Planets Final Project

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by MissBee, Nov 7, 2007.

1. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Nov 7, 2007

Does anyone have any fun culminating project on the planets/solar system? My fourth grade team is assigning a planet report at the end of the month, and I am trying to come up with a fun, hands-on project for them to complete in addition to the essay part. We were thinking a poster, a 3D model, and I would like one more option for the kids to pick from. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!
    Kerry :)

3. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Nov 7, 2007

I have my kids research a planet, then they have to write/design a postcard (9X12 size) to showcase all they've learned. They also need to design the front of the postcard as well as created a stamp. They address it to whomever they are writing to. Covers so many standards at one time!

4. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Nov 9, 2007

How about researching the god/goddess/titan for whom the planet was named, and why?

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 9, 2007

A friend of mine does a planets unit and she has the kids create a travel brochure as if they are travel agents trying to get people to come to the planet.

"Come play on Saturn's Rings"
    "Be awed by the many moons of Jupiter"
    "Hike the Olympus Mons of Mars"

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 9, 2007

I've had kids write letters home from the planets they are on. They must include descriptions of their environments. They were very good - and hysterical.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 12, 2007

My students have made a travel book that fits together with information on each of the planets (particularly the "gas giants") and space-related terms. :)

8. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Nov 13, 2007

Thanks for all the ideas. I was thinking a travel brochure could be fun, but I do something similar to that in SS at the end of the school year when we learn all 50 states. A letter home from their state is a cute idea. I may work on a template/rubric for that assignment. Thanks again! :)

9. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Nov 13, 2007

there is a great picture book that would fit with your lesson called Postcards from Pluto by Loreen Leedy. It is very creative and funny. My students loved it.