playing solitaire when subbing?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Summersoff, May 9, 2008.

1. Summersoff

Summersoff Rookie

May 9, 2008

is it ever ok to play internet games when subbing? The kids have a packet to do all day every period and I really cant help them, but if another teacher or principal sees me playing on the internet do you think they would mind?

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

May 9, 2008

It probably depends on the school and the principal.

Are the students really working on their packets? Are they behaving themselves? Are they using their cell phones?

I often have "busy work" to give to high school students when I sub. I bring along magazines, coupons to clip, etc. I get on the computer, if I'm able. I usually check Aesop for upcoming sub jobs and come here to AtoZ! As long as the students are well-behaved, no one has a problem with it (for me).

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 9, 2008

In my honest opinion, I think it will make you look bad. If you really cannot help the students, and are desperate for something to do, I'd read a book.

5. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

May 9, 2008

I wouldn't do it...I have had sub's who did similar things the whole day and it even upsets the kids. I'd come back from being gone and they'd say "the sub didn't do anything all day! She gave us the work and sat at your desk and played with her phone and sent text messages and played games all day!" If it upsets the kids, it's a problem! And they may not say anything to you....but if noone is there to say anything other than the students, if the teacher comes back and they say "all she did was sit on the computer the whole period!" it doesn't look good on you.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 9, 2008

I think playing games isn't a great idea. A better activity would be reading or hanging out here on A to Z.

:)

7. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

May 9, 2008

I wouldn't do it! When I subbed, I never went on the computer for anything that wasn't related to what I was assigned to do.
    I agree with Lives4Math - even if an adult doesn't catch you, the students will tell!

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 9, 2008

I agree that it is never okay to play online games when the students are in the room. I've come here to AtoZ when I've subbed when the students had specials and I wasn't needed anywhere else. One day I was in the ISS room, so I was on AtoZ, lesson plan pages, and anything educational related in case someone came in, but usually I had plenty of warning before that happened.

9. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

May 9, 2008

I wouldn't play on the computer at all. If I really have nothing to do I usually walk the classroom to make my presence known and think through my life issues :)

10. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

May 9, 2008

I agree with the others...not a good idea. I NEVER use the teacher's computer when I'm subbing. And the only time I read a book is when they're at their special. I just think it sends the wrong message if someone were to walk in.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 9, 2008

I've never played games on another teacher's computer, even on my planning periods as a sub. At the most, I will check my email quickly. Otherwise, I have a discrete crossword puzzle book for in between laps around the classroom (it's easier to keep your figure when you're constantly moving, anyway).

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 9, 2008

No, stay off the computer. Read.

13. Summersoff

Summersoff Rookie

May 9, 2008

ok thanks, i only ask bc i have access with username and password bc i student taught in the district....but i will take your advice.

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 9, 2008

Good answer...!!!!

you can always say you are looking for some ideas for a lesson...which is how most of us got here!

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 9, 2008

My mom said, "Whenever you are working you are being watched." That means, you are paid to do something. Playing games is not the answer. Many schools don't allow you on computers for this reason. You could go to some site or load some software and mess up the entire system.

You can always put together your portfolio, gather ideas for lesson plans, draft letters for references, and the all time best answer...read school memos.

Can't go wrong there.

However, a good teacher always works the room. You should get up at least once every 12-15 minutes..(not on the clock) and walk around, ask kids if they need help, and offer advice..even if they don't need it.

Trust me, that is when the princpal will come in.

I subbed for a teacher who had a student teacher. She left a note that said, "I have a st...don't do anything. You are only there as the certified staff." Are you kidding me? I started walking around the room, looking at the turtle and lizzard.

A lady came in, and started going up to each child, hugging them, and asking questions. I thought she was a aide.

Next thing I know, the principal comes in on the PA and says her good morning speech, The Pledge, and then she says..

"I have been around in every room, like I do every morning..and I see the great things that you and your teachers are doing."

I didn't even realize that was her in my room! :unsure:

16. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

May 9, 2008

I don't think it is a good idea either

I wouldn't play any online games. I also sub in a district where they give subs a special code to get on the computers. I hardly ever do it when I actually have kids. If I do get online when kids are in the room it is only when they are watching a movie and then it is only to check my sub job websites. I never get on anything of a personal nature when there are kids in the room. Right now I am in a sub job that has since become long term. As such I have suddenly become responsible for planning lessons so if the kids are busy and don't need my help I check out some online teacher websites. That is just my two cents.

