Planning Time

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jasa4nw, May 15, 2012.

1. jasa4nw

jasa4nw New Member

May 15, 2012

Hi, I was wondering what the average amount of planning time teachers are compensated for. I am new to the field and will be teaching Kindergarten in September. I am sure it differs from area to area, public to private, I am just looking to get an average. Thanks for any help you can give me.

3. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

May 15, 2012

This year I have 20 minutes before school. Monday through Thursday I have a 40 minute planning period which is usually filled with IEP meetings, grade level meetings, and teacher based team meetings. There is about 5 minutes after busses are called before the work day ends. I have no planning time on Fridays. (Yes, it is horrible!) Recess is 20 minutes. One week I have recess 3 times which leaves me with 2 days of 20 extra minutes for planning. The next week is the opposite.

Next year, due to budget cuts, I will only have two 40 minute planning periods:( Yes, you read that correctly. I will have two 40 minute planning periods.

I teach second grade. I am responsible for all subject areas. I do DSA spelling which is time consuming to plan for since i juggle 5 groups. I do guided reading which takes a lot of planning. I am also responsible for 2 thirty minute intervention periods per week.

I am very frustrated!!! I hope you have far better luck in your planning time.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 15, 2012

In addition to our lunch period, we have at least one period per day designated as a "prep" period. (On a normal day, that's 38 minutes. If we have mass or some other assembly, it can be as little as 29 minutes.)

We also sub internally. So on any given day, I might or might not be free for my on call period.

5. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 15, 2012

Around here, school is out at 3pm and teachers are expected to work until 4pm. Also, there is an extra hour and half on Wednesdays for early release, but that is usually filled with staff meetings and professional development.

6. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

May 15, 2012

I'm grant funded pre-k, and I have 0 minutes a week of paid planning, unless you count my lunch hour, which I do not. Yes, you read that right. :D Because what could a pre-k teacher possibly need to plan?

My pay day officially begins at 9 am. I need to be at the front doors to greet the students at, you guessed it, 9 am. I dismiss at 11:30 and my lunch hour is from 11:30 until 12:30 when I have to be back at the doors to get the afternoon kids. Technically that is an hour for lunch, which is nice, except I don't get back to the classroom until 11:35 (assuming everyone is on time, which is rare!) and then I spend minimum 10 minutes switching out name tags, putting the calendar back in order, cleaning up projects, and wiping down tables for the afternoon session. I usually start lunch between 11:45 and 11:50 and I have to be back at 12:25 to put my stuff away and get the next group. So my lunch/"prep" I guess is usually 35 minutes. My pm session ends at 3:00, and so does my pay. If you want to be picky about it, I dismiss for free every day because the clock stops at 3 and dismissal takes at least until 3:05. Longer when I have to go into the office to call late parents.

It stinks. There is SO much to plan for any teacher. Even if my lessons are planned weeks in advance, pre-k takes so much PREPPING on a daily basis that it's ridiculous. Hope yours is better!!!

7. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

May 15, 2012

I get one class period every day. So 55 minutes. It's in our contract to have one planning period. If we want to give it up to cover for another teacher, we are compensated for it.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 15, 2012

In my district it can be different for elementary and high school teachers. At the high school level, most teachers have about 45 total minutes before and after school, plus one entire class period which ranges from about 50 minutes to about 90 (depending on whether the school is on a block schedule or not). An average amount of time for high school teachers in my district is therefore around an hour and a half per day, and that includes before and after school time.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 15, 2012

I get one period as a conference which is 45 minutes and another period for ARD meetings, etc which is another 45 minutes.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 15, 2012

We have lunch and recess duty daily (plus an after school duty), so my planning time in only when my kids are in Specials. It amounts to three 45-minute blocks per week, and one of those is typically reserved for meetings, and meetings can be scheduled in any planning block.

11. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

May 15, 2012

The teachers hours are from 8:00-4:00 and student hours are 8:25-3:20

25 minutes before school
    30 minutes after school
    30 minute specials 6 times per week (60 minutes of that is designated grade level collaboration)
    2 recesses at 15 minutes apiece (pending the days, we rotate recess duties)
    1 recess at 20 minutes (again pending recess duty rotation)
    20 minutes duty free lunch

So...In one day if we have no duties we could have 155 minutes of planning time. Wow...now that I write that out, it adds up to a ton of time!!! I always thought we had a lot of down time, but holy cow!! Of course, I rarely work during my lunch because I'M HUNGRY! I also rarely use my recess for planning because I have kids finishing work, behaviors to deal with, meetings, bathroom break, etc. I'm someone who has to have time to sit and get a full task done. I can't get started on something in 15 minutes and come back to it later.

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 15, 2012

4 days a week = 46 minutes (5th period for me)
    1 day a week = 40 minutes (5th period for me)
    5 days a week = 10 minutes after school

13. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 15, 2012

My current planning time is horrible. I supposedly get 30 minutes before school- we are contracted to arrive at 8, but school starts at 8:30- but 3 days a week I have some sort of pd or staff meeting starting before 8 (7 or 7:30) and going right up until 8:30. I almost always have an IEP meeting starting at 8 on one of the days that doesn't have pd/staff meeting, so if I'm lucky I get that planning time 1 time per week. I also have 40 minute planning periods 3 times a week- tuesday, wednesday, and thursday. Regular ed teachers get 7 of these 40 minute planning periods (due to there being 7 specials this year). Some days I also don't have a lunch period. On the days I do, I get 30 minutes while regular ed teachers get 40. Two days a week, my 30 minutes is totally eaten up by meetings.

At my new job I will literally have triple the planning time that I do now. Partly because I'm switching to regular ed and partly because of the way they set the schedule up. They just hired several new ESL teachers which will mean that the students get a block of ESL every day for 50 minutes in addition to their 50 minute special for the day- meaning that teachers get TWO 50 minute blocks of planning per day. I figure even if one is eaten up by something, there is still the other 50 minutes. That would be in addition to whatever "contract time" we have outside of the school day- and my new building has shorter hours with students as well, so it should be more than what I'm getting now. At my current school students go for 7.5 hours, at my new school they go for 6 hours and 45 minutes. The more I think about it, the more I am so happy to be getting out!

14. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 15, 2012

I get one 50 minute prep every day except Wednesday.....SHOULD get anyway....somehow my Friday prep always disappears. We always have a mandatory assembly or something. And Mondays I have a team meeting. So really...Tuesday and Thursday. Ha.

15. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 15, 2012

We get 40 minutes either before or after school. There is no time during the school day, except when we have resource classes once every 8 school days. I get two 45 minute time blocks to plan on resource days, but I have to attend the rest of the classes with my kids.

16. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 16, 2012

We get 48 minutes before school - no class periods preps. This is often taken up by meetings or phone calls... and more often than not, I have meetings after school, as well.

17. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 16, 2012

We have no specific working hours, so I don't know what is "compensated" and what isn't. I work 6AM to 3PM Monday through Friday, nearly a full day in school on Saturday, usually starting around 7AM, and Sunday maybe five or six hours also in the morning at school. I do not work at night: can't stand to. I suppose most prep is done during the weekend hours. It varies, though, depending on the correcting load, which is huge in my line of work.

My wife works with elementary teachers: they're in on weekends here too, I know.

18. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 16, 2012

We have 7, 60 minute periods (we are on an extended schedule). Each teacher has 1 period off per day, and are required to come to school 30 minutes before the kids and stay an hour after. It's all outlined in their contract. I am here from 7:00 until at least 4:00 everyday--not including all the work I bring home, which includes my teaching and principal duties.

My school, however, is not the norm. I took it over, when it was intended to be moved from a private school to a charter school. However, it was decided that we remain a non-union private school.

