Planning Time?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TinyTeacher, Sep 18, 2013.

1. TinyTeacher

TinyTeacher Rookie

Sep 18, 2013

Question: Do you get enough planning time? I work 8-5:30 with an hour and a half lunch. The rest of the time I'm with the kids and its very difficult to get anything done during that time. Even my hour and a half lunch isn't enough time to get things done and Im feeling very overwhelmed. Any advice?

3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Sep 18, 2013

I have an AM and PM session, but we have 45 minutes between sessions that is supposed to be used for lunch, cleaning, prep for next session, and planning....it's ridiculous. I think every teacher could use more planning. The K-5 teachers at my school get 55 minutes each day, but they have to use theirs to attend team meetings. Since I'm salaried, we don't really get to complain about it, so all of my planning is done at night and I spend most Saturdays at school. My only advice is to keep it simple. Plan 2-3 small group/art activities for each week, make sure all activities are pourposeful so you don't spend time planning for things that won't have a clear learning objective. Use Pinterest! I usually go through pins each night and by the weekend, I have a good list of activities to use. Save your lesson plans so you can reuse ideas each year. Have pre-made skills checklists to quickly check where students are and know what they need to work on next. Most research shows that very little true learning occurs in a large group setting, so focus more on great small groups or 1:1 activities and less on circle time. Good luck!

4. msaly

msaly Comrade

Sep 18, 2013

We don't get any planning time. We get 10 mins of prep before the kids come. I do all my planning at home at night or on the weekend. I stay after school for like 20 mins to do some prep work if I need to, but that is my choice and I'm not paid for it.

5. mandamouse123

mandamouse123 Rookie

Sep 19, 2013

No, I don't. I get an hour break, which I use to quickly stack chairs, sweep the floor, and straighten up my room, but I can't really do any work because that's when the floors get mopped. I still have to clean my sink and vacuum my carpets, in whatever time I can squeeze it in. I try to use nap time as a prep period, but it's very hit or miss. If everyone is sleeping, great! If someone's still awake, too bad. Prep time lost.

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2013

2 hours a week in the office :)

7. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Sep 19, 2013

I am lucky enough to have each Friday off to plan, have home visits for my head start kids and meetings with the other preschool teachers in the other districts elementary schools. My school day ends at 2:45 and I usually stay till like 5 on some days! It's really tough to prepare for two classes that learn at totally different levels

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2013

I don't. I get some time on Wednesdays, but not every Wednesday. And I have 6 grade levels and 5 after school groups.

9. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

Oct 9, 2013

No planning time, I do it all at home or on my lunch(45 min). Like someone above said, save everything for next year!

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 9, 2013

I get 20 minutes for lunch.

I have 75 minute planning every day, which is taken two days a week with meetings and two days a week with remediation.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 9, 2013

When you have little or no planning, you have to get creative. I suggest finding an activity that you can break down into daily presentations. That way, all you have to do is do lesson 3.5 today and 3.6 tomorrow. I had a movement one--Jump to Learn. It had a special PE activity for each day. I also had one on language. You have to hunt for these, but they are around.

12. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Oct 10, 2013

I get none. Nap time in theory could be a time to plan, but they don't sleep. I have stayed late many days and am trying to stop. I really want to do a good job but I don't get paid enough to stay and work off the clock. It's super frustrating; I would be so much better at my job if I had some time to collect my thoughts, organize the classroom, and prepare materials for activities.

13. 3kids+asheltie

3kids+asheltie New Member

Oct 13, 2013

We don't get a planning time but we do use our kids nap/rest time to do some planning. I wish we did get a planning time, most days we can not get anything done during rest time.