Plants unit

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by laf-a-lot, Oct 1, 2007.

1. laf-a-lot

laf-a-lot Rookie

Oct 1, 2007

Does anyone have any good activities or experiments for plants? I will be starting one soon and i am planning on doing a grow lab with marigolds that they can give their parents for a thanksgiving gift and we will be looking at lima beans and disecting them. Can any one think of any other good ones?

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 1, 2007

You can put carnation in colored water and watch the dye travel up the stem to demonstrate how a stem carries water to the rest of the plant (and that the root absorbs it and carries it to the stem).

You can also do some kind of experiment with some kind of gel and ziplock baggies and the plant will actually grow. Also, I saw something somewhere about growing plants in a hospital glove. Not sure what the procedure was.

4. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Oct 7, 2007

This unit is for 2nd graders, but it may help you some. Go to www.amysclassroom.com and look under "teachers." You'll find a link for a plant unit--there is still more that needs to be added, but you can see a 2 week overview which has some ideas. Hope it helps!

5. laf-a-lot

laf-a-lot Rookie

Oct 8, 2007

That's great! :) thanks!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 8, 2007

My kids planted beans in baggies with wet cotton balls. I hung them on the window. They made observation journals and will record every 2 days or so. One kid was so excited that his bean 'hatched'. Very cute.

I made navy bean soup this weekend and brought in a crock pot full for the class. They loved it and wanted to know if the beans were going to grow inside them.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 8, 2007

Funny Daisy!

Once my son swallowed a penny and was super concerned when he found out it wasn't coming out the end it went down. How the heck does that happen? He literally cried himself to sleep. We had to put a new penny beside his pillow and exclaim, "You were right! It came back out of your mouth while you slept!"

A bean in a tummy...hehehe...I wonder if that's how babies are made. :p

8. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Oct 14, 2007

One year I had a arboretum come to my class and do outreach lessons on plants and she brought in actual dead bees on a stick and silk flowers and had the kids rub the dead bees on the stamens of the silk flowers to teach them pollination. The kids loved it. I still have the bees but it is gross to get them out, they are all smashed and dried up, ugh! But I thought of doing it with black and yellow pom poms and black pipe cleaners made into a bee. Kids would still get the gist wouldn't they? Another thing she did that I had copied, she gave each child 1 piece of colored paper, gray for roots w/ a seed, green for leaves and stems, pink or orange or red for flowers or fruits, and brown for dirt. Then all kids made their corresponding thing and cut them out. Then she pulled across a big piece of butcher paper in blue. She called out "I need a root!" and one kid came up and glued down their root. then "Now I need some dirt!" and same thing, a kid glued it above the root. "Now we need a stem with a leaf, last she called for a fruit or flower. We did this till we had a beautiful mural of flowers and all the parts were eventually labeled with black marker several times. She had the same thing with laminated magnetic parts of the plants and labels for me to keep. It was a very cool lesson.

9. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Oct 14, 2007

Oh I saw this done with that clear jelly. It has chemicals in it like hydroponics. Anyway I thought of something else I saw that was cool, kind of like your glove idea. This teacher used 3 plastic straws cut in half per kid. Then she linked 2 paper clips together and pushed one end into each angle of the 6 straws making a triangle tetrahedron. Then she put a little clear cup inside with a seed and dirt and put whole thing in a baggie. It grew like a small terrarium. A tetrahedron looks kind of like a pyramid only it has a triangle on the bottom and all sides. It was very cool. The 2 paper clips at each angle match up the 2 angles so they are attached. Try it! It looks very cool. Kids kept them on their desks.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 16, 2007

Okay, our beans have sprouted, some have green stems 6 inches long. What do you do with them after that?

11. laf-a-lot

laf-a-lot Rookie

Oct 16, 2007

That's a good question... I'm in the same boat. Now what?

12. Victoriateacher

Victoriateacher Rookie

Oct 16, 2007

How long did your beans take to sprout? I plan to start mine with the kids tomorrow morning and just curious how long it takes?

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 17, 2007

Just a few days for us. I think we're going to plant ours in pots today. We are also growing snow peas. They are about 2 inches tall.