Planning, what do you use?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by maestraraven96, Jul 21, 2018.

1. maestraraven96

maestraraven96 Rookie

Jul 21, 2018

What do you guys use for daily/ weekly planning? A physical planner, something online?
    I will have 3-4 preps and thinking of what I could use, right now I am using Google Docs.
    What do you use??

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 21, 2018

The pacing guide and daily targets are in Google Calendar. The rest is in Word documents uploaded to Google Drive and shared through district. I use a Happy Planner teacher planner for my daily notes.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 21, 2018

I use planbook.com. It's $12 per year. I believe you can try it out for 30 days before you pay. I just like the way it's set up, and there's an also an app that I use with my school i pad. I used to use a paper planbook and there was never enough room, and I hated how messy it looked when I needed to make changes. I tried to make my own thing on google docs and just couldn't come up with anything I liked, so it was worth the 12 bucks to me. That's literally the only school-related thing I bought out of pocket last year.

BioAngel likes this.
  5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jul 21, 2018

I use my lesson plans and my yearly overview (YO) for each course, which lists all the standards for each unit by section. I write my lesson plans by first looking at the YO and seeing how long each unit should take. For example, Unit 1:Title (x weeks). Then, I use a blank template grid and fill in the days according to how many weeks “x” I should allocate for Unit 1. This makes it much easier than thinking about each day individually. I plan the weeks and THEN fill in the days, NOT the converse. This will drastically cut down on the time it takes you to plan lessons.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 22, 2018

I use a Plum Planner because my school allows us to use whatever we want. We don’t have to turn in lesson plans though. At past schools, we’ve been required to do lesson plans in a particular format and then turn them in on some sort of regular basis. You may want to find out if your school has any requirements before you spend any money or put a lot of thought into creating your own.

7. CharRMS

CharRMS Companion

Jul 22, 2018

I use a planner that I created in PowerPoint and then printed and bound. Its pretty simple using the table creation in PP. You can set it up anyway that you like. That's how I starting making mine; I couldn't find a planner that I liked that worked the way I needed it to. I also started using Google Calendar last year to make a monthly overview plan that I could share with my team teachers.

8. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Jul 22, 2018

I purchased a planner from Teachers Pay Teachers. It can convert in to Google Drive and is updated yearly. It also has a bunch of record keeping forms to go along with it.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2018

My mom bought me a fancy lesson planner on Etsy as a gift. I love paper planners, so I am hoping that I will get to use it. It is a really nice planner and it is by the seller 4theloveofpi. I think I will use it to mark meetings, student notes, to-dos even if I need to use an online template for school.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 22, 2018

I use a google docs template. Lesson plans take me about 10-20 minutes to write for each week and I have four preps. Obviously gathering and creating materials takes longer though!

vickilyn likes this.
  11. That Business Guy

That Business Guy Rookie

Jul 22, 2018

I created a Word document with a table that listed each day of the week. For each day I wrote notes for my lesson plans.

Now I use a numbering system. I number each unit. Then within each unit I have numbered each lesson in the order that it will be taught. So I click on the correct unit, start with lesson one, and enjoy the day!

12. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Companion

Jul 24, 2018

I create a planner on Google sheets. Gives me the flexibility to create as many categories as I need and to have as much space as I need for each subject.

13. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 24, 2018

I have to have a physical copy. I'm very textile so I have to have that physical copy. Even if students email me their lab notes or something I have to print a copy out. My planner/grade book is a 2" three ring binder. The actual sheets I create in Excel and print them out. My lab notes is a 4" three ring binder that has all of my labs for the year. I have smaller versions (with more detail) for each class.

14. JimG

JimG Comrade

Jul 24, 2018

Google Calendar. I link every electronic resource I need for each given lesson in the event description/attachments section.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 24, 2018

I made a template in word. I have to list a ridiculous amount of information so my master copy has everything I need to add in. I just go in and delete what I don’t need and add in activities.

16. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jul 25, 2018

I use planbook.com. I print it out weekly, but am able to easily access it from anywhere to send notes to school if I need to have a sub unexpectedly.

17. Mr.Literature

Mr.Literature Companion

Jul 26, 2018

I use a word document. The schools I have worked at are pretty flexible about how we format our lesson plans. One school expected them on our desk so if admin walked in, they could see them. The rest have expected them to be uploaded to a folder. So as great as physical planners can be, and I usually do write out my ideas on paper, it is just easier to write out the full and detailed lessons on the word document.

I have 3 preps this year.
    I include: standards, goals, materials, activities, due dates, and days of the week. They are straightforward and help me not go crazy