Plastic Crate Seats

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by shoreline02, Dec 22, 2015.

1. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Dec 22, 2015

Has anyone made or used these plastic crates as seats: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/262616221996404211/

To me they seem like they would be too short. I am just wondering if people had to lower their tables for it to fit the students correctly. I teach 4th grade.

3. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Dec 23, 2015

I made two of them, but I don't use them at desks or tables. They are extra seating in my classroom library. I teach first graders and they love them. They weren't too tough to make, although I am NOT a perfectionist and I'm sure they could be nicer.

4. msaly

msaly Comrade

Dec 25, 2015

I made them at the beginning of the year, surprisingly it was super easy. I would imagine you would need to lower your tables if you are using them at regular school tables. I have 4 in my art center, but the table is a smaller wooden table.

5. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Dec 26, 2015

I made those! They were great for my 1st graders, although I had to turn the crates upside down and tie the cushions on top so that they could withstand the abuse. Setting the cushions (with wood underneath) inside the "lip" of the crate was a disaster. lol

They were too short for my 3rd graders, although I almost put them in a row like a bench next to our bookshelf. You could try lowering a table, but kids at 3rd and 4th grade start growing like weeds, so it might be uncomfortable for them to be so low to the ground.

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Dec 29, 2015

I worked summer camp for 5 years. We used milk crates for chairs all the time (and they were true milk crates without newfangled cushions and we had to walk through the snow uphill both ways to collect thrm, etc.)

In short, I think they'd be fine for kids as long as they aren't sitting in one spot straight forever.

I want to make them.