Playdough???

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by classemom, Jul 31, 2007.

1. classemom

classemom Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I was thinking of having one of those tiny containers of playdough at each student's desk on the first day of school. I was thinking it would give them something to do while I am greeting students and parents....have any of you done this before? I think it sounds good...but don't want it to lead to a total disaster!

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2007

Yes, I did this last year and it was wonderful. It keeps the kids quiet and busy! Thanks for reminding me, I have to run up to the dollar store and pick some up for this year!!! Actually I left the containers on their desk for few days until we got a little bit of a routine down. Then I let them take them home.

4. classemom

classemom Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Thanks...I feel better now! I will give it a try! :)

5. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2007

The ones from the dollar store were the full size containers, not the tiny ones. I think they were in a pack of 4 (or maybe 3, I can't remember) and each pack cost $1.00. Not a bad deal!

6. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2007

I never thought of that! I usually make a packet of "work" (coloring sheets, connect the dots) that I know the kids can do alone for the first day. This way they think they are working!!

I have used play-dough to help kids with spelling. Have the kids roll out the dough and spell the words in it! They love it!

7. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

I do play doh every year and it has always worked great! This year I plan on having play doh, a dot-to-dot, and a reading basket. Just to make sure they are busy enough while I figure out milk and lunch money, etc. Last year I had an aide who came in and did all that for me!

8. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Aug 7, 2007

I just bought play doh from Target. It was the small containers, a pack of 50 for $6.99. I am going to put them in a little cup I bought from Hobby Lobby. Back to school cups 5 for $1. And, I'll probably put a pencil and eraser or sharpener.

9. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

i did it last year too and it worked great. it was like a little treat for the kids in the morning.
    i looked at the dollar store around me for play doh this year and couldn't find it. i need to go back...it was the big cups last year and i just halved it and put it in a plastic bag for the kids.

10. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

I was scared to do this too...I feel better about it now! :)

11. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2007

I let them play with it for a day or two, then they take it home.
    I have another set for spelling words. We roll the dough into words, or make a flat pancake and then use popsicle sticks to press the words into it.

12. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

I love the idea of back to school cups! Now I have to find some cups. Very cool idea!

13. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 7, 2007

I got modeling clay and put it in little tupperware bins and the kids kept it in their desks all year. It was a lifesaver a couple of times when I had not fast finisher job and I told kids to get out their clay for a minute till we were ready to move on. I loved it!

14. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

My daughter's class had a butter bowl with lid on their school supply list. She gave each one a bar of modeling clay to play with all year. They had to put an old piece of paper on their desk to play with it.

15. happyOCgirl

happyOCgirl Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

I do this, too, but at the end of the day. I make the playdough at home, divide into enough dough balls for each student (plus an extra). I use a wooden spoon to poke a hole in the dough, add two drops of food coloring (blue or green since it's the main colors in my room), cover up the hole and put it in a ziplock.
    At the end of the day, I make a big deal about our first day of first grade and they will never have another like it. I tell them I'm always curious about how our year will be and I have a special test to tell me if my students are going to have a good or bad year. I will give everyone a plain ball of playdough, when everyone has a ball, I tell them here is the test...When I tell them to start, each student will take out their ball and start to knead it (I have a plain ball with no color in it I demonstrate with), if it turns a color in our room - they will have a fantastic year in first grade, if it doesn't turn - we will have to really help you to do your best. The playdough only turns a color with first graders and that is why mine doesn't turn a color.
    It is so fun and they get SO excited when it turns! I let them play with it while I make sure I have everything ready for the end of the day and while I help small groups pack up.

16. classemom

classemom Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

That is AWESOME!! I am sure they just love you after that! :)

17. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

Do you have them do anything specific with the playdough? I'd love more details on how to manage this idea!

18. dianafish

dianafish Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

i love that idea on what kind of year you will have. I think I may try that with my preschoolers

19. Rivindei

Rivindei Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

Love this playdoh idea! I think I'll try this with the mini containers from Target, but allow students to keep them in their desks. This is a wonderful item to have for students who need to do something with their hands. Thanks for sharing all of your ideas :)

20. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Aug 9, 2007

I bought playdoh in small containers at the Dollar Tree 8 pack for a dollar. It is not playdoh brand though.

21. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2007

I just bought the 50 pack of the mini playdough containers for $6.99 at Target. In the past I have passed out the regular sized containers but I think these mini ones will work out better.

22. MsX

MsX Companion

Aug 9, 2007

i have a question about the homemade play-dough balls with food coloring - does it make the kids hands turn colors? I'd be worried the food coloring would get on clothes and/or hands. It sounds like an awesome idea though. I might just have to try it!

23. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Aug 9, 2007

I have cooked up play dough and the food coloring did not leave any stains at all on the children's hands.

You can add scents while you make the dough and the whole room will smell nice! Example - add orange food coloring and pumpkin pie spice for a great autumn play dough.

24. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2007

I always did play dough too...you could get cookie cutters and see who can make their name.

25. happyOCgirl

happyOCgirl Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

I've never had a problem with the food coloring getting on their hands or staining. Since I added the drop the night before, it really isn't a liquid inside...the middle of the ball has already absorbed it (so only add one drop or it will be too much).
    I also make three extra balls and color them red, blue, and yellow. We review these primary colors and talk about secondary colors while I read Mouse Paint. I then give each child a small part of the red, blue, and yellow playdough. I read Mouse Paint again and as the mice discover secondary colors, the children take a pinch of say red and blue, squish it together and make purple. It's a great activity for the Friday afternoon of the first week when they are exhausted!

26. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

happyOCgirl,

I absolutely LOVE your idea! I was wondering about how much playdough you use per one drop of food coloring? I thought I would defenitly try this before school starts myself to make sure everything will go smoothly. Have you ever had a batch that did not turn colors?

27. happyOCgirl

happyOCgirl Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

I make one batch of playdough. It is enough for 21 balls, plus the extra I use for color blending later on in the week. After I knead it, I put parchment paper around it and form it into a rectangle (about 2 inches high). I cut a third off for the color mixing and divide the rest into mini rectangles (well, I guess they are about 1" wide x 2" long x 2" high). I make the lines on the rectangle block like I was cutting a cake to make sure I get enough. I roll each rectangle into a ball and that is the size for one drop of food coloring. At the last recess, I do a quick check of them to make sure no spots have gone through. It rarely happens, but if it does, I just use a little of the one ball I have for myself that has no food coloring to cover it up.
    Let me know if you have any questions! It's a great first day activity!!!!!
    Carrie

28. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

Will you pleae share your play dough recipe??

I know there are a few recipes out there... can you share yours??? I think I want to try this.

29. autumnpumpkin

autumnpumpkin Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

I love the Autumn playdough idea, as this year I am doing a back to school bulletin board that says "Fall Into Mrs. C's Grade 1/2 Class" with students names written on leaves and falling off of a tree backdrop. I guess you can tell from my username that I love the fall time. It is my favorite season. So much so that my husband and I want to name our first daughter, Autumn and if we have a second girl we want to name her Holly. LOL. I am definitely a teacher with the holiday spirit, can't believe I actually talked my hubby into those names ;)!

30. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

I tried it on Thursday and the students absoluetly LOVED it! They were excited about taking it home and they had all sorts of questions. It made for a great class disscusion. Thank you for the great idea!

31. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

I used this recipe, but I ended up making a 2nd batch. I didn't feel like it made enough for the kids to each have a good sized piece.. Plus it really leaves a lot of salt residue on the counter, so I will really want them to use paper or something under it.

3 C flour
    1 and 1/2 c salt
    1 TBSP cream of tartar
    2 TBSP cooking oil
    3 cups water

heat over low / medium low heat, stirring until it pulls away from the sides and gets Reeeeeaaly hard to stir.

32. autumnpumpkin

autumnpumpkin Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

I used this one with my students last year and it really did last for 6 months in ziploc baggies.

Colored Playdough

1 cup water
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1/2 cup salt
    1 tablespoon cream of tartar
    Food coloring
    saucepan
    1 cup flour

Combine water, oil, salt, cream of tartar, and food coloring in a a saucepan and heat until warm. Remove from heat and add flour. Stir, then knead until smooth. The cream of tartar makes this dough last 6 months or longer, so resist the temptation to omit this ingredient if you don't have it on hand. Store this dough in a n airtight container or a ziploc freezer bag.

33. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

I LOVE this play-doh idea! I'm gonna buy some and use it when we start next week. And the idea for using it to practice spelling words is fabulous!

34. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 23, 2007

The play dough didn't work out that well for me. I made play dough with the magic color in it. the kids did like it, but it really made a mess. I realized while still at home that it as leaving quite a mess on the counter, so I gave each child a large piece of paper to use as a mat. Some of them had trouble with the dough sticking to the paper. If I'd had time to laminate some placemats, that might have helped. Some of the kids also somehow made it into tiny crumbles that were all over the place. They had fun with it, but I don't think I'd choose to do it again.

35. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2007

Pamms, sorry it didn't work that great for you! It looks like your recipe had less oil than the other recipe posted. Perhaps that makes the difference in the crumbliness.

36. happyOCgirl

happyOCgirl Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

This is the recipe I use for the "magic playdough".

2 cups Flour
    1 cup Salt
    2 T. Cream of Tartar
    2 T. Veg. Oil
    2 cups Water

Mix dry ingredients together. Add oil and water. Stir until smooth. Cook over medium heat until it thickens. Dump out and knead until smooth. Store in a ziplock.

:) Carrie

37. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Aug 29, 2007

You can microwave the playdough. Use a little less water, microwave on medium for 1 minute, stir and repeat. It should take about 5 minutes to do. I find that you don't need as much muscle doing it in the microwave.

38. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Aug 29, 2007

To add more scents to home made dough (and color, too) you can mix it with unsweetened packets of Kool-Aid. Smells Great!!!

39. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2007

I bought the 80 pack for $9.99 at Costco. I grabbed a box of overhead transparencies that another teacher was getting rid of (we all have doc. cameras) to use as a place mat. I had the kids clean up and pick up any little bit--but it WAS GREAT!!! I had enough time to get to each child individually and have them unpack their backpacks so I could put their supplies away!!!

I am SO doing that again!:D:D:D

40. hpy2b1st

hpy2b1st New Member

Sep 4, 2007

I did this today and it was wonderful!
    Thanks for the great idea!!

41. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Sep 4, 2007

I did it, too! We started last week and not only did I use it for the first day, but for the whole rest of the week, too, to keep things fun and relaxed. They loved it and they were asking for it today!