19. greendream

greendream Cohort

May 16, 2012

50 minutes every day.

20. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

May 16, 2012

Our contracted hours are 7:45-3:45 with students entering at 8:00am and leaving at 3:25AM. We also get a 45 minute planning period and a 30 minute lunch. I have only had to give up my planning period twice. Thus, minus lunch, we have about an hour and 20 minutes payed planning time.

21. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 16, 2012

We are required to be here 7:30-3:45. We have daily faculty devotions (parochial school) at 7:30, and those usually last until at least 7:50, giving us maybe 15 minutes before the kids come in at 8:05. On Wednesdays, we have staff meeting right until school starts. Dismissal usually takes until 3:30, so we have about 15 minutes then. We eat lunch in the cafeteria with the kids; by the time we're done, we have about 15 minutes while they're at recess. Two or three days a week I have 15 minutes in the afternoon when I don't have PM recess duty. So, technically we have about an hour, but it's so fragmented that it's almost impossible to get anything done during it, especially once you figure in things like using the restroom and checking your mailbox in the office.

22. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 16, 2012

K-8 teachers in my district receive 30 minutes before school and 15 minutes after school.

23. jasa4nw

jasa4nw New Member

May 16, 2012

In response to your posts on planning time.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Wow, what a huge discrepancy that exists for scheduled planning time. I had concerns that I was being offered 2 hours a week planning time plus 15 minutes prep before the school day (about half of which is spent doing mandatory "chores") and 15 minutes after dismissal which is supposed to include cleaning my room, vacuuming,etc.. I would need that full amount of time to keep a basic level of cleanliness in my room but the problem lies in the fact that it is rare that all the children will be picked up on time, typically it is about 10 after by time the last one is out. leaving me 5 minutes to clean up. There is no paid cleaning staff at the school, the teachers do it all including cleaning the common bathroom areas on a rotating basis every morning. There is no way to clean the classroom in 5 minutes, so I will need to stay at least 10 to 15 minutes a day extra to clean, let's call it an hour a week. Leaves me an hour paid planning. Oh yes, all staff meetings, training etc. are included in that time. This is a brand new program and I am responsible for it all, every detail from developing the curriculum to the selection of materials to the ordering of supplies from companies. At this point it is hard for me to imagine how much time I will be giving away. I have read some posts that make it seem like I have it made, especially the 0 planning time one. I just can not believe that schools can get away with that. God Bless us all. If we were to stand up and refuse to work without compensation the entire educational system would fall apart. Quality of education would all but cease to exist. Can you imagine actually being compensated for the time you put in? For those of you that are, bravo! You deserve every second!

24. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

May 16, 2012

45 minutes in the morning: 7:15 to 8:00
    30 minutes at the end of school: 2:15 to 2:45

Most of these times are taken up with committee meetings, staff meetings, IEP meetings, Parent-Student meetings, and extra help for students that need it. Most of my real planning is at home, and is not getting recorded very well at the moment, but I spend a lot of time running through things in my head about what I need to accomplish and how I want to do it.

25. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

May 18, 2012

Welcome to the wonderful world of teaching, you never know what you're going to get. I won't lie, dispite the large amount of planning time I have, I spend just as much time after hours at school AND at home!!! Its up to you how to work it out. I know teachers that get it all done at school and never take anything home. It's really your own preference!

26. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

May 20, 2012

I teach Kindergarten at a public school in Texas. All teachers at my school (K-4) get a 60 minute planning period Monday thru Thursday ( a total of 240 minutes per week). As a Kindergarten teacher, my students take a 1 hour nap daily, in which we use this time to plan ( a total of 300 minutes per week). We also have a 30 minute duty free lunch each day.

So, not including the duty free lunch -

Kindergarten Teachers - 540 minutes per week
    1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Grade Teachers - 240 minutes per week

I will be teaching 2nd grade next year, so I'll be losing 300 minutes. :(