Plastic totes for tables

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Miss Kirby, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 28, 2007

Okay teachers, I need some shopping help. I have five plastic totes for students to keep markers, crayons, scissors, and glue. I never thought I'd have more than five groups. But now I have these lovely little round tables, which I am so excited about. However, I can only get four kids per table, and because my class is a bit bigger this year, I need to have six tables. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find a tote. I have read lots of posts about people seeing them places in the past, but have any of you seen them anywhere recently?? I know they had them at Dollar Tree a few months ago, but that was when the principal told us we'd have super small classes... which isn't going to happen anymore... and I've checked two Dollar Trees and they don't have any now.

I've also checked Dollar General, Family Dollar, 2 Targets, Wal-Mart, and 2 Big Lots....

:help:

3. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

The Family Dollar (at least in CO) has not received any yet but are expected to get them within the next few weeks, according to one of the cashiers. I think the cashiers think I might be casing the place because I go in every other day or so and don't buy anything.

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2007

I just saw some in primary colors at Meijers, you may know it as Fred Meyer....also saw some at Walmart. I didn't find totes easily either so I just got little baskets like for easter (plastic) from teh doller tree.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 28, 2007

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 28, 2007

Hmmm maybe that's what I need to do. Go to the stores every day to see if they have anything new. Haha.

Thanks for the ideas so far.

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2007

Miss Kirby, I just bought like 3 extra ones at my Family Dollar store because I knew that when it gets close to school, they will be gone. I wish that I can let you have mine. I don't need them, I just bought a bunch of extras for those "just in case times". I would keep checking in like every week. Stores like those get shipments every week. Definately keep an eye on Dollar Tree, Dollar General & Family Dollar, those are the stores that will stock them close to "Back To School" time.:)

8. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 28, 2007

Target has some in the dollar section right now that are $2.50 and then they have some larger ones in the dorm section that are a bit pricier. The dorm ones are actually shower totes, so they're deep and have a little top part that can hold pencils, erasers, markers, etc. I bought my old colored ones at Hobby Lobby a few years back, I think they were supposed to be craft organizers.

9. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2007

The ones just like you described are currently at Walgreens they are a recent stock item and you should be able to find them.

10. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 28, 2007

Sweet, I'll go Walgreens tomorrow!

I went to two Dollar Trees and Target tonight. At Target I found totes for $2 in the dorm section. They are nice, but they don't have sections in them. I bought one for a back up. I'd still like to find a matching set with compartments in them!!

11. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 29, 2007

12. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jul 29, 2007

Miss Kirby, I can't help but I can tell you I'm looking for the same exact thing! I'm getting 2 classes this year instead of 1 and so I need 3 more of the little caddies. Between me and all of my colleagues I think we have checked every Dollar Tree on Long Island. I'm just praying that they come back into stock- I know Dollar Tree does that, things are out for months and then come back. Let us know if you find them please! I'd like ones that are identical to my old Dollar Tree ones.

13. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 29, 2007

I'd like identical ones too, otherwise I will have to buy a new set. Which isn't a bad idea to have two, because after years of use they'll eventually wear out and break. I'll let you know if I find them. Like you, I've been to four dollar trees! There are a couple more around here, but they are kinda far.

14. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 29, 2007

I went to Walgreens, Wal Mart, several Dollar Trees and Family Dollars, 99 cent store, and another random dollar store. 10 places total and did not find any plastic totes!!!!!!!!!!!! What next? :dunno:

15. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2007

16. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 29, 2007

My target had some in the dollar spot for 2.50. I saw them there today.

You might also want to look in the dorm section of stores. Those shower totes are very similar.

Good luck!!

17. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 29, 2007

I saw them at Target. Some for $2.50 which were kinda big, and some that were nicer for $2. But they didn't have any compartments in them. I bought one as a back up, for the extra table I'll have. It won't match, but oh well...

18. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2007

I saw something similar at K-mart ($1.50?) in some interesting colors like purple and green. Check it out!

19. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 30, 2007

I found them at my Big Lots

20. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 30, 2007

You can always spray paint them with that special Krylon (sp?) paint made for plastic. My friend did that, she could only find totes in one color, they were sold out of all the other colors so she bought them and spray painted them so she could have 4 different colors. I found mine at Family Dollar a few years ago, keep trying :)
    Good luck!

21. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 30, 2007

Did they have compartments in them?? Green would totally match my room. It's mostly green, blue, and yellow. Haha.

22. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2007

Sorry, but it's been over a week ago and I've been doing a LOT of shopping so I'm not positive. I believe there were only 2 sides with a handle down the middle. I was thinking of using them for lab table supplies so I didn't need compartments.

23. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 31, 2007

Okay I saw some at KMart. They were light blue, they had holes in them (my current ones do too), and they were longer than mine with two sides and a handle. So that was probably what you were talking about. A coworker is going to let me borrow an extra one of hers, then whenever I do find them eventually, probably when I'm not looking, then I'll get a new matching set. :)

Thanks guys!

24. MsTeacher

MsTeacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I almost bought the ones at Target's Dollar Spot for $2.50 until a friend pointed out that there were no compartments!! I was so excited about finding some that I hadn't noticed! :lol:
    I sadly put them back. If I used those, there would just be a big mess inside each one!!