Planning Your Field Trips Yet?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherShelly, Aug 11, 2010.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 11, 2010

I am starting to plan field trips for the coming year, how about you others?

So far:

- September, Overnight camping trip ($20 per family)
    - October, Art Center exhibit & project: Photography ($66/class)
    - Nov 2, Native Peoples and the Landscape hiking trip ($60/class)
    - April, Art Center exhibit & project: Patrick Dougherty gigantic outdoor sculptures ($66/class)

I'll add more as I go...

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2010

Well, being that we get ONE a year.... we have pretty much decided on Moody Gardens - basically a rainforest trail (in a huge greenhouse) and an animal presentation.

Last year we went on a safari... I loved it, but other teachers didn't appreciate the lack of structure from the venue.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 11, 2010

One per year. I'm sorry. I am always aware that I'm blessed with more opportunities to enrich my students than average, but this reminds me to be even more humble.

I looked up Moody Gardens, it looks neat!

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2010

I just saw overnight camping. whoa! sounds fun, adventurous and chaotic all at the same time!

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 11, 2010

Haha, it is! The kids plan the whole thing, and the parents shop and organize the tents and so on. It is incredible for community building, and coincides with our Sun/Moon/Stars unit perfectly. :)

7. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2010

We generally go on one field trip a year to the Illinois Holocaust Museum during our study of Night. Every other year we take a trip to Cantigny (a war museum and gardens).

8. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 11, 2010

Yup! We have two already reserved, and we are planning three more. There are a lot of free or cheap things around here, especially if the school is Title I. Mount Vernon even gives Title I schools a $50 bus grant if they come during Colonial Days. We asked for 4 trips last year, and they were all approved, and we might be pushing the envelope asking for 5 this year, but we're going to try! I know our principal will support it, because she's big on getting our kids out of their neighborhood and broadening their experiences. It's the county we need to approve so many trips. (Please, county, please!)

Mount Vernon (Nov.) -- $3 for the kids
    National Archives (Dec.) -- free for kids
    Manassas Battlefield (Mar.) -- free for kids (unless school runs out of field trip money by then, then it's $1 for the bus)
    Gunston Hall (??) -- $5 for kids
    Jamestown (May) -- $7 for kids, if school has money

That last trip is totally dependent on our school budget because it requires a charter bus, so we won't know about that one for a couple of months. One year we got a grant to help fund it. Last year our school was kind enough to cough up the bus money. We figure that $15 for 5 field trips is manageable for most of our parents, even though we are Title I. If they do have problems with this, we always work out a solution.

9. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Aug 11, 2010

Field trip????? What's a field trip?

Seriously, though, all field trips were canceled for this coming up school year. So sad! Many kids don't even get the chance to leave the city.

10. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 11, 2010

I have two booked -- a Native Californian village for crafts in September and a rancho trip for March.

I'm glad you got me thinking about trips...I need to fill out the information forms and get DH to start calling.

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 11, 2010

St. Augustine will be this next May, which costs $30/student with the fundraisers. I just haven't started planning yet. I also know the environmental center is in the fall and is of no cost to the kids. I have also found a few NEW awesome science field trips, but I'll have to talk to my field trip buddy about it. :woot: So we'll see. Last year, I went on about 8 field trips, so something awesome and innovative will happen this year.

12. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

:eek: :eek: :eek:

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2010

We only have one per year also, and it has to be paid for by the kids. We're thinking of trying to add in some walking trips on base this year though. We've went to a different place each of my three years so far, but I think we will go to the Sand Dunes again this year.

14. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Aug 11, 2010

Our field trips were canceled for the year as well, but THANKFULLY our PTA has stepped in to provide one for each grade level. I have no idea what we'll be doing though since I'm in a new grade level and want to check in w/ my teammate about ideas.

15. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2010

We are trying to get approved for a 2nd one. A small field trip to the 1-room school house in our town. Goes along great with our SS standards of learning about schools long ago.

16. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Aug 12, 2010

We take two trips, one to Hemlock, an outdoor experiential education facility with zipwire and team building exercises, in early November. And, then we go on a Science trip to learn about water, kind of a creek walk and science lab rolled into one, in April.

17. deb4kids

deb4kids Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

Field trips -
    Sept - hike into park in the hills and take a class about state & symbols - no cost to kids (no bus & paying for $140 class out of acct)
    Nov - tech museum (cost for bus only)

I also book presentations & guest speakers into classroom. There are many free ones out there!
    Sept - red cross (safety)
    Oct - watersheds
    Dec - art museum

I will work on the second half when I get back to school.

18. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 12, 2010

Nice. Field trips.

When I was in K-12.... we went on... 6 field trips in all twelve years.

