planning on renting out one of the bedrooms- what kinds of things should we provide

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2010

So, we have a four bedroom house. My hubby and I want to rent out one (later two) of the bedrooms to help pay the mortgage. Plus, we don't need ALL of the bedrooms. We live close by the junior college and the university so we are wanting to rent out to students.

So, my question is, what items should we provide for our college renters? For example, we already purchased a bed frame, a desk, and a chair. We plan to get the mattress and a dresser. But, what else? Do we need to get pillows, blankets, sheets, towels, etc? Am I missing anything else?

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 14, 2010

Before you even worry about furnishings, you need to be familiar with tenant/landlord rights and responsibilities. It can really save you a headache down the road. I speak not from my experience but from those of my family members who have rented rooms. :)

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/catenant.pdf

To answer your question, though, I would expect that the renter provide his or her own linens.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 15, 2010

I have never rented out a room, but I suspect the more you supply the more rent you can charge. I would add a comfy chair to the room. It would not have to be new.

5. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jun 15, 2010

As a college student, I'll help! A bookshelf, even a short one. It would be even better if it doubles as a tv stand or something. A floor lamp. Curtains? I love having curtains, they are so homey.
    Don't get pillows or anything, they should provide their own bedding and towels.

Good luck!

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 15, 2010

Wow, that's brave of you to want to rent to college kids! You're furnishing the whole rm I see. In the "olden" days, I'd say have a separate phone line in the rm, but everyone has a cell these days, that it's probably not necessary.

They should have their own towels & bed linens I would think, but that's nice of you to supply.

I've never rented a rm out nor hv I ever rented someone's, but here's some questions you may want to ask yourself:

- Will they be able to hook up their TV to get cable?

- How about internet?

- When will they do their laundry? You can set up a schedule (ie. Mons & Thurs are wash day for them)

- Were you going to supply a mini fridge or are they sharing a shelf in your fridge?

- What times will they get access to use the kitchen?

- How about a lock on their bedroom door for their privacy/security (although you can demand to look in the rm anytime you want of course)

- What are the rules regarding them having friends over/parties, overnight guests, drinking, smoking, playing music, pets, etc? (hopefully, they don't do most of this)

- In addition to cleaning up their own messes (dishes, clothes, etc.), are you going to have them help out w/ other things such as mowing the lawn, taking out the trash, etc.?

- Where are they parking their car?

- How do they get their mail, meaning are you going to always get it & slide theirs under their door?

That's all I can think of for now.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2010

Erin, thanks for that link. My in-laws do the whole landlord thing (although, they own houses that they rent out), but we are going to talk with them and get the info. I bookmarked your link.

Thanks Blue and FT. Blue, that's one reason why I want to supply as much as possible. To stand out!
    FT, thanks. I didn't think about a bookshelf. We have curtains in the room, they are deep purple. If it's a girl, we'll leave it up. If it's a guy, then we'll buy another set.

One thing that popped in my mind when you mentioned tv, we don't have cable. We are too poor to have it. Do you think we should get it if we rent?

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2010

:D Thanks for the questions!!

9. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jun 15, 2010

This is just me, and I can't speak for all college kids- but I would not rent in a place that didn't have cable if it was at all possible. I'm sure that wouldn't be a big deal for someone, but I need to be able to watch tv after a long day of classes and stuff.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 15, 2010

You're welcome! Also Peachy, remember about parking & their mail!

I feel the same way!

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2010

Sigh.... When I was in college, no one I knew had cable. Maybe we were all weirdos! :p But, I suppose you are right. When you rent in someone's home, you expect cable.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2010

Oh, and thanks for your input! :)

13. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 15, 2010

You don't necessarily need cable if where you live an antenna can do the job. We're playing around with dropping our cable and got an antenna this past weekend. Other than Fox all the basic channels come in fine. I watch our Fox shows via the internet. But I agree that a college student is going to want to be able to watch TV.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2010

My son is a university student, renting a room in a house right now and he'll be looking for another in the fall. He may be unusual, but lack of cable would not be a deal-breaker for him--he rarely watches TV, but internet is a must. It sounds as though you have the basics covered. I second the book-shelf idea; his textbooks take up a lot of space! I wish you were closer, Peachy, I'd send you my kid!

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2010

Don't forget the background check. You may also want to reconsider your drinking policy. Many college students are underage and so are their friends so if you choose to allow drinking, do you have a way to monitor everyone who will be visiting, even when you are not home? I also had a friend who rented a room and for some reason, it was not allowed in their homeowners policy and their insurance was canceled. Might be worth checking into. You may need an extra rider or something.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2010

You're right about the drinking. I think as long as I know they are above age, THEY can drink, appropriately. But the friends part is what would worry me. Good point.

I didn't even think about the homeowners policy! I'll look into that.