Playing director for a day

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Beverly, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

Hi!

I have a question for those who work in daycare. I'm director-qualified, but I was not hired as a director, nor am I paid or trained more than a teacher. My question is, when I'm subbing as director, does it effect my name and reputation if our center is found in violation? The nursery teachers, for example, do things that aren't dangerous, per se, but aren't following the regulations, like letting a child sleep in a bouncy seat instead of moving them to their cribs. Any thoughts on this?

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2009

hhhhmmmmm, that is hard. If you don't it's possible to get in trouble and if you do if can make your working life miserable. I would ask the director and if she says to correct those things she needs to have a faculty meeting and tell that is what she expects and you will to. That will take some of the heat off you in case you have to make hard decisions/commands.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2009

I would think that if those things are found while you are acting as director, then yes, it could come back on you.

5. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

It seems like common practice in daycares to leave people who weren't hired as directors in charge, and I just think it would be ridiculous to punish someone who hasn't been trained on all the regulations. Having a teaching certificate is no training for being a daycare director. Ahhhhhh, the regulations! I've tried to educate myself as much as I can on those, but really, I have my own classroom to run. :)

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2009

Beverly~it isn't fair that the director leaves and puts you in a bind like that, and you can only take care of regulations that you are aware of.

7. pabef

pabef Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

I am a director in Mississippi. When we are inspected, any violations reflect on the center as a whole. The director is responsible for correcting any violations. My assistant director, even if she is in charge that day, will not be affected. Your director should not allow anything that is clearly a violation to continue. You should definately address this to her.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 18, 2009

Yes, I think you will assume the blame. Our state regs state that you have to have had director training in order to be in charge when the director is gone. And, we have to post all who have been trained. For instance, when a teacher in my center lost a child, the teacher got fired, and I (as director) had to take further actions to make sure no other children got lost.

9. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

Well, I didn't sign anything about being a director, so that's comforting. Pabef, the teacher in the nursery told me that my boss said "it's fine". I was like, "Not when I'm in here." lol. I guess I can't stop my boss from making stupid decisions, but I'm not going to stand back and watch.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 19, 2009

Beverly, can your director get in trouble for not leaving someone in charge?

11. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 19, 2009

In our state the person who is supposed to be in charge is still responsible----even if they aren't doing their job. So the program would be written up for something and the teachers involved, and the program. I am sure the sub person still gets some grief, but it would be worse for the one who has the job in reality.

12. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Jun 19, 2009

I would be careful what duties you take on. When something goes down and people say that you were "in charge" you may find yourself on the chopping block. I have worked as a manager in a large corporate child care center and I never left anyone in charge that was not a part of managment. However, I have seen directors point the finger at someone who was trying to help and have them fired to save their own neck.

It can also greatly effect your rep. if a licensor or someone else gets the idea that you were the one who let the violation occur. I have seen so many, many people have their career lost to silly things. If you are going to act as director it is better to be the witch then to let staff get away with violations.

13. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 19, 2009

i agree to it all

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 19, 2009

To be sure, read your state regulations.

15. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jun 19, 2009

Good point. It's easy for me to do if I can clearly understand the reason for the regulation, but I'm not sure I understand the bouncy seat thing. The two reasons that I can think of are that a bouncy seat is less sanitary because the crib is always used for the same baby, and that they don't want to encourage caretakers to just let the child sleep all day and/or not be moved from the same spot for long periods of time.

There just seems to be SO much to keep track of. I don't envy directors at all! I certainly don't want to let my daycare background affect my reputation. Not now that I have finished my certificate and Master's degree!

Anyone know why brooms can't be kept in the classroom? LOL. I've had parents say that we should let the children sweep the floor after meals, but teachers always do at our center because I just feel that it's more sanitary.

16. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 19, 2009

:)our licensers say that the broom issue is that they are germy and that they fall and hit children.

the issue with the bouncy seat is that children shouldn't be in any contraption for more than 20 min after that holding time or tummy time or bed. so the sleeping in the bouncy seat contradicts that. in addition if it is "back to sleep" in order to combat sids then you can't be in a contraption because you aren't on the back.

that is just here, and it is just the rules. i don't have to like the rules - i just have to do them and know them.

but here that the reasoning. hope that helps beverly

17. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jun 19, 2009

Thanks, WaProvider. I really appreciate that! :)

18. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 19, 2009

You are really welcome. Glad my words could help.

19. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jun 21, 2009

violatons should reflect on the center as a whole and if on a particular person, it should be the staff person who is immedietly responsible ie the classroom teacher. the DIRECTOR would be the one ultimately responsible for and having to answer for any vilations, not you if you are jsut filling in. Generally violations are not written up person specific butcente specific.

20. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Jun 22, 2009

sarzacsmom, you bring up good points and I agree that the director and the classroom teacher should be the responsible parties. Unfortunatley child care like any work place is often political. I knew my licensor pretty well and I could tell you there were people he liked and people he did not for various reasons. If he went to a center for a violation and it was a director he liked he would hold the person acting as manager responsible. I saw plenty of people take the heat for something they shouldn't have.

The reality in child care is you are always responsible. Even if you just witness an incident and don't report it. That leaves the door open sometimes to unfair practices, like firing people unjustly. I worked for a large corporation and saw lots of people lose their career because a manager was protecting their own job security. Honestly, my advice was always don't do it if they don't pay you to.