Planning to visit the Mid West this Spring

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by MissFrizzle, Aug 13, 2006.

1. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2006

Any suggestions as to what's going on? and good places to visit and stay.. thanks.

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 13, 2006

The midwest is quite large--- If you are more specific we can be more specific!

I mean I love my city and I could promote it all day long--- so if Chicago is on your list--let me know!

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2006

beleive it or not... I was hoping someone could just tell me about the states they live in... I didn't really decide on what state yet. I'm researching on the net.

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 13, 2006

Oh well I can speak to Madison, WI and Chicago, IL.... Chicago is amazing-- clean, friendly, we have many sports activities, boat tours, beautiful lake, beautiful river, tourist traps (lol), great food, DEEP DISH PIZZA--- (I see you're from New York-- It's a bit of a competition!) We have broadway shows come through but you have that too. We have our own cast of WICKED, BLUE MAN GROUP, and I am not sure what else.... Chicago is beautiful and fun, but it can be cold in Spring....

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2006

Actually sounds like NYC.... What about WI

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 13, 2006

Supposedly we are the "NICE, Midwest version of NYC" (from what I hear. I've been to NYC only once when I was 3 and well don't remember it much--)

Anyway Madison, WI is a cute little college town that has the government and a large university there. UW-Madison. Farmers Market at the capitol on Saturdays. Cute little shops on State Street though when I moved many things like the Gap, Starbucks, and I think Fudruckers were moving in. The Wisconsin Dells aren't to far away and have huge water parks--though not sure if they open till after Memorial Day. There are some indoor ones. I've only been camping there never to the water parks.

I still say come see CHICAGO---

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2006

Thanks Chicago..... I am sending away for brochures and stuff... Chicago does sound like there is definitely a lot to do. I think NY'ers get a bad rap... I'm nice:D

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2006

My goal in life is to visit each of the 50 states.. So I am randomly deciding...

10. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 13, 2006

The Chicago burbs north of the city are quite nice, Lake County towns and villages in particular. The historic village of Long Grove dates back to the early 1800s. It has some nice antique shops and places to eat. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION.

You'll also find the town of Wauconda to be a nice quaint farming community. We did have a really nice Apple Orchard, but that was sold out for new houses. However, you may find the Lake County Discovery Musem of interest. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION.

In addition, you may also like the newly constructed Independence Grove in Livertyville. Set in the broad valley of the Des Plaines River, 1,100-acre Independence Grove offers a wide range of outdoor recreation and education opportunities centered on a 115-acre lake reclaimed from a gravel quarry. Miles of trails, an expansive lake, graceful prairies and quiet woodlands provide a picturesque backdrop for many fun activities. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION.

CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE LAKE COUNTY, ILLINOIS CONVENTION & VISITORS BUREAU WEBSITE.

P.S. -- The Chicago Botanic Garden and the Kenilworth Hstorical Society grounds just across the IL-Cook county border are also nice places to visit, especially Kenilworth.

Oh...and I can't help but plug the Cantigny First Division Army Museum either. Located on private grounds in Wheaton, IL (47 miles SW of Lake County), Cantigny ltends to leave its visitors in awe.

11. teachder

teachder Companion

Aug 14, 2006

Well, i am from Illinois, so Illinois should be where I send you, but in fact it's St. Louis. I lived right across the river in illinois. St.Louis and the surrounding areas are great. There's the arch, new baseball stadium, Court house (which i believe has some historical meaning but i can't remember), football, lots of lakes, a great science center and best of all a FREE awesome zoo. I forgot to mention great food and shopping as well and a SIX FLAGS! It's easy to get around in too. Not to much traffic and easy roads the city is really spread out. Lots of universities too. There is the Fox Theatre and the Muny (outdoor theatre) which is near Forest park which i believe is equal if not bigger than central park. It has paths and a golf course. The newest thing is the metro link which makes it even easier (especially with no car) to get around the area. You can actually go from the airport to across the river into Illinois on one train. It stops at different places so you don't have to worry. Speaking of the airport, it is really easy to get around in all aspects from gates to baggage to the metro or even shuttle service. There are lots of great hotels, but one that you may not be familiar with but is great for a mid range is the DRURY INN the are all over in the midwest. St. louis is close to other great towns too like Springfield Illinois and Branson Mo. with great little towns in between. Hey Crow and Pitt both came from Missouri so it can't be that bad.

12. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Aug 14, 2006

I grew up in the NW 'burbs of Chicago. I loved the Adler's Planetarium when I was a kid. Wisconsin Dells isn't that far from Chicago, either.

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2006

I have always lived in Wisconsin. However, have you been to the twin cities in Minnesota??? You would not be disappointed. There is something to do every minute of the day/night there and it is beautiful there!!! Go when the weather is nice though...not in the middle of winter! Dowtown Minneapolis is just awesome...museums, jazz bands on the streets, pubs...Mall of AMerica, fabulous zoos, and the Science museum is just waaaaaaay too awesome, planetarium is out of this world.......I love it there...oh and it is clean and quite safe for such a large city.

14. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2006

15. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 14, 2006

That's funny everyone always tells me the planetarium is horribly boring. I can get in for free---but everytime I go to the museum campus I end up going to the Shedd....

16. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2006

Frizz, come to my home town...........we'll put you up!!!!!;) :cool:

17. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2006

Kinder, could you imagine we would get into a lot of trouble together:D 7YA... How far are you from the Dells, that sounds like fun. Grammy's got me thinking about Minnesota... I have to check out the Mall of America:D

Thanks everyone for your great ideas and suggestions... I will be checking out the links that you sent from Michigan too.... I knew I would get a lot of help from you guys!!:)

I'd like to check out artsy places and museums.... I'm not much into sports ..... more sightseeing type stuff like zoos and planetariums...

18. teach4Knsc

teach4Knsc Rookie

Aug 14, 2006

We went XC last summer, from Charleston, SC (where we live) to Santa Cruz, CA and back! The WEST is awesome! But we enjoyed St Louis, MO (the zoo, the arch, a childrens museum, a Cardinals game- lots to do for free, too)- and Memphis, TN, but I guess that's kinda heading south!

We went to 22 states- 5 national parks- so I can share about certain places we went. We LOVED Wyoming!!

19. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2006

Do tell about Wyoming!

20. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2006

I haven't been to sleeping bear, but Silver Lake is fun.
    I'd go to any of those places...With mackinac can't go wrong with the FUDGE!!!!

I saw on one of the morning shows Saugatuck has become a place to visit. Small town with shops and I think they do a movie screening thing...for independent movies & what not.

21. Mizz Lucy

Mizz Lucy Guest

Aug 14, 2006

I say, on Wisconsin!!!

In Wisconsin, consider Door County. It's Wisconsin's pennisula.
    It's beautiful and relaxing.
    The wisconsin Dells has awesome indoor and outdoor waterparks.
    http://www.wildernessresort.com
    Other awesome indoor water park resorts are in the Dells are:
    Kalahari and Black Wolf

Chicago has the aquarium, navy pier, magnificant mile, Cubs game

Mall of America also has a cool aquarium. We spend entire weekends at the mall of America.

Madison has an excellent free zoo and friendly, clean beach.

22. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Aug 14, 2006

Well, I do remember my dad falling asleep! The chairs reclined, and it was nice and dark! But I'd love to take my kids there now...if we ever get back for a visit.

23. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 14, 2006

Wyoming isn't a Mid-western state, but don;t know what could possibly be in Wyoming. One would think it's rather bare except for the national parks teach4Knsc mentioned.

National parks are okay, I suppose, but me personally... would rather go for museums, planetartiums, oceanariums, zoos,m and the like if I was going to plan a trip out-of-state.

24. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2006

I heard Jackson Hole is a hot spot... true???

Anybody ever visited UTAH??? Sundance??

25. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2006

I know it's not exactly Mid West, but I was curious.

26. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2006

Frizz, I vote you come to WI...I'm not that far away from Kinder either! We could all meet for coffee!:D

Personally, I really like the WI Dells area. The Wilderness Resort is wonderful, inexpensive, and there are soooo many things to do just at the one resort.

The Twin Cities in MN is wonderful as well. I worked at Camp Snoopy for a short period of time. The Mall of America is a must see.

27. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2006

the hubby thinks I'm nuts for wanting to visit a mall.... men:rolleyes: :D

I'd definitely love to do coffee girls!!:cool:

28. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2006

Did I hear we are meeting for coffee?

29. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2006

care to join us:D

30. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2006

possibly!

31. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2006

:cool:

32. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2006

I grew up going to The Dells and when I was a teen we went to lots of dances there...drinking was 18 then and we had a blast at The Purple Haze!

33. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2006

Here's the plan...we all meet in the Dell's for a relaxing vacation at one of the resorts!!!:D

34. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2006

Jenn- Now I think I have to leave the hubby home for girls day....LOL:cool:

Do you know of any golf courses I could leave him at for the day...:D

35. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Aug 15, 2006

Oh, yes. I remember, growing up in the Chicago area, when some my friends turned 18, they'd drive to Wisconsin. The legal drinking age in Illinois was 21. So, it was off to Wisconsin for some of the high school seniors, and recent h.s. graduates.

36. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2006

Well, that sounds like a plan......grammy, jen, frizz and myself meet up in the dells.....send the husbands off golfing. There are plenty of courses in the area!!!!!;)

37. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2006

I'll be there:cool: :p :D

38. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2006

That might work...except for the golfing part...he is not a golfer...so I told him we will all go(family) and he can play with our grandson. He liked that idea!

39. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2006

Yeah Grammy!!!:cool:

40. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2006

Well now my kids will want to come and swim too!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!! Party in the dells this next spring!!!!!!!! :)

41. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2006

Can you see how funny this would be... I'll hold up a sign that says Frizz:p