Plant/Seeds Theme

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by cml88, May 6, 2012.

1. cml88

cml88 Companion

May 6, 2012

Hi guys! Next week I'm doing a plant/gardens theme in my classroom. I need some ideas of fun activities you have done for this theme. Unfortunately, I don't plan to focus too much on seeds b/c of how expensive they are. Originally I thought it would be fun to sort different kinds of flower seeds and possibly even do some planting. However, I couldn't believe the price of those little seed packets. And I've already put so much of my own money into my classroom this month and I can't possibly spend anymore. Any ideas??

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 6, 2012

Dollar stores often have seed packets. You can also sprout beans from those dry bean soup mixes also dry Lima beans....the kids can sort one of those bean mix bags, choose which ones to plant, keep records of what kind sprouts first...

4. melnm

melnm Companion

May 6, 2012

Both of my classes planted seeds. I spent my own money on it. I had plastic cups and got potting soil and seeds at the dollar store. The seed packets were three for $1. I went back and bought some more for sorting. In all it didn't end up being too expensive.

5. tgtbtj

tgtbtj Companion

May 8, 2012

Hi I just did this theme with my kids a couple of weeks ago.i read them a whole bunch of books about how plants and flowers grow. Then we did a little sequence book that they really enjoyed. I had originally bought some seeds for the kids and planted them in plastic two liter bottles that I had cut in half but nothing grew :(. I then bought small pots from the dollar tree website and asked each parent to bring in 3 dollars to cover the cost. I also asked them to bring in a seed packet of their choice but preferably seeds that sprout quickly. I about a week almost all pots had sprouts and the kids could not have been more excited!

6. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

May 9, 2012

We just planted sunflower seeds in clear plastic cups. I was able to get seeds at ACO hardware for .29. I have 32 students and 3 packets were enough. I tell the kids that they are planting a "Kindergarten Flower" because they will have a flower just before they begin kindergarten. We also have a flower shop set up in the house area. I have a lot of fake flowers that I have collected over the years. I also have plastic flower pots and floral Styrofoam so the kids can make flower arrangements. The kids can also "plant" flowers in the sand table.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 10, 2012

ED, we used berry crates and that plastic craft with little squares to arange flowers.

8. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 10, 2012

Look inside a peanut (split it) there's an dentifiable embryonic plant in there. As a kid, I was amazed. Ditto for other dicotyledonous seeds like beans, though harder to split.