Plan "B". Please help!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by RisingFromAshes, Jul 16, 2014.

1. RisingFromAshes

RisingFromAshes Rookie

Jul 16, 2014

I currently live in Michigan where there are sometimes over a thousand applicants for each position, so I've been told by many that I should also apply out of state as a Plan "B". I'm trying to find 3 additional states in which to pursue certification for the 2015 school year. I'd greatly appreciate any info on the hiring/teacher climate in your state that you wish to share. Websites and DOE's can only tell you so much.

I know the mentality is to "put in my time" and sub some more and volunteer until I get enough experience and the right opportunity opens up here. Unfortunately, after teaching university (part time) for four years while hearing repeated promises of full time work, my family's finances are now at their breaking point. Full time out of state has to be better than part time + eviction in state.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2014

Are you looking for another university position?

4. MrsJay

MrsJay Rookie

Jul 16, 2014

This year they lowered class sizes in CA, which is why they hired lots of teachers. I know CA is far but every teacher I know that was looking for work, got hired this year. I don't know how it's going to be in the upcoming years though.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2014

Florida is always hiring.

6. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jul 16, 2014

From what I've heard on here, Vegas always needs teachers.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2014

Yep.

8. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jul 16, 2014

Here in Idaho there are four universities that each graduate hundreds of newly certified teachers twice a year. That is a lot of of new teachers for a relatively small state to absorb. There are more graduates looking for work than there are jobs, that is for sure.

I wouldn't call the job market impossible here, but it can be tough. Most teachers coming from out of state end up subbing. That is what I have been told by subs who came here already certified.
    Sheilah

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2014

If you are wanting to move sooner, look into NC. When I transferred my license from MI to NC, I only had to write a check. I didn't even apply until mid-August, a month after I was given a job. I started with no problems and my license was approved in either September or October.

10. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2014

Have you considered the Upper Peninsula? That is where I am getting all my interviews

11. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 16, 2014

There is certain areas where you could get hired tomorrow, whether you get certification or not. emergency licenses type of situation

So what I would do is look at states where it is easy to get licensed without living in the state if your going that route.

12. RisingFromAshes

RisingFromAshes Rookie

Jul 17, 2014

No, that ship has sailed. . . and sunk. I'm finishing up my K-12 cert in English lit. and ESL. Should be done next April.

13. RisingFromAshes

RisingFromAshes Rookie

Jul 17, 2014

Wow really? California is probably the only state I could suggest moving to without my husband kicking up a fuss. I always thought that the market was really rough there. If it's getting better then I would definitely consider making a try for it. Even though I heard getting and maintaining a CLEAR credential is like tackling a Rubik's cube.

14. RisingFromAshes

RisingFromAshes Rookie

Jul 17, 2014

My original cert. will actually be from Florida, so that's great to know. (I was originally planning to move there with extended family, but the situation has changed). I will make sure to apply there as well. I was a bit hesitant after I read a lot about the lack of teacher's unions and merit pay. Seems like the teachers there aren't greatly appreciated and I know that has to be frustrating, but I don't have the luxury of being picky.

So:

Florida: yes
    Michigan: Plan A but not holding my breath since I can't even manage to get an interview for teacher's aide or Parapro positions.
    California: Strong maybe. Have to check out the hiring climate more and discover just how many flaming hoops they will expect me to jump through. Hopefully it will get the green light.
    North Carolina: Will check, but husband will probably veto.
    Nevada: Hot, but doable. Will look up more info.

Keep the recs coming. You guys are wonderful.

15. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 17, 2014

I'm also in CA, and my impression is not quite as optimistic as MrsJay's. We did pass prop 30 recently which seems to have led to a substantially better job market. However, the state recently notified districts they need to increase contributions to the teacher's retirement fund, by a huge amount. I don't know if this will stand, but if it does it will eat up a lot of funding.

The issue with transferring your credential, I think, is mostly with our requirement that all teachers have their ELA (english learner authorization) or something equivalent. Clearing is not bad, once you have a job, most districts have a BTSA program.

16. RisingFromAshes

RisingFromAshes Rookie

Jul 18, 2014

Thank you so much for the info! I wonder just how big of an effect prop 30 will have. My friend told me that so many teachers that she knows are unemployed, but I haven't checked in with her in a while.

I have a master's degree in teaching English to speakers of other languages. (I currently teach English to international students at a university) I hope that would help qualify me for the English learner authorization. I was more worried that since everyone in the state has it that it would actually make me less competitive.

Also could you tell me about BTSA? K-12 has so many acronyms and I'm just beginning to understand them all.

17. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 18, 2014

BTSA = Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment

Most teachers with their initial (preliminary) credential need to go through a two year program (called by some "induction") that provides a mentor and is meant to encourage growth through reflection by the new teacher. Completing BTSA leads to a clear credential, which is renewable every 5 years for a fee, but no more hoops.

Some private, parochial and charters do not offer a BTSA program, so people have to pay to do it with a university. Most (all?) public school districts have a process in place which allows their new teachers to complete BTSA.

One problem with the very tough job market CA has had for the last several years, is some people with preliminary credentials were running out of time to complete BTSA. You have five years to finish it, and it is hard to manage without having a teaching job.

18. RisingFromAshes

RisingFromAshes Rookie

Jul 19, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to break it down for me. It sounds a bit complicated, but every state has its special hoops to jump through. I mentioned California to my husband and his eyes lit up. He says he'd rather go west than south. I know the east coast is pretty much out, as most have hiring freezes or oodles of teachers that have been waiting YEARS for even an interview.

Las Vegas was also mentioned. I looked at the DOE website for Nevada, but for out of state candidates it basically said testing MAY be waived, submit your stuff and find out. I'm not sure if Nevada has a system similar to California or any other special requirements.
    Is Las Vegas the only city in the county that has a lot of openings?

19. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jul 19, 2014

I will tell you what I know about California. I transferred my license from another state and they did accept my tests and grant a clear credential, but that is because I had more than two years of experience and a TESOL masters. I am in orange county and it is extremely expensive (what I'd think of as a "regular" house is 5-600k and rent is around 2k). With prop 30 and new funding formula, things are looking a lot better. Since 5 years ago when I moved here there hasn't been any public school to apply for (literally none), this year there has been quite a lot, I even got a Job. What I heard from a couple admins I interviewed with was 500-700 applications. Some jobs are only posted one day (even just Sunday). Check out edjoin to see. I talked with one young applicant who said she moved up north for a couple years to get experience, but wasn't able to clear her credential because they had too many new teachers. I believe there is some way to get an extension. Once you have the clear you just pay online for five more years.

20. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jul 19, 2014