Mldouglas

17. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 9, 2008

I don't think it is a good idea. What would you say if someone came back and said that something went on in the classroom and asked what you had observed. You wouldn't be able to give a true answer because your attention was divided. I wouldn't be able to play games on the computer as a teacher and i wouldn't want my sub to do it either. I leave my computer turned off and it is password protected. We aren't supposed to leave the teacher computer on for the substitute to use.

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 9, 2008

On other jobs, reading, talking or texting on your phone or even office phone, and playing on the computer is considered grounds for suspension. You are doing personal things on company time. You can't be effectively supervising the children when you are on the computer. The only exception is if you must do attendance, which is usually a few clicks here and there.

19. Calliope

Calliope Companion

May 9, 2008

Honestly it wouldn't be a big deal at my school... but then we are so desperate for subs, we can't be picky at all. It wouldn't bother me. The thing that is REALLY frowned on is talking or text messaging on a cell phone.

When I leave lessons for a sub, I actually copy individual instruction sheets for the students. All the sub has to do is to hand them out. It keeps my students from saying that the sub didn't tell them to do something, & it means the sub can interract as much or as little as he/she wants to. I figure life as a sub is hard enough I want to make his/her life as easy as possible.

20. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 10, 2008

I'm kind of surprised that anyone is recommending a sub doing anything other than supervising/interacting with students here.

My perspective is of a kindergarten teacher who has never subbed, so take it or leave it.

I guess if you are sitting all day in a class where a teacher has left packets and students are working independently all day, then it must get amazingly boring. I always leave lesson plans for my subs, not work packets. Kindergartners are not usually the most independent of workers.

When I was student teaching there was a sub one day who sat and read a novel. I was shocked. I guess she assumed that since I was there she didn't have to do anything. So I taught the class. But I hadn't taken over the class yet, so I wasn't expecting to.

21. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 10, 2008

No it is not okay if there are children in the room

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 10, 2008

I agree. While I often leave work that the students can work on without direct instruction, they doesn't mean that they don't need assistance, guidance, monitoring, etc.

23. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 10, 2008

That's my thought too. Even if they are independent, they need support and monitoring.

Doing pleasure work tells them you are a babysitter not a professional. Why should they listen to you if there ends up being a problem?

24. tomfoolery

tomfoolery Rookie

May 10, 2008

Only do what you would do if you were a full time teacher. If you want everyone to see as a classroom teacher, you have to act like one.

25. smarkham01

smarkham01 Companion

May 10, 2008

I usually take my own laptop on each assignment. On one occasion several students ask what game I was playing. There are only two "games" on this laptop (I'm not much of a gamer) and when I explained to the class that I was keeping contemporaneous notes for the teacher they didn't believe me. I read a few lines from my notes (leaving out names) and suddenly every student was as angelic as could be!

Nope, I wouldn't do anything "personal" on their time. It just isn't right for me.

26. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

May 10, 2008

You were given that username and password when you were a student teacher. You are no longer in that position so I wouldn't be logging on if I were you. If they wanted you, as a sub, to have a username and password that would give you one. If you are looking to get hired I wouldn't do anything like reading and playing games. You are hired to do a job and I am sure that doesn't include playing games on the computer.

27. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 10, 2008

I think what everyone should remember - subs and teachers alike - is that your IT person can track EVERYWHERE you go on the internet very quickly and simply. So someone donesn't have to "see" you playing games for them to know you have been playing games.

28. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

May 10, 2008

Exactly INteacher! Many jobs out there in the world, jobs from all walks of life, monitor what you do. Many even have policies that say you can't use the internet for personal reasons. I know we can't. We aren't allowed to check our personal email from school, use the internet for anything other than school reasons, and we can't forward those stupid jokes people pass along in emails. This is all written up in our employee handbook. Some people may think this sounds to strict but hey, they are paying us and can make any rules they want.

29. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

May 11, 2008

I agree, don't use the computer to play games.

I can tell when subs are reading when they are in my class instead of helping kids. Why?

