Plans for Spring Break?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Lainie, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Mar 20, 2006

I was hoping it the weather would hold up and I could play outside and hang out with my family. But it's sleeting and snowy, so I guess I'm cleaning my apartment. Not my idea of a nice vacation.

What are you guys doing?

3. star9305

star9305 Rookie

Mar 20, 2006

This is the first year that I am really excited about spring break. Usually I just stay at home and clean and get my plans ready for the last few weeks of school but this year I actually have plans. My husband and I got married in September (the beginning of the school year) so we took off just 2 days for the wedding, and had no honeymoon. So I am taking off a few days before spring break begins and we are going on our honeymoon. I can't wait and the nice thing is that we will come back with a few days of spring break left for me to get everything ready for the next week.

4. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2006

A honeymoon! How exciting star!

I'm flying back down to NM to spend the week with my bf. I'm so excited to see him again; the only downside is that his spring break is this week, and mine is next, so he'll be in class while I'm there. Oh well, I haven't seen him since January, so I'll take anything I can get!

5. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2006

Mine is over :( I just slept in and we planted some flowers and went shopping. Nothing too great but it was nice to be off. The weather was pretty good...I think it was in the 70s but I wish it were warmer.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 20, 2006

I'm a sub & grad student. Today is the first day of my week off, but I got a call this morning from the cooperative teacher I just finished working with this last quarter for my student teaching. She wants me to sub for her the next 3 days. So much for my week vacation!! I'm definitely not going to work my 2nd job this week, I need to relax too.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 20, 2006

I took my car in for an oil change, then went to see The Shaggy Dog with my sister and nephews. We plan a nice lunch out one day this week and possibly a trip to Lion Country Safari. I have a doctor appointment and an accountant appointment tomorrow, though. Can't wait to get them over with.

8. AuburnTeach

AuburnTeach Companion

Mar 21, 2006

The Shaggy Dog looks like fun, Upsadaisy. I took my nieces to Nanny McPhee a few weeks ago, and now we're reading the Nurse Mathilda books.

Anyway, on to spring break (April 10 yipeeee :D).

Reading (not professional reading, fun reading), going to the Jelly Belly Warehouse with my nieces, learning how to do Sodoku puzzles, and not getting up at 5 am :).

9. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Mar 21, 2006

Mine doesn't start until the 10th of April. Here's my dilemma...It is the first Easter in 4 years I've been able to go to my parents (300 miles away) because it falls at the end of Spring Break. A cute guy asked me to his party on the 15th (he's an accountant--tax day) near my house. Hmmmm...I am supposed to help with Sunday School on Easter (at my church) but I could get a sub. Should I be with the fam or stay home for the party and Sunday School? My parents don't know. I was just home for a weekend last month. They think I'm not coming until summer. If I went for Easter I'd either have to leave the Easter celebrating really early or drive home late (yucky). Did I mention he's friendly, tall and has a very nice smile and there should be lots of other fun guys and gals there? Ha ha.

10. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2006

Just my opinion...........family definitely comes first. The years you spend with your parents are numbered. Enjoy those times while you still can! :)

11. NCP

NCP Comrade

Mar 21, 2006

I have a week and a half until spring break. Then I get to spend at least the first day at a job fair. Yahoo! Hopefully after that it won't all be spent working on applications and a portfolio.

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 21, 2006

IF I make it through the next week and a half, I plan to sleep, eat, read, hang out with friends and take my younger daughter on a college visit or two. CAN'T WAIT!!

13. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Mar 21, 2006

Hey, that's not the kind of help I wanted!:D :thanks:

I do chose my family at nearly every turn mainly because I don't have other things going on. I go home at least 5 times a year. It's hard for me to choose them because I lived near family for the first 25 years of my life and have only been away for 4 years. Before I moved I went to EVERY birthday (including cousins and cousins kids etc) and holiday at grandmas. I love them and I do enjoy the time with them (and do miss it) but it was really hard because it was just expected of you. It got so overwhelming that I resented it and have not really recovered yet. I know I'm rationalizing. These same people tried to make me feel guilty for moving away (they've lived there their entire lives). I really needed my own life and my own identity and I'm really just now forming it.

I know that's more than you wanted to hear.:cool:

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 22, 2006

LOL Go with your instincts. You're right, you need your own life. That's what being an adult means.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 22, 2006

;) I have a feeling the cute, tall smiley man is going to win this time!

16. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Mar 23, 2006

He should win. How can you have any fun if you're tied to the family all the time? Besides, I bet if you told them, they'd totally understand.

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 23, 2006

Yeah, how would they have had all those kids if they didn't find their own tall, smiley men?

18. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2006

I was merely giving an opinion on what I'd do............isn't that what she wanted, an opinion? To me, the family I know and love comes first before a stranger. We don't all have to agree, after all!;)

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2006

The BEST scenario would be to take the cute, tall , smiley man along to your parents!:p :D

20. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Mar 23, 2006

Umm...I don't know him that well. I just met him at a dance and then he invited me (and about 100 others) to his party. We do attend the same Bible study but it's got over 300 people in it. We're not beating down what you said Kinder. I don't know that I was looking for a real answer or opinions rather just popping in to whine a little. I do that A LOT!:D

21. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2006

I understand completely, Viola! Maybe by Easter, you will have gotten to know him a little better!!!! :) Good luck with the smiley, tall, cutie......it sounds like you have some very important things in common already!!! Keep us posted!

22. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Mar 23, 2006

Yeah it's hard to find those really important things in common and it's is SO VERY nice when I can! I don't actually know if he's interested in me or if he is just a really nice guy. Even if he's not interested I know he has friends.;)

23. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2006

Maybe he is BOTH!!!!!!!! Oh, yes, and I bet they are tall, cute, and smiley as well! teehee!

24. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2006

It is officially my spring break! I'm back "home" (or at least where home will be starting in May. Unfortunately, my luggage didn't make it here yet. So I have no clothes. Arrrggg!!! Now I'm cranky :(

25. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Mar 28, 2006

Uh! I'm sorry. I just watched a video clip on MSN. The nation's airlines lose 10,000 pieces of luggage each day!!! 200,000 pieces of it are not reunited with the owners each year!!! After trying to identify the luggage's owner (probably just holding onto it for 90 days) many airlines sell the luggage (sight unseen) to a company called Unclaimed Baggage Center which is like a department store/thrift shop in Scottsboro, Alabama. Apparently they end up with a lot of men's wedding rings. Hmmm....
    Anyway the point of the story is put your name and info inside and outside your luggage!!! I hope you have it by now Nanny!

So about Tall, Smiley, Friendly Guy...I didn't get to talk to him at Bible study last night but I saw him. He does seem extremely friendly. I saw him hug at least 2 girls ha ha. I didn't have a chance to talk to him myself though. I did get another Evite (though I am 1 in 139 invited!) from him this past weekend. It's to Cars the newest Pixar movie for June 9.

26. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2006

I did get my luggage on Saturday...

Viola, he invited 139 people to a movie? That seems strange...

27. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Mar 29, 2006

For all you guys that get a real spring break, take a deep breath for me, I sure could use a day away from my kids.:eek: :thanks:

28. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Mar 29, 2006

Well actually he's having a little get together before the movie. Pixar trivia and pizza and stuff. Afterwards we're hanging out to socialize. In this Bible study I'm in we just have a huge Evite list. Basically any time anyone wants to do something fun they just use the list. That way we get to "mix it up". It's a singles' study. I think we are all trying to have social lives and get married:D

29. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2006

Oh, ok, I get it now...

30. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Mar 29, 2006

Do you HS only your kids or do you teach other kids too? Regardless I think you should get a break (even if the kids don't :D ). If it's just your kids farm them out to friends or relatives for a day each. Can you say plane ticket to Hawaii for one? jk

31. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Mar 30, 2006

Thanks Viola, I'll be booking a ticket to seattle, do want a boy or a girl?

32. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Mar 30, 2006

or just me......... we could go shopping

33. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Mar 30, 2006

Well hmmmm...How 'bout we go shopping!

34. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Apr 1, 2006

Spring Break started yesterday at 3! I am looking forward to my week off. I am treating myself to a facial, pedicure and some new clothes. It has been a rough month for me and just need to relax.

35. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2006

still two more weeks!!!!!!!!!!! I am going nuts and so are the kids!!!!!!!! And this next week is our testing week. Give me strength!!

36. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 1, 2006

I am treating myself to a facial and pedicure too! I am going for new shoes instead of new clothes though -- gotta lose some weight:rolleyes:

I am also planning on starting my exercise routine along with reading a book for my book club. I also have go through about 6 piles of papers/books on my table of things that I photocopied or collected to use with my students but haven't touched. I have to do my taxes (for the US and Canada), start 2 IEPs and do my Spring cleaning.... Oh, man! I better start get started enjoying:eek: my Spring Break. I think I need an extra week off:D

37. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Apr 1, 2006

I am also trying to lose some weight...just eight pounds though I started really exercising 2 weeks ago. I think I am going to buy shoes too...need some sandals now that the warm weather is closer! Also have a book I want to finish and 1 I want to start. I agree I will need another week off too.:)

38. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 1, 2006

It's here! It's here! Enjoy everyone! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, kinderkids, that you make it two more weeks.

39. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2006

ahhhhhhhh..............I'm so jealous of all of you! Thanks Missy! I'm keeping them crossed too!!!!!!!!!:eek: :p

40. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2006

Spring Break? Are you kidding? I never get a a spring break...and I work all through the summer. Oh well, it's not so bad...really, it's not.

41. cristyann_05

cristyann_05 Rookie

Apr 2, 2006

For my spring break, i have caught up on laundry, cleaning, lots of yard work.. and had a little time to be lazy! ... Taking 2 days off next week and surprising my neice and going home for her 9th birthday party ( she thinks i will be back in school and working) So.. nothing to exciting ..