Playing music during play/center time

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Butterfly4, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Jul 29, 2009

Hi Teachers,
    I'm looking for some websites, articles, some kind of documentation that supports playing music while children play.

My husband and I are having a "debate" this week. He feels that it's fine to have the tv on while our 20 month old daughter plays in the room. Noting violent or graphic, like cash cab, everybody loves raymond, dirty jobs, etc.

I disagree. I think that even though she's not "watching" it, she still looks up at it from time to time and it's a distractor and not going to allow her to develop a normal attention span. I have found a couple articles online to support this.

However, I can't find anything that supports playing music. Because my husband came back with..."well then playing music would do the same thing".

So, I'm basically looking for some support to help me win this debate...that is assuming I am correct.

Thanks!!

3. Hummingbrd

Hummingbrd Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

A study published in the journal Childhood Development found that background TV could hinder learning and lessen attention spans in toddlers.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends ZERO hours in front of the television for infants and toddlers under age 3.

Read about the study here:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Story?id=5373242&page=1

4. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Jul 29, 2009

I guess I am the minority on this one. We have a TV on almost all the time. Granted my kids are older, but even when they were little they were in the room when it was on. I am a product of the 80's and remember the whole censorship nonsense, so I don't censor my children. No, that doesn't mean they have free reign, but I do let them watch what they want within reason.

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 29, 2009

I have to say, the TV is turned off mostly here. And it isn't necessarily due to age, just due to not liking tv in general.

I also only use music during times when dancing, playing, singing or sleeping is happening. We don't just use it as backgroud all the time. Many of my children have been given the ADD label and those that have not are hovering close to the edge. We find that it does interfere with the concentration and that our children's misbehavior during classroom time is more concentrated in enviornments that run music all the time.

That said---I don't think either of them are an all or nothing situation.

6. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Jul 29, 2009

Ok, I guess I misunderstood. I don't use the TV in my classroom. We don't even have one in the building. I use music; lots and lots of music. At home my TV is always on!

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 29, 2009

No the op was talking about home. I have children at home as well---and they are the ADD ones. Even at home there are times concentration is important (ie, board games or homework).

Sorry to confuse anyone. I was talking about classrooms in relation to my own son and his distractability skyrocketing during years with all music all day programs.

8. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 31, 2009

I don't have music on in my classroom during play time or work time as I have found it to not sooteh and clam but add more chaos. Even "soothing music" is noise and when the children are trying to concentrate on things whether it's work or thier play, it's a distraction