The kids tell me they were afraid to ask for help because the sub was busy. I ask them what the sub was doing and they say "reading a magazine" (subs don't have comp. access so its not possible here). Also, things just seem to walk off when I have subs that aren't watching. Its really frustrating to come back from being sick and seeing your room has been ransacked.

Please watch the kids.

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 11, 2008

ARE YOU KIDDING?????:eek:

I hope you aren't subbing as a way to 'get your foot in the door'... Why not ask at the office if there is some admnsitrative work you could take with you to the classroom to work on?

31. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 11, 2008

don't forget...they can see in the history everywhere you have been...do you really want your employer to know this???

32. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 11, 2008

Also I know the quality of work that kids do is much higher when there are a pair of eyes on them.

33. SSA

SSA Companion

May 12, 2008

While there are some legitimate uses of the teacher's computer contrary to what some people said playing solitaire or any other games certainly isn't one of them.

As a sub the only time I use any computer in the classroom for anything that I couldn't rationalize as relevant to the class lesson at hand would be to check to see whether there were any sub assignments available and even I tend to be reluctant to do that while the students were in the classroom. There are prep periods, passing periods, lunch, etc. to check to see if there are any sub assignments that you can grab before someone else does.

Pretty much anything beyond that seems like you are doing personal business on company time, which is a bad idea regardless of the job title. Even if you have no intention of subbing for very long never mind becoming a regular teacher I think that it is best to appear to be a good employee to administrators. Even if you go into another field having a good reference from a school administrator at bare minimum demonstrates that you probably show up to work on time and are a fairly responsible person.

Compared to most jobs a sub might only encounter a supervisor/administrator inside the classroom a handful of times in a month. You might on task 95%+ of the time, but if a administrator drops in while you are playing solitaire it will look very bad on your part and it will take a long time for the administrator to see you on task enough to consider that one time atypical.

. It is best to not take the chance that the only thing the administrator will remember from your tenure is that you aren't serious and are only there to show up and collect a paycheck.

Really you should go around the room every ~5 minutes at the very least. A classroom can go from students whom are relative silent and on task and descend into chaos in minutes.

I do bring a book to read, but generally speaking 90%+ of the reading I do during the school day is during lunch and prep periods when there are no students I am responsible for teaching. Most classes you can't take your eyes off the students more than a few minutes before someone starts messing around.

34. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 12, 2008

Exactly! Students can be extremely sneaky when a substitute is in the room. If your head is down or facing away from them for too long, they have been known to completely sneak out of the room. Thankfully, this hasn't happened to me (knock on five pieces of wood).

35. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 15, 2008

I do it and no one seems to care except for while students are in the room or if they need me.

36. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 16, 2008

ok, so how ironic is this???

why did I get a sub job as a library aide...with 4 planning periods?!

I was free the first period, and after 3 classes, a 1/2 hr lunch, plus 2 1/2 hrs planning time....then 3 more classes

In my case..I had no children to instruct or supervise. So I thought it was fitting to read. I was paid to sit...so I sat. A few teachers popped in, dropped off books, picked up materials, and some kids stopped in to take tests, so I know I did the right thing...by staying in the room the entire time, except for lunch.

Never touched the computers!

37. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 17, 2008

Ya I know what you mean.I was in the library for 4 out 5 days. I was the only one in there tho. I had the computers on to check in and out books per the Librarians instructions.

38. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 19, 2008

I had a long term sub job, and this teacher had afterschool program once a week. Get this...she had high schooler supervise students and plan lessons - in the computer lab! Part of district/city plan for developing youth & employment. This kid did all the work. I was just certified staff in room! :eek:

It was nice to have extra $65, but honestly...I feel guilty when I work and have nothing to do. :confused:

39. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 20, 2008

I feel guilty when I have nothing to do also.

40. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 20, 2008

But you shouldn't feel guilty! It's still your job to make sure that everything is okay and everyone is safe. If there were a fire or a fire drill, you'd be in charge--a student wouldn't.

41. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 20, 2008

Yes Cassie, but you know what I(we) mean. Real work is when you are responsible for doing something from the minute you come in until you leave. In this case, and when I had the student teacher, I was just there. When you try to help or even look over somebody's shoulder, they feel threatened, they are supposed to be in charge.

The basic stuff you mentioned is just par for the course.