Planning for this year

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by wldywall, Aug 19, 2008.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2008

School starts in less than two weeks, and I am still without the pacing guides/curriculum maps/instructions of what to teach in these classes!!!! I am freaking out. My stuff is still at the other school, the retired teacher is almost done with the room, I also have stuff here at home yet!

But I could care less about the room.......

I dont' know what the heck I will be teaching, in general yes, but where do I start???? What are the other teachers going to cover????? :help::help::help::help:

Okay, where can I start.....how do I plan for a first day when I don't know what I am going to be teaching and I only have one of the three textbooks......????

I need good solid ideas, I haven't slept in days as I am freaking out!

3. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

Start with rules and procedures for your class. You don't need ot know what you are teaching to know how you want your students to behave.

All else aside, you could do some stuff with current events until you have a solid curriculum

4. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 19, 2008

Can you contact another teacher at your school? If they are teaching the same course, they must know the curriculum and have some ideas.

5. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 19, 2008

I would contact other teachers and the P and see what can be done. I would hate to be starting off not knowing what I would be teaching. I am the type that likes to stay way ahead and that would drive me insane. I wish you luck....

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 19, 2008

Since you're teaching history, you could also start with a "what do you already know" timeline. Give them a big mixed up list of historical events (American, world, whatever you think is grade appropriate), and have them work in groups to put them in the correct order. Then, once you've double checked to make sure they are right, the kids could decorate them hang them around your room.