Planet Art Help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Miss Kirby, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 3, 2008

We are in the midst of a unit on our solar system. The kids chose a favorite planet yesterday and started writing Planet Reports. Last year I had the kids do marble painting of their planet. It turned out neat, the kids liked it. I had to do it in small groups and gave the rest of the class busy work. It took a long time to get everyone done. The teacher next to me did paper mache (sp?). I think that would be too difficult with my class... and I have seven more kids than I had this time last year, so I don't know if I could even do the marble painting in small groups.

What is another planet art idea for kids to do that's fun but something they can do independently?

I was thinking about crayon resist but I tried it and it didn't turn out very nice. Either the paint looked gray, or it was too dark and covered it.

I have tepra paints and water colors too (we haven't used those yet this year).

Thanks.

3. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Apr 5, 2008

using craypas or crayons on black paper turns out really neat. my students enjoyed drawing the plantets this way last year.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 5, 2008

A teacher in our school did amazing planet art. He took styrofoam meat trays and cut out various sized circles. Using metallic paints, they painted on the circles and then pressed them onto black paper. I think he may have splattered gold paint over them for stars as well, but can't remember.

It was the metallic that made the difference. They were so gorgeous.

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 5, 2008

I did this Friday. I ended up just having them paint with watercolors on white paper. Then they cut them out, glued the planet to the right side of the large piece of black construction paper and their reports to the left side. They turned out cute!

6. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Apr 5, 2008

My students made collages on black paper.

[​IMG]

I had several students who don't feel "artsy" do very well since I had a bunch of cans to trace for circles and they could tear or cut out the rest of the things.