Plan "B". Please help!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by RisingFromAshes, Jul 16, 2014.

1. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 18, 2014

BTSA = Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment

Most teachers with their initial (preliminary) credential need to go through a two year program (called by some "induction") that provides a mentor and is meant to encourage growth through reflection by the new teacher. Completing BTSA leads to a clear credential, which is renewable every 5 years for a fee, but no more hoops.

Some private, parochial and charters do not offer a BTSA program, so people have to pay to do it with a university. Most (all?) public school districts have a process in place which allows their new teachers to complete BTSA.

One problem with the very tough job market CA has had for the last several years, is some people with preliminary credentials were running out of time to complete BTSA. You have five years to finish it, and it is hard to manage without having a teaching job.

2. RisingFromAshes

RisingFromAshes Rookie

Jul 19, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to break it down for me. It sounds a bit complicated, but every state has its special hoops to jump through. I mentioned California to my husband and his eyes lit up. He says he'd rather go west than south. I know the east coast is pretty much out, as most have hiring freezes or oodles of teachers that have been waiting YEARS for even an interview.

Las Vegas was also mentioned. I looked at the DOE website for Nevada, but for out of state candidates it basically said testing MAY be waived, submit your stuff and find out. I'm not sure if Nevada has a system similar to California or any other special requirements.
    Is Las Vegas the only city in the county that has a lot of openings?

3. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jul 19, 2014

I will tell you what I know about California. I transferred my license from another state and they did accept my tests and grant a clear credential, but that is because I had more than two years of experience and a TESOL masters. I am in orange county and it is extremely expensive (what I'd think of as a "regular" house is 5-600k and rent is around 2k). With prop 30 and new funding formula, things are looking a lot better. Since 5 years ago when I moved here there hasn't been any public school to apply for (literally none), this year there has been quite a lot, I even got a Job. What I heard from a couple admins I interviewed with was 500-700 applications. Some jobs are only posted one day (even just Sunday). Check out edjoin to see. I talked with one young applicant who said she moved up north for a couple years to get experience, but wasn't able to clear her credential because they had too many new teachers. I believe there is some way to get an extension. Once you have the clear you just pay online for five more years.

4. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jul 19, 2014