Playground Equipment

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bumble, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Apr 23, 2010

Today I was watching some of our students being kids. You know, playing tag, etc...Well I saw a kid use an empty bottle as a football. The kids were loving it and joining in. It really saddens me that our students aren't even given a ball to play with. We all know what the suburban schools have. They have the nice playgrounds and playground equipment. Will education ever be equal? And PLEASE don't use the "well the parents pay higher taxes in the suburbs". Kids are kids. They didn't chose where to live.

The point of my post is to find resources where I find schoolyard equipment for free. We don't care if it was used before.

Thank you in advance!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2010

Donorschoose is one great resource for funding grant proposals...
    Also try blanket mailing sports equipment companies- it's unbelievable what you can get for free if you just ask.
    Campbells soup labels
    Boxtops for Education program

4. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Apr 23, 2010

This has everything to do with your school's administration, and nothing to do with the socioeconomic status of the kids.

Your principal has a budget and decides where to apply the money. Obviously, it's not going towards playground equipment. We have balls, hoola hoops, jump ropes. I've worked in poorer schools in this district and we have had playground equipment.

That being said, I agree with above poster about Donorschoose. I just received 4 sets of leveled books that I put in for a couple of months ago. It is an excellent way to finance projects.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2010

Jem frequently posts about freecycle. I know nothing about them, but wonder if they might be an option to explore?

Also, are there any schools (public, private or charter) in your area closing? You might be able to purchase some playground equipment at a decent price.

6. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Apr 23, 2010

schoolteacher, don't get me started on our admin...

Alice, that is a GREAT idea. I never thought about asking the schools that are closing.

czacza, I heard about donorschoose.org, but I thought they were devoted to projects. Would I have to turn my proposal for play ground equipment into a project?

Thank you!

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Apr 23, 2010

Do you have a PTA at your school? If so, they may be able to purchase some balls, jump ropes, chalk, hula hoops for your students to use. One year I bought quite a few items at garage sales very inexpensively and kept them in my room. My students were responsible for them and shared them with whomever was on the playground at the time. They made sure they were brought back in. Otherwise no play items.

8. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Apr 23, 2010

You're lucky. When I worked in an urban district, my school and most others didn't even get to have recess.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2010

My SIL is a member of freecycle and now that my family and I are out of the country, she gets a lot of clothes for my daughter from there and sends it here.

10. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 23, 2010

Exactly what was said above about the administration.

There are also other ways to get playground equipment. IE, the suburban school that I teach in gets playground balls from money raised through "Boxtops for education." And that's something that even a school with 100% of the children coming from families on welfare can do. (the small town school I attended in the 90s used boxtops for education to put a computer in every classroom. And that district only had 900 students in K-12, and not everyone participated in bringing in boxtops)

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 23, 2010

I worked with an organization called KaBOOM that builds playgrounds in low-income communities. Maybe submit an app with them?

http://kaboom.org/

12. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2010

Bumble PM me and I will send you some footballs and soccer balls.
    Just let me know where you are. Garage sales are GREAT for pe stuff.

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 23, 2010

Ask the parents to donate used equipment. I am a grandmother and have about 7 basketballs in my back yard. And, I would go out and buy you a dozen jump ropes.

14. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Apr 23, 2010

I'm going garage sailing tomorrow, so I'll keep my eyes out for some goodies to send your way!

15. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Apr 23, 2010

I like to buy those bouncy balls from Old Navy. They're only 25 cents each. Sidewalk chalk is easy to find at a dollar store.... I went to a festival and a bank was giving away frisbees. I pulled my "teacher card" and asked for a donation. I think the lady gave me something like 40 frisbees! Good luck to you!

16. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Apr 24, 2010

Teachers at our school have been providing ball, jump ropes, frisbees, ect for years. We received a health and Safety grant a few years ago and some of that money was used to purchase some new items. Sadly, it is all in a closet in the upper grade hall way. Even sadder, those kids (5-8) don't have recess on a regular basis.

17. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 24, 2010

I don't know if Nike donates out of state, but I know they give away a lot of stuff.