Planning period....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2022

I spied next year's proposed master schedule.... First period planning!

And since we run A/B block scheduling, it's every other day.... So who else has had 1st period planning and does it change the way you organize your time?

3. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Apr 19, 2022

I had a first period plan one day a week last rotation. I like it. It was a lifesaver when we were down to one functioning copier for the whole building. For me, I get more done because I'm not distracted by whatever went on in prior classes and I get my full plan because I'm not teaching right before.
    I teach "specials"/"encore"/"extras" whatever your school calls them, so my schedule is different every day. Having had plans at beginning, middle, and end, I like 1st period and 7th period best (4/5th lunch). 8th period is when I don't get much done because I'm so tired and afternoon slump is kicking in.

4. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Apr 21, 2022

I have 1st and 2nd period planning every day. It is nice to have time to set things up for the day ahead!

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2022

I've had first planning period in many years, just the way the schedule worked out. I never liked it. One, I am NOT a morning person and tend to be sluggish and less productive in the mornings. If there are kids in front of me, obviously I'm forced to perk up. Sitting on my own for planning was a different story. I also prefer to only do lesson plans 1-2 days ahead. I know it probably sounds crazy to some people, but it really works for me because I can plan so much more intentionally- I know based on today's lessons if I need to go faster or slower tomorrow, review something else, etc. I'm never redoing work "tweaking" plans like I used to constantly when I would plan for the whole week ahead. Having first planning period is way less convenient for this. It also made the teaching day feel long because once I started teaching, there was no break other than my short lunch.

This year I have second to last planning period. That works out much better for my schedule, and it at least sort of breaks the day up more, having planning and then having just one additional class after that. I think my ideal schedule would be to have a late morning planning period, teach a couple of classes after that, and then a late lunch. That would break up the day the most.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 21, 2022

I had 1st period planning once when I taught in a middle school and really didn't like it at all. I prefer to have it later in the day so the day is broken up more. I felt like I was less productive that period for some reason.