Playdoh / Goop recipe

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miss.H, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Miss.H

Miss.H Rookie

Jan 5, 2010

Hi,
    Would anyone be willing to share any easy to make goop or playdoh recipes?? I have pre-school for the first time and haven't had to make it before.

3. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

4. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jan 5, 2010

I make salt dough in class and then the kids make insect models out of it (these are hs kids). I bring in my electric frying pan and we just make it right in class and color it. I think it would work good for your kids. It doesn't have to get too hot, so it would cool pretty quickly, it is nontoxic, and they can color it any color they like (as long as you have food coloring). We made some in October and it is still moist in the bag.
    Simple Play dough
    What You Need:

* Three cups flour
    * 1 1/2cups salt
    * Six-teaspoons cream of tartar
    * Three cups cool water
    * Three Tbsp oil
    * Food coloring

What You Do:

* Fix mix dry ingredients together. Next mix liquid ingredients. Combine the two mixtures and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. In about five minutes the dough should begin to pull away from the sides of the pot. Once you can pinch the dough without it sticking to you remove from heat. Finally knead until it has the consistency of Play dough consistency.

I have seen it colored with Kool-Aid powder and food coloring. I would mix it in a little for them so that they don't dye their fingers green.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2010

My absolute favorite is liquid starch and Elmer's glue. Just mix it together in almost equal parts (a little more starch than glue) until it feels like it's a good consistency. The kids love it!!

6. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jan 5, 2010

I love making that too tracykaliski! We call it "glurch" :)

7. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jan 5, 2010

My favorite is the playdough made from kool aid and it smells so good.

Kool Aid PlayDough
    One cup of flour, 1/4 cup salt, two tablespoons cream of tartar, one package unsweetened Kool Aid, one tablespoon vegetable oil, and one cup water. Mix flour, salt, cream of tartar and Kool Aid in medium pot. Add water and oil. Stir over medium heat for three to five minutes. When the mixture forms a ball in the pot, remove. Knead until smooth. Put in a plastic bag and refrigerate.

8. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Jan 5, 2010

We have also made "goo". It's just corn starch with a little water added in. I emphasize "little water". You can always add more. I have added food coloring and glitter before to make "lava". Even if it dries out, you can add a bit more water. If you do decide to keep it, leave it uncovered. I covered it last year and went back in a couple of months and the mold was CRAZY! Eeew.

9. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jan 6, 2010

I love this cooked recipe for my basic, everyday play dough:
    2c water
    1/2c salt
    food coloring (I use paste for brighter colors)
    2c flour
    2tbs vegetable oil
    2tbs alum (sold with spices)

heat water, salt & coloring until salt is dissolved; remove from heat; while still hot add other ingredients (add flour slowly, mixing as you go); pour onto board, let cool until you can handle it, then knead for about 5 minutes. Very smooth, keeps well in a plastic bag.

10. Miss.H

Miss.H Rookie

Jan 9, 2010

Thanks everyone for your ideas..

I also found a microwave playdoh recipe if anyone is interested.

Microwave Playdough
    Ingredients
    1 cup of salt 2 cups of flour
    2 cups water 3 tbsps cream of tartar
    2 tbsps oil food colouring
    Method
    Mix all of the dry ingredients in a container, then add oil, water and the food colouring, stir until the mixture is smooth.
    Cook on high for 3 minutes. Kneed the dough for about a minute then return to the microwave and cook for a further 2 minutes. Knead the dough for about a minute

11. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2010

That microwave one sounds easy to make! Thanks!

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 11, 2010

My favorite recipe (comes from Discovery Toys)

1 cup flour
    1 cup water
    1 Tbs. Oil
    ½ cup salt
    1 Tsp. Cream of Tartar
    Food coloring (optional)

Cook over medium heat until mixture pulls away from sides of pan and becomes like playdough in consistency. Knead until cool. It keeps about 3 months if you keep it in a zipper bag or container so it doesn’t dry out.

*Adding food coloring to the water before mixing distributes the color better (and keeps it from getting all over your hands!!!).

I usually add something else special to batches just to make them unique... I added cinnamon to my latest batch, it smells AWESOME :)

13. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jan 11, 2010

I love to make goop with the kids-- or as I call it slime. It's the elmers glue and liquid starch, but you add a little bit (few table spoons) of water to it. It starts out looking like egg whites and gets stringy, but the more the kids work with it and play with it the dryer it becomes. After about 5 minutes of working with it, and squishing it like they would playdough, the water is almost gone. When it will stay together they take it out and keep working with it and it turns into silly putty!

14. tbzep

tbzep Rookie

Jan 11, 2010

When I taught science, I used PVA (poly vinyl alcohol) and borax. This is the best kind of slime in the world (IMHO). :thumb: It is a clear slime as compared to the glue version that's opaque. Since there's a bit of work involved, this version is more appropriate for middle/high school science than for elementary art purposes.

Both PVA and Borax are powders that have to be dissolved. I used a stirring hotplate to dissolve the PVA, however, I know a few folks that use an old crockpot and manually stir it. Heat to around 90C/200F and sprinkle in the powder. Borax can be dissolved in warm water easily.

40g PVA per liter H2O
    5g borax per 100ml H2O

IIRC, I used about 50ml of PVA solution and about 5ml of borax solution for the kids. Food coloring is optional.

PVA can be obtained in higher and lower molecular weights. Lower molecular weight PVA gives you slimier slime and higher molecular weight PVA slime is a little stiffer.

15. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2010

Remember that borax is toxic, though. And young children have a tendency to put this kind of stuff in their mouths.

16. tbzep

tbzep Rookie

Jan 12, 2010

Yes, that's right. I wouldn't eat the PVA either. :)

BTW, you can add zinc sulfide and you will get "glow in the dark" slime. :cool: