Planning Time

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by emerald115, Dec 13, 2006.

1. emerald115

emerald115 Rookie

Dec 13, 2006

Hi Everyone,
    Can anyone lend me some insight as to how much planning time I should be given each day (or week) as a pre-k teacher? I seem to be getting less than everyone else in the school, and i've brought it up with the director and she says its fair.

Is there a standard amount of planning time schools should allow all teachers? And shouldn't all of the teachers be getting the same amount of time?

Thanks for your help!

3. teachall

teachall Rookie

Dec 13, 2006

I teach 1st. I get one 30 minute instructional planning during each school day and 30 minutes at the end of the day after the children have gone home. They probably consider nap time part of your planning time.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 13, 2006

My teacher (also 1st) gets 15-20 mins (during recess), another 20 min during specials and 45 min after school. Our Pre-K does consider the nap time as part of thiers plus a second recess in the afternoon.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2006

I teach K and I get 30 minutes in the morning and 15 after school. None during the day as we don't do naps and I teach non stop all day

6. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 13, 2006

I teach Pre-K. All my planning is done either before or after school.

7. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Dec 13, 2006

planning period?

You get a planning period?? I teach second grade and my planning periods are whenever the students are at PE (30 Min), Art (50 min. every other week) etc. HOWEVER, these are also the times we meet for Data meetings such as DIBLES, inhouse work shops, grade level meetings and so on. It is rare that I can do any planning or even grade papers at this time. Oh, but on my schedule that is filed with the State Department of Education my planning period is at 2:30-3:00. But I have outside duty so it all gets done on my time.

8. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2006

I would be happy that you even get a planning period if I were you. It's not that standard, to be honest. Usually planning is done whenever the teacher just has time (like nap in pre-k) and it's not ever guaranteed you'll get any out of the classroom.

9. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2006

If you're in a system of any size, you probably have a contract that spells out exactly how much planning/prep time you get. In ours, it even states how much can be "group/meeting" oriented (like the one teacher mentioned, reviewing data, attending planning sessions with the Reading Tchr, etc) and how much is personal classroom planning time. However, yes, I do get less than everyone else in the school. I get the bare minimum - only what they absolutely have to give me to meet the terms of the contract - while the rest of the teachers get extra. I can't complain...I also have a full time aide that no one else has. I was just pointing out that you may be in the same situation...yes, everyone else is getting more than me, but I'm still getting what I'm promised. I think the difference is that I'm in a half day program, so I get no specials at all, while everyone else is all day and gets that time, plus lunch and before/after school time. I only get lunch and before/after school time.
    Kim

10. emerald115

emerald115 Rookie

Dec 15, 2006

Thank you all for your help! Its been very useful.

11. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Dec 16, 2006

Hi emerald: I think the amount of planning time varies by state or district. I teach full-day public pre-k in Texas and I get 50 minutes per day of planning time, just like all other teachers K-12 in my district. In TX we are guaranteed a certain amount of planning time per day. If you're in public school check with your state and union if you have one.

12. msaly

msaly Comrade

Dec 19, 2006

I do not get any planning time. All my planning is done after school on my own time.