playground accident

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by tx ppcd, Sep 17, 2006.

1. tx ppcd

tx ppcd Rookie

Sep 17, 2006

Hi,
    I teach an early childhood special ed class. Last week, one of my kids bumped her head when she fell off the slide. She didn't cry and her checked her over and she seemed ok. When we got back in the room, I noticed a bump forming on her forehead so she did hit the pole next to the slide. I took her to the nurse and she gave her an icepack. The next day her mom was at the school upset(as I was told because no one ever came to get me) saying things like she wasn't being supervised, she doesn't want her to play outside ever agin, etc. Have any of you dealt with this??

3. aprilgurlie

aprilgurlie Rookie

Sep 17, 2006

Yes, and it is annoying. Parents need to realize that getting hurt is a part of growing up!!! Most are fine but then there are those psychos that get angry every time their kid falls down and skins their knee. How am I supposed to prevent that? Tell the kid that they can't run at recess? Or even walk, I suppose, because hey, you could trip over something?

The kids at the school I taught at last year couldn't even play tag or any game that looked remotely like football, even touch football. I do know of schools where they cannot run.

Kids used to be proud of their scrapes and bruises-now some of their parents just whine about them and threaten the schools. When I have kids, I hope they have bumps and bruises sometimes-that shows me that they are active and getting exercise and not playing video games all day. Plus then they know the difference between an "owiee" and a real problem. Kids who never experience a little pain don't know the difference and bawl their heads off about every little scrape.

Sorry to sound harsh, because 95% of the parents are fine. But that 5% will drive you crazy and ruin recess for the rest of them. Pretty soon recess will be in padded room.

Sorry about the rant, I'll get off my soapbox now. It just upsets me that kids can no longer be kids.

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 17, 2006

Did you send a note home to the parent explaining what happened? Maybe she was upset she wasn't notified? I always notifiy my parents if there are any bumps, bruises, etc. and we have to officially document them to save our butts...

I also teach ECSE

5. tx ppcd

tx ppcd Rookie

Sep 17, 2006

Yes, I did. I sent home the nurse's pass which showed that she went to the nurse and I made a personal phone call and told her what happened and the school nurse called her as well.