Plates, Cups, and Bowls....oh my!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by saralynn2006, Nov 4, 2011.

1. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Nov 4, 2011

Hi Everyone,
    I was wondering if any of you know a place where I can purchase children's plates, cups, and bowls at a reasonable price? I know the dollar store carries the little plates that have the dividers which would be nice, but what seems to work best at your preschool? I'm getting supplies to start an in home preschool and daycare. :)

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 4, 2011

I love the tupperware cups, but they aren't inexpensive. The come with lids that are replaceable, and the cup itself lasts for a long time. I write the children's name on the cups.

The plates are the Walmart picnic divided plates, they sit in a plate rack over the sink.

We use Correlle bowls and their really old coffee cups, the ones that odd shaped and don't look like coffee mugs are what we use for applesauce and yogurt.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 5, 2011

I bought my stuff from a restuarant supply house. I also bought air plane silver ware as it was junior sized. I will try to find the name of the place I bought the silverware, as it is a small company and hard to find.

Sometimes the supply houses will have used or small lots that they sell for less. Buying good quality means you don't have to replace them every year.

I am like WA, Correlle bowls are great.

I have also looked for dishes at second hand stores.

5. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Nov 5, 2011

Thats a great idea about the junior sized silverware! I'm going shopping today so maybe I will stop at Goodwill or Salvation Army to see if I can find any secondhand bowls, plates, and cups to buy. I'm on a limited budget right now so buying anything too expensive just won't work at least until I get everything up and running! :) Do you guys use glass dishes then? I think I have seen Corelle stuff at Target and if I remember right it was glass.

6. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Nov 5, 2011

I would be very careful feeding children off of anything made in China these days. Especially if you are running your own program and could be held accountable for the choices you make.

I can totally understand you don't want to spend a lot of money, but you also want to make sure what you purchase is safe.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 5, 2011

Say it with me.....second hand store for the corelle.........we have we don't have real glassware. We have it available in center work...but not to drop into the sink.

8. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Nov 6, 2011

I will keep my eye out for Corelle at the secondhand stores around here! :) Thanks for the tip!

I saw the kids cups yesterday at Toys R Us (the same ones that the daycare center I currently work at uses) and they were about a dollar or so a piece. The secondhand stores didn't have any child sized cups (just mugs and adult sized glasses) Have you had any luck finding kids cups at a secondhand store or is a dollar each probably the cheapest I will find them? I don't have kids of my own (I'm 23) so I don't know how much stuff like this usually costs.

9. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2011

Have you checked IKEA? They usually have nice kids stuff.

10. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Nov 6, 2011

I never thought about IKEA because I don't have one around me. I will check out IKEA's website and see what I can find though.

11. AleighJc

AleighJc Rookie

Nov 6, 2011

I would check dollar tree. I always see kid plates and cups there.

12. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 6, 2011

The dollar store scared me, during the plastic recall and the lead paint recall. I actually never thought about the Correlle stuff being leaded....I hope it isn't.

I find what we call the applesauce cups at the second hand stores often, less than a buck a piece. I get them when I see them. I appreciate when they are all the same size and shape exactly and can stack well. We don't have a ton of space. The Tupperware I get over the Kid Cups from Toys R Us because when someone chomps on the lid I can get a new lid and know it will fit. With the Kid Cups you are getting a similar cup, but you have to get a whole new set to get a replacement lid. Again, it is just for lack of mess in storage.

Kid plates from dollar store would probably work, just make them all the same.

13. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Nov 6, 2011

Hear is an idea for next year.......... find the summer picnic plates at the end of summer clearance. I'm sorry this doesn't help for now but you can get them really cheap and they last and are dishwashable.

14. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 6, 2011

Yes, that is exactly how I got my plates....enough for 4 plates for every child. 48 plates were about $4. This was post the China/lead and plastic chemical recall.

15. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Nov 6, 2011

Wow 48 plates for $4!!! What a steal! I will keep that in mind for next year. I wonder if there will be Christmas themed plates that I could get....it would be kind of weird to eat off a snowflake plate all year round but maybe I could get some "wintery" plates at the end of the season and then get "summery" plates next year and just rotate them halfway through the year :lol:

16. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Dec 5, 2011

IKEA has awesome plates, cups, etc. for kids.