theory inludling Venn Diagrams, then move on to traditional Euclidean Geometry: triangles, quadrilaterals, circles, area, surface area, volume, intro to trig, regular polygons. At the end of the year we do proofs.

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2012

I've been looking during the week, and am starting to find some resources. I think that my instincts were right; I'm going to go into this slowly, with perhaps the idea of better implementation next year. For this year, I'll be on the lookout for videos like the ones I've already found that fit my own teaching style-- those are the lessons I'll flip.

Recording my own lessons, or making my own videos, are simply too large a bite for me right now. With 3 kids, a husband (who still has that PICC line and can't wash a dish with his broken finger), religion to teach after school and National Honor Society all on my plate I simply don't see it happening to the standard I would want

So, just as I want to spend this year teaching my kids to let the problem lead them, I'll spend this year letting the resources I find lead my own teaching style.

I'm looking forward to it; it should be fun!

36. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Sep 12, 2012

Search for brightstorm videos on youtube. Last year I used some of those videos from their website brightstorm.com where everything was organized by textbook (math, sciences, english). Unfortunately they decided to charge $30/mo. subscription now.

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2012

I'm having fun with this.

The beginning of Geometry is a LOT of definitions. We're building the language those first weeks, so there's a lot of very basic vocab to be learned.

Tuesday night I assigned a TeacherTube video, and last night it was one from Khan Academy. With yesterday's class of notes, it meant I was able to get a lot of vocab in within a very short period of time. It means that today we'll be able to do some problem solving in class.

A few of my kids-- maybe 6 or 7 out of about 200-- had some trouble accessing the teachertube video. I asked them to try again, get the notes if necessary, and keep me informed. If that becomes too big an issue, I'll re-evaluate either using Teacher Tube or the whole approach; I'm still pretty open about the fact that this is an experiment.

I'm not sure that I'll ever totally flip. I like the way I explain things, but can't see investing the time to come up with a video for each lesson I teach. Plus a big part of the way I teach is to ellicit the answers from the kids; it's hard to make the videos interactive. But they may be the answer to a prayer for some parts of my Geometry syllabus.

Tonight we have parent orientation for freshmen parents, so I'll be meeting the parents of my advanced class. I'm interested in seeing their reaction to this. (My soph parents are next week.)

38. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 13, 2012

Yeah, my husband had the problem of making the videos when he first started this. Now he just edits them year to year, so it's much less time consuming. It was a ton of work those first couple of years, though.

39. McParadigm

McParadigm Companion

Sep 14, 2012

I still say that classroom flipping will never see its true potential until we emphasize the use of exploration-based interactivities over the use of videos. When that happens...then you'll really see something cool.

40. mathrulz

mathrulz Rookie

Sep 14, 2012

I love this idea!

I teach honors geo and I always hated taking so much time in class for students to take notes - especially with so many definitions, theorems, and postulates. I would love to hear any resources gathered from others and will share any I find.

I agree with you, Alice, a slow, well thought out implementation is better than a mediocre, "just get it done" roll out. I think I will take this year to put together the resources and unroll it slowly later this year or even wait until next year.

I am so excited!

41. rnehila

rnehila New Member

Sep 15, 2012

This is exactly what I am doing in my 7th/8th math classes! I just make up a powerpoint with the main idea, vocab definitions, and 2 examples. They copy it into their notebook for homework. So far I have done 2 lessons with them and it looks EXTREMELY promising! Friday was bliss. I reached so many students in class and saw so much learning actually taking place I pretty much had tears in my eyes I was so excited and hopeful for a great year :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.