Planning chemistry class--need advice!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by lauraf, Aug 31, 2013.

1. lauraf

lauraf New Member

Aug 31, 2013

I work at a really small school...the chemistry class I am having trouble planning for has only 6 students, which is great. The problem is I'm just not sure of the best approach here...

If anyone has experience teaching science (I really don't...this is my first year teaching. My student teaching experience was math and history), what do you recommend? We don't have a projector for PowerPoint. We have an overhead projector, whiteboard, the basics.

Do you recommend handing out an outline or notes? Writing tons on the board? Lecture-style?

What has been the most effective for you? I know, I know, hands-on is best, but the school doesn't have much of a budget for science experiment materials and there really isn't a lab.

Thanks for your help!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 31, 2013

A good start, since you're in California, might be to consult the state content standards in science to identify concepts that students at the level of yours should be expected to learn. Some of those concepts are best taught through formal labs, but remarkably many can at least be approached differently.

What can you safely assume that your students already know about science in general? What might they already know about chemistry?

4. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2013

I do a lot of my chemistry teaching using the old fashioned whiteboard method. There are also lots of labs that can be done using household things and do not require a "true" lab. I use Interactive Notebooks to help with their organization. I would be happy to share my curriculum map with you to help you get started.

5. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 11, 2013

You can start with significant figures, measurement, how to solve word problems in chemistry and the periodic table. Scientific notation is also helpful. Look at Khan academy for video lectures.

6. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Sep 11, 2013

I recommend a lot of physical modeling (like molecular modeling kits), visual representations, and drawing practice. Have the kids interact with molecular structures in as many different modes as possible. It's tough to "get" something that you can't see.

7. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Sep 11, 2013

Most of chemistry is learned the old fashion way- board work and lots of example problems. You should also consider doing a hands on activity/lab once a week.