Planning to Apply for Unemployment This Summer?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 11, 2011

Which of you substitutes are planning to apply for UI this summer?

I would, but I'm afraid to. Last time, I got a few checks only to (surprisingly) be made to repay it all back months later. That's worse than getting the $ in the 1st place. I was told that as long as you get reassurance to sub for next year, you can't really apply for UI...even though you still have no idea how much work you'll get! :mad: Hopefully I get a permanent job this summer/fall, so I won't have to worry about UI anymore!

3. TheDoc87

TheDoc87 Rookie

Mar 15, 2011

I wanted to do this last year, but was told the same thing. I will not be doing it.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2011

I was on UI before summer started and continued to received my claim forms and I continued to fill them out. I had NO CLUE that I wasn't supposed to do this. So, I actually got in contact with them and explained the situation and was told that it was their mistake, but that I still owed the money. Funny thing is, I still have yet to hear from them on what I owe. This was last October. I plan to find out what is going on, since it's been way too long.

I don't know Ms. I. I know I wouldn't bother applying. It's so much hassle!!!

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 15, 2011

Before this last time when I was made to pay it back, I applied & was approved a few times in which I got money that I actually got to keep. But, I guess they're stricter w/ the economy the way it is & all.

I don't want to go through what I went through the last time either. :(

6. SwimPenumbra

SwimPenumbra Rookie

Apr 7, 2011

Hi, let us know what you got, since it seems like we all should get this.
    Thanks

7. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Apr 8, 2011

It sounds like it's one of those things that depends on who you talk to and how they interpret the rules. I'm just going to stay away from it. No sense messing with the state when the rules are that vague.

8. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Apr 9, 2011

Applying for unemployment will fail due the "letters of reassurance" that your district will certainly mail to you sometime in May.

About five years ago, I had a telephone appointment with a judge to appeal my denial of unemployment. I knew I would lose of course, but I just wanted the opportunity to explain why subs should not be catagorized with other school employees.

I also recently wrote the compliance director of California's EDD to enlighten him on the millions of dollars being doled out to union workers such as my uneducated and unskilled laborer friend who earns $27.00/ hour, but who spends 50% of his entire career sitting home collecting full unemployment due to over staffing.

He can also turn down any job he doesn't want and just continue to collect unemployment.

I contrasted his situation with that of substitutes and expressed my bitterness.

Of course I knew he would not respond, but at least it felt good to vent.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2011

Why do you think subs 'all should get this'? The very nature of subbing is that it is temporary, 'at will' kind of work. Subs aren't 'laid off' or fired during the summer...

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2011

Czacza, you know I wondered about this too. Now, I consider subbing to be seasonal, right? I could be wrong here. Many people I know who have seasonal jobs get UI during the months they aren't working (could be several months, one month, or just a few days) The guy I'm thinking of is in construction. So, I wonder, why certain seasonal employees are allowed UI and not subs.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2011

I'm a concerned and conscientious taxpayer. We should all be concerned about where our taxes are going. Do those subs who do manage to collect UI look for other employment in the summer months? Is it required that those on UI 'prove' that they are actively seeking employment? I keep a light tutoring schedule during the summer....it's my flip flop, trips to the beach, suntan lotion money!:D If I absolutely needed to make more during the summer months, you can bet I'd be pounding the pavement looking for a summer job.:2cents:

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2011

I was on UI for a while and all I had to do to prove that I was looking was to check a little box that said something like, "I've been looking for a job this week". That's all. You are required to look at EDDs job seeking website and if you do not log in after a certain time period, you are not eligible for unemployment. I, for one, hope that I never have to be on UI again. It was such a hassle, really.

13. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Jun 5, 2011

Your taxes are going to support uneducated and overstaffed union workers who never have to actively look for work while "unemployed", and who make double what subs make with full benefits.
    They can also turn down work and still collect.

What is good enough for them is good enough for us.

If we do not deserve EDD benefits, neither do they.

Subs are also part of the STRS system, so our work does earn our retirement.

This, along with out tough economy, is why I no longer look upon subbing as " temporary work". I have been at it for 14 years.

Unfortunately, most subs do consider themselves temporary, so we will always be at a disadvantage from "the system".

14. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Jun 5, 2011

Because by definition we are "school employees", and there is a specific code that denies us EDD benefits for this reason.

