Playground monitor

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Learner4Life, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 13, 2012

So this weekend, we went to a wedding that got waaaaay out of hand after everyone had too much to drink. Long story short, punches were thrown, cops were called, bride did dramatic flop on the ground in her wedding dress...
    Admittedly, I had a couple glasses of wine but I felt it was my responsibility to make sure that everyone got home safe, that things got inside so that nothing would get stolen,to make sure the kids didn't see/hear/know about the drama, to comfort the bride, etc. The next day, my husband (my sober driver) asked me why we didn't leave earlier in the night. He said he was ready to go a long time before any of the drama ensued. And to be quite honest with you, we probably should have! We are friends with these people but not best friends. We knew before even going to the wedding that there would be drama, we didn't know how, but they are those types of people. Things probably would have been handled in a similar way if we were not there!
    My brother-in-law, teased me that I didn't always have to be the playground monitor, but I sorta feel like I do.

Does anyone else feel like they are constantly the responsible one, even if they don't need to be?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2012

Responsible for my own behavior? Absolutely.

Responsible for the safety of kids, as much as is within my power? Yes. It's hard to turn the "mommy" off.

Responsible for the behaviors or belongings of adults who don't know when to stop drinking? Nope.

How very sad that what should have been one of the most cherished days of their lives ended up with the police breaking up a brawl.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2012

I tend to want to straighten up lines wherever i go..but I don't bust up brawls.:whistle:

What a nice way for the couple to start their married life...:dizzy:

5. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 13, 2012

Oh, I didn't bust up the brawl. I was hugging the bride as she bawled.

The nice thing, I guess, is that this was just their commitment ceremony in front of friends and family. They had been married for 2 years.

6. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2012

I recently intervened when a group of parents were loudly vocal about an inaccuarte score on the scoreboard.

"It's just a scoreboard run by 12 year olds!"

GEESH!