Play it safe or take a risk...Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by vacollins, May 9, 2014.

1. vacollins

vacollins Rookie

May 9, 2014

Hello new to the forums here. Need advice as to whether I should leave my current school and go to a new school. I am a special education teacher at a middle school. Currently, I have a long commute about 30 miles to work , mostly highway and no traffic. I just received an offer from another school (high school) about 6 miles from where I live. My top priority is completing my administration internship. The pay and benefits would be the same as the schools are both within the same county.

Also, I plan to only work in my county for another school year as I plan to move to another state. The only reason I didn't move this year is because I want to be vested in my pension plan (need 5 years to be vested and this is only my 4th year of teaching). Otherwise I would more than likely have moved on.

Stay at the same school:
    Pro's:
    Great work environment
    Great work/life balance (very important for special education teachers)
    Supportive teaching community
    Support from administration
    Well behaved students
    One content area to team teach

Cons:
    Longer commute
    More gas

New School:
    Pros:
    Much shorter commute
    Less money spent on gas

Cons:
    Change from middle to high
    Have to learn new school culture and structure
    Expectations will have to be learned
    Would only be there for a year before going to a another new school
    Working condition/environment unknown
    More than likely will have to team teach more than one content area
    May or may not receive support for completing administration internship

Your advice is greatly appreciated...I also posted in the secondary forum, but would like special education teacher feedback.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 9, 2014

Just going by your amount of pros and cons, you seem a lot happier where you are than at the prospect of moving to another school. If you and your car can take it one more year, then stay where you are.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 9, 2014

I agree...you seem like you want to stay. Especially since you will only be there one more year.

If you switch and the job doesn't work out very well, you would take a chance on getting a poor reference for a new job.

5. vacollins

vacollins Rookie

May 9, 2014

Yes I do LOVE my school and I hate to leave and start at a new school especially when I will be starting a new school again after next year. The 6 mile commute is nice though and I would save gas. That's why I'm so torn. I don't really look at the time issue though because I rarely have to take work home from my school now. More than likely that would not be the case at the new school simply because there's a real possibility of teaching multiple subjects and I don't really know the content.

Also...I wonder how it will look to take the position and then leave after just a year. The bad review thing would certainly hurt my chances of landing a new job when the time comes.

6. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 9, 2014

I am working through some similar thoughts as you are, and am also contemplating possibly leaving a position after just one year. I also am wondering how much leaving a job after one year impacts your resume. I think if you have really good reasons, such as a much shorter commute, you should be able to explain that in an interview. For me the biggest thing is the fear of the unknown. I think if you are really happy in your current position, and if your commute isn't all that bad, you might as well stick it out one more year.

What do others think about the question of whether leaving a job after one year (with good reason) looks bad?

7. vacollins

vacollins Rookie

May 9, 2014

No the commute isn't all that bad. It's mainly highway with no traffic so about 40 minutes.

I think only one year is not so bad from an HR perspective. The problem I think is if u keep switching schools year to year. Unless U have a compelling reason such as military wife. Also if u don't like the school there's the possibility of a bad reference so that makes sense too.

8. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 9, 2014

Traffic is what's killing me right now -- I also commute 35 miles each way and in the afternoons the traffic is awful. The school I'm looking at is considerably closer but might have traffic both ways which would be worse! I guess I shouldn't spend too much time thinking about it yet though since I don't even have an interview yet...

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 9, 2014

Stick it out where you are.

10. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

May 9, 2014

I would stay at your old school. you know what is expected and have everything established. it would be a lot more work to set up and learn the new school and the shorter commute and gas money would not be worth it to me.

Plus you don't know how much support you would get to pursue your adminstration internship at the new school

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 9, 2014

Stay put!

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 9, 2014

Stay.

13. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

May 9, 2014

Stay where you are. 30 minutes is not bad at all.

14. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

May 10, 2014

Stay! You have a good thing going. Just think if you go to the new school and HATE it. What if you get non-renewed at new school? And it's just one year left.

15. teach1

teach1 Companion

May 10, 2014

I would definitely stay.

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 10, 2014

Stay where you are. It sounds like you love your school and will only be there another year anyway. I get the commute thing - I drive an hour each way. I've been doing that for 5 years, going onto my 6th in the fall. But I love my school and I know the grass isn't always greener.

17. thesub

thesub Comrade

May 10, 2014

Stay at the old school - it sounds great!.
    Good luck.

18. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

May 10, 2014

I started a new job this school year.

My previous job I was at for 3 years and had a 150 miles daily roundtrip commute.

This year the commute has been wonderful while I love my new job the change has been a challenge. I am adjusting and it is going great but I would stay where you are at for one last year.

19. vacollins

vacollins Rookie

May 12, 2014

Thank you all for your insight. I have chosen to remain at my school for one more year. Everyone is great!!!

20. countrygirl85

countrygirl85 Rookie

May 12, 2014

STAY!!

Coming from someone who just went through something similar I would definitely stay. You already have friends, connections and you know the school culture which is very important. When you get to a new school it takes time to get the lay of the land. You'll also be teaching a new grade which means more lesson planning. If your car can make the trip, I would stay at the same school.

21. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jun 26, 2014

Stay unless you are thrilled by the unknown. I travel 30 minutes each way. The drive isn't bad. I decided to carpool with another teacher to make it easier. The time flies by when you have someone to talk to.