This is why I wanted to talk to a judge, to explain that we are not like "typical" school employees because we are not actually "reassured" work at the end of a recess period.

This code is in place because all other school employees are indeed reassured of returning to work with their full yearly wages if they have not been laid off. They earn the equivalent of being paid all year long, so the EDD does not want them to claim unemployment when they are not really unemployed.

Subs, however, are only reassured of being on an "eligiblity to be called" list. In theory, we can be "reasurred" of returning to work without actually working a single day or earning a single dime after a recess period.

This definitely places us in a category all be ourselves, but we are nevertheless lumped with other school employees regarding denial of benefits.

15. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Jun 10, 2011

Where I live I would not be eligible for unemployment because I didn't have a job where I paid into it. I subbed the last 2 1/2 months of school but that is not a job that would qualify me to receive unemployment. I am not a school employee where I sub I just get calls from the sub caller. I know some of the bigger school districts have regular subs who probably work almost daily.

16. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 10, 2011

I'm thinking of applying for unemployment but I'm afraid of making the district upset? Also, I will be moving so I don't know how that would work. I was not a sub but a teacher and the reasons behind quitting are more complicated than just choosing not to work so I'm not worried if I will get accepted for unemployment, just wondering how it works when you file in one state and move to another.

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2011

Hmmm, I don't know how it'll work when you move states, but I didn't know that you could apply for unemployment if you quit. I thought you are only entitled to UI if you are laid off or fired.

18. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 11, 2011

nope....some states do allow it if you quit but as I said I didn't quit just to quit. There were underlying work related issues as to why I quit and that can be explained in the application.

19. carol7lynn

carol7lynn New Member

Jul 15, 2011

You can also quit with or without cause and collect UI benefits here in California after you return to work and make five times your weekly benefit.

Carol-Lynn

20. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2011

Really? I'm surprised that is the case. To me that seems like a lazy persons dream- work long enough to qualify for ui and then quit! That is terrible.

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2011

I'm sorry, but I am really not understanding the rules for applying to UI. I really thought UI was for people who were fired or laid off. Now, I understand that UI might bend some rules for people who quit for very good reasons (health comes to mind). But for people who quit without cause?? Seems strange to me.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 16, 2011

I'd like more clarification on this too. In the past, I've applied several times & most of the time, was approved & got $, but there's been a couple of times, I was made to pay back the $ I got, so I'm not too thrilled to apply anymore. Hopefully, I won't have to again.

23. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Jul 16, 2011

How did you ever get approved, unless your district(s) provided no "letters of reassurance" to return to work?

24. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 16, 2011

look at your states UI guidelines and options. In my app. it gives you a choice to choose that you quit but asks you why. I think that if you accuse your former of poor working conditions or something similar it would be hard to prove. My dad is sick so I'm hoping that may qualify.....

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 16, 2011

I have no idea. My mentality when I was always applying was that I'll apply & see & they'll either say YES or NO...but it would be nice if they said YES. I felt I deserved any $ I got to keep. I always applied like shortly after school was out & the reassurance letters didn't come to me until the middle to end of summer. Well, in the meantim, I had bills to pay.

26. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Jul 18, 2011

Leters of reassurance for all my district always show up in May.

I applied twice and was denied twice, so I just never bothered again.

27. carol7lynn

carol7lynn New Member

Jul 20, 2011

Unemployment is also for people who are "working less than full time."

* The majority of substitute teachers work "on-call" and are not working full time. Some weeks you can work every day and the next week you might not work at all no mater how many times you access SubFinder. UI benefit is a safety net and not a matter of being "lazy." It is a matter of accessing benefits that you are entitled to any week that you make less than your "UI Weekly Benefit" any time your district is not in recess. Furlough days and legal holidays do not count as school recess days by the way.

So, when the new school year begins and you are not offered any work or are not working every day then you should file a UI claim-in most states you can do it on line.

*Your reason for filing is quite simple-you're "on call" and not working full time. Once your claim is processed EDD will schedule a phone eligibility interview to determine if your district is in recess or not. Once they determine that your district is not in recess and you are "on-call" then they will send you a benefit award letter which tells you what your weekly benefit is. Note you should file on a day you are not working even if you worked the day before.