K-3 - walked to a local farm and picked pumpkins (Paid for by the PTA, now for K-3, the PTA buys pumpkins and brings them to the school)
    In first grade went to a nearby school.
    4th - Went to Yankee Stadium

No fieldtrips after those. Unless you were in a club like band, or a class in HS like physics (And only students who did well on a standardized test in fifth grade could take physics in HS)

19. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2010

We get one in-county and one out-of-county field trip. Since I'm in a very rural county, our options for that one are very limited... Last year we went to a really great hands-on science museum in the spring; we'll probably do that again this year, but I'm trying to find something else to pair it with.

20. heymrsp

heymrsp Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

Field trips that require a bus are pretty few and far between in the upper elementary levels at my school. The bus costs $175 per bus and we need two, just to go downtown. We usually can't ask the students for more that $3 each due to the SES of our families, and kids who can't pay we try to cover out of our own pocket. The PTO will pick up the difference, so we limit those trips to once a year or look for the ones that have bus grants with them - our City Symphony Orchestra and City Stage do those about once a year. We do, however, have a huge amount of walking field trips that we do in 5h grade. These are great because they are free, local and get the kids familiar with traveling in our city on foot, how to behave in public(so many of our children don't go anywhere when they get home - school and house, that's it!), and ultimately they are well liked by the kids. We go to the local park twice a year - it serves as a community builder and also as a way to introduce and culminate our yearlong studies on the creek that runs behind our school(has a huge history and there is quite a lot we do with it, cross curriculum). We go to the middle school to transition them, as it's where they will attend 6th grade. We go to the local public library - they all get library cards and take out books, learn about all of the opportunities the library offers. We go to the local grocery store for a tour behind the scenes, to see how fresh foods are produced, and we go to the local ice cream shop to see how the ice cream is made - that's our last week of school trip - more fun that anything else.

We are quite lucky in that we have a lot of field trips brought TO us - the City Stage is coming to put on a big production for the whole school in October this year, we work with a local University to have opportunities brought in for enrichment, and the 5th graders last year got to travel not only to a local community Puppet Theater where they participated in a variety of puppet making and playwriting workshops, but the company came to our school 3 times to put on different shows and talk to the kids about the behind the scenes actions, and also came weekly to do playwriting workshops with the students, which culminated in three students plays being produced and all done up! It was quite fun.

So even though we don't go very far, we are still able to provide some nice pportunities for the kids, without a lot of cost.

21. jd019

jd019 Companion

Aug 13, 2010

Last year I was in a low ses school and we had to pay for any trip plus the bus, gas, and driver. We got a lot of discounts when I asked about scholarships for title one schools and applied for some grants too! Good luck on getting more trips approved!

22. meeko32198

meeko32198 Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

I actually love the field trips brought to you idea. I have 3 of them planned myself this year:

- Flandrau Planetarium
    - Sonoran Desert Museum
    - International Wildlife Museum

If you ask at local zoos and museums a lot of times they have the materials they can bring out to you, or that you can check out and take with you. My school is on a Native American reservation and about an hour from everything so this is our best option.

23. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 13, 2010

Last year we were told we were not allowed to go on field trips. Hopefully this changes this year.

24. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Aug 13, 2010

I'm pretty sure field trip money will be nonexistent this year because of budget cuts. We are not even going to be getting most of the supplies we ordered. Kind of a shame since for many of these kids it is the only time they get to visit a museum or zoo.

25. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Aug 13, 2010

We get two... but one is always decided (and has been for over 50 years...)

We go on one in the early spring (Id love to have a fall one this year!) and we're hoping to go to the Baltimore Aquarium again.

Then... in early June after the SOLs (I love VA's acronym for state tests... its so appropriate!) we go on a camping trip to a local state park. Yes, parents of these students went, and probobly their parents. It used to be a week... (like a gazillion years ago) then when I started it was 3 days 2 nights. Then the tornado hit the campsite and we had to do it at school (no sleep over) and we got it down to one night and two full days. Its nice. We actually have more teaching time!

We have the kids 3 to a cabin with 1 adult. Its nice, but stressful to plan and you cannot function the day after. This past year we had to do it on a Tues Wed, not a Thurs Fri like usual (due to someone not doing their job... again, dont get me started) so we were all "sick" on Thurs!! (our principal was fine with this sickness)

26. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 13, 2010

AKitchin SOLs, love it!

27. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Aug 13, 2010

Seriously... any time I tell someone not from VA they laugh! But it is so true and how I feel when they are going on!

28. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 13, 2010

Haha:

Teacher says, "Class, it's time for our yearly exams. Take out your Up The Creek Without A Paddle booklets. Do NOT open them yet..."

29. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 13, 2010

Due to budget cuts, our field trips are gone.