Planting Seeds

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by mcjklj, Feb 7, 2009.

1. mcjklj

mcjklj Rookie

Feb 7, 2009

Hi,
    I was wondering if you have your students plant any seeds or beans? If so, what type do you plant? How long do they take to 'sprout'? Do you plant them in individual cups? Etc...

We have Open House coming up in March and I want the kids to plant something that will have started to grow by then (and that the parents can take home that night.)

Thanks!!! :)

3. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Feb 7, 2009

Grass grows VERY fast. I have them bring in an old shoe, put soil in it, grass seed and water it every day. They 'mow' by clipping with scissors when it gets too tall.

Also, I have a class garden. It has some veggies which we planted as sprouts, but also peas and radishes from seeds. They grew VERY fast, I mean like in 2 weeks!

Good luck!

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 7, 2009

I do know that if you plant marigolds the first week back from Spring Break, they will have buds on them by Mother's Day.

5. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Feb 9, 2009

We plant raw peanuts (out of the shell). They sprout quickly and make a very nice green plant. I buy coffee mugs at garage sales all year and plant them in those for Mother's day gifts. Every year I have children tell me they planted their plants in a garden and actually grew more peanuts.

6. cocacola

cocacola Rookie

Feb 9, 2009

grass does sprout extremely quickly. I just have them decorate acup with a face and we plant grass seeds in to grow as hair. They take cup home to give it a hair cut. Lima beans works decently as well. If you put a lima bean in a plastic bag along with a paper towel and tape to a window, they seem to sprout in 3-5 days.

7. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Feb 9, 2009

Lima beans work great! I just finished that project with my class. Give them several beans to place in their baggie and use the paper towel folded and stapled to the ziploc with half and inch of water in the bag. Have the students place the beans at the top or middle of the paper towel. You don't want the beans in the bottom of the bag with all the water. They will rot. They grew extremely well. I was worried because it was so cold the week we did it...-10 or so and I thought they'd freeze in the window but they grew great!:) Have fun!

8. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2009

9. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Feb 10, 2009

Sunflowers begin to grow quickly and there are some really cute books/activities to go along. You have to send them home before the stem gets too tall because it will break easily. I have a picture a child brought me of her sunflower that she took home and planted-it was taller than her.

10. jb4511

jb4511 Guest

Feb 10, 2009

my daughter is in kindergarten and her teacher planted a bean plant and it grows really fast you might want to try that.