Planning to relocate to South Florida

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Scout1104, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Scout1104

Scout1104 Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

Hi,
    I have been teaching 5-10th grade art at a charter school here since last year in July. I am a transition to teaching type person.

I would like to relocate to South Florida and teach next school year. My friend has suggested that I try Broward Co. as the starting pay is higher. I would also be in the next county to him.

I have not yet taken the Praxis I here and was wondering if the FTCE is similar. I have a very good friend who is very intelligent and has taken the Praxis Reading twice before passing and is on her third try for the math. She really studies and I was wondering how th eFTCE compares to the Praxis.

I was also wondering if anyone had any insight about teaching in Florida. The school where I currently teach is an inner city school. It bills itself as college prep., but it is more of an alternative school in that many of our students have been kicked out of all the other area schools or not admitted to the private schools because of their behavior.

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 16, 2007

hey pm me and I can also give you insight on the broward schools and the housing market!

4. Scout1104

Scout1104 Rookie

Sep 17, 2007

Thank you so much! My friend lives in West Palm and teaches there. He said that he thought Broward offered contracts in January for the upcoming school year. Any ideas?

Any housing info will be very helpful. It is just me and my 13 year old son.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 17, 2007

FTCE General Knowledge is roughly comparable to Praxis I - it's basic skills. Very intelligent people who struggle with basic skills tests sometimes have some gaps in their skill sets but more often are simply reading more into the test than is there.

What are you planning to teach? There are different FTCE exams for different grade levels and specializations. Overall, they're more or less comparable to Praxis II exams.

6. Scout1104

Scout1104 Rookie

Sep 20, 2007

My degree is in fine Art and i have been teaching art and graphic design.

I just saw my friend and she failed the math again. If I took the Praxis here, would that be accepted in Florida or would I have to take their test, do you think?

7. seesee

seesee Rookie

Sep 20, 2007

mommaruthie,

I am applying for broward county math teacher too, and finding it is difficult for a career changer. now i am thinking sub as to gather experience, in the meantime, i am going to the STAR program. any advice?

thanks.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 20, 2007

You should check the Web site of the Florida department of education - I'm sorry I don't have it handy - but since Florida requires its own tests, I would guess that Praxis wouldn't be accepted.

9. Scout1104

Scout1104 Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

What difficulties are you running into? I saw something about the Star program, but I don't recall what it is.

10. seesee

seesee Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

the difficulties are: no teaching experience, no education degree, looking too nice and kind,,,that is what the principals really said. so i end up to sub and start from$10/hour, and who knows if i can even get a sub call or not. I love teaching, and will pursue this career for sure, but just feel so low.

11. Scout1104

Scout1104 Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

Have you done any coaching or volunteer work with kids such as scouting or summer programs? That helped me, plus I am older. I do not have an education degree, but Ii got a chance teaching at a charter school. They are not the best, but it is a way to get some paid experience running your own classroom. The problem is that there is no support like you would get at a public school.

I will have two years teaching experience, in 5-10th grades, plus i have an ADD 13 year old son and had worked with kids. i'm hoping i will be alright.