*Your weekly benefit is based on your highest quarter in your benefit year. EDD goes back eighteen months to start the clock. For example you file in September 2011. Your benefit year would start March 2010 and run through March 31, 2011.
    *Your weekly benefit includes all wages earned including non-school wages. EDD divides the highest quarter total by 26 and that is your weekly benefit giving you a break down of how much comes from school wages and how much comes from non-school wages. This is important because when school is in recess you can only collect non-school wages.

So here's how it really works.

* If you have no earnings in a given week, than you can collect your entire benefit-as long as you don't make yourself unavailable for work for any other reason than "sickness" and your district is not in recess. If you work in multiple districts then you may qualify if at least one of those district is not in recess (usually a year-round district.) Note: EDD will reduce your benefit by the number of days you report that you were sick but they will not deny them. More about that below.

** If you have earnings (school or non-school) then you simply report them on your continued claim form even if you haven't received them yet. If you earn less than your UI weekly benefit then you get the difference between what you earned and your weekly benefit. Note: If you make more than your weekly benefit you might still be eligible for some money as EDD only deducts 75% of what you earned that week.

Here is an example if you worked one day in a claimed week. Note the first twenty-five percent of what you earned is not deducted.

Daily Sub Rate: $100

Weekly UI Benefit: $300
    Deduct Reported Wages -$75 ($100-$25)
    UI Benefit Paid for Week: $275

So in effect you earned $100 in wages and also collected $275 in UI benefits which means your income for the week would be $375 instead of just $100 if you had not applied for UI benefits and filed a biweekly claim. It can really add up and in some instances make the difference between being able to pay your mortgage or not. Call me "lazy" cause I don't fancy living in the streets because I left untapped resources go uncollected for fear of being labeled. Be my guest.

*** As indicated above you have to be very careful about several things when you file your continued claims: Reporting your earnings and not refusing jobs on a regular basis-period.

Districts will (and should) get you disqualified because you keep refusing jobs and you keep making yourself unavailable for work so you can sit on your butt and collected UI benefits. That is why SubFinder asks you why you are refusing jobs and keeps track of your periods of unavailability.

Every time you file a claim, EDD notifies your district(s) and believe me the first thing the county UI unemployment tech does is contat your district(s) and has then run a SubFinder report to see if you are playing games. If they catch you playing the system then the county UI tech will notify EDD and you will be found ineligible for the week or longer if they can establish a pattern of abuse. So long story short always be truthful and if you turn down work then you better be sick or have a good reason-working in another district is acceptable.

Carol-Lynn

28. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 31, 2011

I just applied this summer (in CA)... was turned down because of the reasonale assurance thing. I submitted the application, completed some paperwork, and did a phone interview. Another rejection in my teaching career. :blush:

29. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Aug 1, 2011

If this works, I don't know if I should celebrate or cry.

It would mean I have lost about $50,000 over the course of 14 years.

The EDD, based on my friend's experience, does not check up on much.
    To review, my friend is an unskilled laborer making $27/hour in a labor union position.

Half of his career has been spent collecting unemployment because the union is overstaffed. However, he sometimes turns down work that he deems undesirable, and continues to collect unemployment, as do thousands of others.

He gets $450/week unemployment.
    EDD has never checked up in him to see if he turned down work, not in 16 years.

It is actually easier to check on him than it would be me because EDD would need to check with three districts.

However, maybe the EDD likes union workers more than school workers.

School starts on August 22. I will file a claim at the end of August and see what happens.

30. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2011

It depends on the state...but there is more to it then just being underemployed...

If you were always working full time and all of a sudden you are "underemployed" then you would be eligible. But if you always worked 2/3 days a week, and you still are, then you wouldn't. Basically.

Also, you can't get UI forever-depending on the state would depend on how long you can get it for.

31. hatima

hatima Devotee

Aug 2, 2011

Albuquerque Public School subs are not eligable to UI. I've been subbing since '05 and many other subs here have been subbing for much longer.

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2011

What a bummer! Thank God I haven't had to apply this summer! They'll probably make me pay back the $ as they've done in the past more than once PLUS, they'll probably tell me the same thing they said to you (about assurance).

33. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2011

What money would you have to pay back if you didn't receive unemployment this summer?

34. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2011

I think Ms. I meant, if she did apply and get awarded UI, that later on they would turn around and make her pay it back.

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2011

Exactly! In the past czacza, I was approved for UI, which was great at the time, but was made to pay it back mos down the road. Well that's worse than getting approved int he 1st place because they sprung it on me, which of course I wasn't expecting.