Plagiarism... funny stuff.

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Caesar753, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2008

We have a chat forum on our school email address. One of the teachers just posted this. There's no identifying student information or anything, so I'm going to copy/paste the whole thing here.

Please to enjoy!

Ok, so the kids watched a video on the human genome project. They took notes and did research and turned in their papers today. As I am going through, I am hitting stuff like this. What you are about to read are the first and last paragraphs of the same paper!

"Eric Lander is one of a scientist working on a genome project. DNA can tell you more than can imagine, DNA can tell you that if you have cancer or something is wrong with you. Eric Lander said theirs more to discover." (sic whole thing)

"Continued investment in current and new databases and analytical tools is critical to the success of the Human Genome Project and to the future usefulness of the data. Databases must be structured to adapt to the evolving needs of the scientific community and allow queries to be answered easily. Planners suggest developing a human genome database analogous to model organism databases with links to phenotypic information."

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 26, 2008

I probably will be able to post some stellar paragraphs like this on Friday. My geography classes are writing papers this week on a problem or issue in Russia. I am sure that I will see the same information over and over again. I am also sure, despite the fact that I said it over and over again until my face turned blue, my students will begin their papers with "I would like to tell you about a serious problem Russia is facing" or "would you like to know the biggest problem that Russia has?" If you hear some type of sonic boom this weekend, it will be the results of my primal scream :)

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2008

Cassie, that is funny stuff!

INteacher, I'll prepare myself! I can't wait to get into the classroom and start reading some student papers.

5. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Feb 26, 2008

Well, I sure hope they plagarized the 2nd paragraph and not the 1st!! Because that 1st paragraph is pretty bad!!

6. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2008

The first paragraph is "teenage style" (ugh). (instant message and text messaging style)
    We have students who will write "B 4" instead of "before" and argue with the LA teacher that it is correct!

7. smalltowngal

Feb 26, 2008

That's sad, Dave. Texting is going to ruin the way students write.

8. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Feb 26, 2008

phenotypic information

So if you put that phrase on a test and give all kinds of crazy options and one choice of the right answer......would he get it right?????

OMG that is so funny, and so very obvious. Sometimes I think teenagers think we are stupid or blind or something.

:lol: Love it too funny! :toofunny:

9. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2008

The second paragraph came from the following web page Last paragraph of the section "Bioinformatics and Computational Biology" Near the bottom of the page.
    http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/hg5yp/hlight.shtml

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2008

How did I do it?
    I googled (Advanced Search) " Human Genome Project and to the future usefulness of the data." and got a hit on right away! only took 0.11 seconds

11. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Feb 26, 2008

I tell my students to not bother to plagerize because I always know. I either figure it out on the spot by reading it and noticing patterns of speech or I google it. They always try, and they always fail. :lol:

Sometimes you just gotta google it!

12. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2008

As if they needed any help in that area.;)

13. smalltowngal

Feb 27, 2008

Your right, cheery! And that's a real shame.

14. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Mar 3, 2008

I know! I caught so many of my students last semester...more than once! You'd think they'd get the idea that I google questionable sentences after the FIRST time they got caught! Goodness, I read enough of their writing, I know when it's not theirs! They could at least have the courtesy to change some words to make it more difficult :lol:

15. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Mar 5, 2008

I hate text messaging style!! We have kids who write 'idk' for answers. One of our teachers has started putting a disclaimer at the top of his tests. If the students write 'idk', they will automatically lose a certain amount of points. So, obviously they lose points for not knowing the answer, then they lose extra points for writing 'idk.'

16. iSaint

iSaint Rookie

Mar 5, 2008

As if plagiarism wasn't enough, I had two separate students tell me (in their respective papers) that Harper Lee had written several books in addition to To Kill a Mockingbird. They even gave me the titles. I told the classes that this was big news, and that we would probably get some huge monetary reward for discovering this!

For all you Math and Science teachers, she only wrote the one :p

17. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 7, 2008

Okay - I guess I would have been happy to just deal with all the personal pronouns. Instead, I had to write up 10 kids for plagiarizing :( I get so offended that my students don't think I actually read their assignments or they think I am so stupid I won't know that they copied a website onto a word document with the links still underlined. UGGHHHHH The best part is that our policy on plagiarism is that I have to call home - 4 students were honor students and the parents wanted to see my proof :mad:

One student did come afterschool to tell me how sorry he was and I acutally think he meant it.

18. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2008

Do the search right in front of them
    Better yet, let them do the search!

19. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2008

I have had a lot of plagerism lately, and I tell the students I always know. Yet they keep doing it. So I read a sentence that doesn't look quite right in front of them and ask them to tell me what it means. Ha, they never can, and at that point they admit to the cheating. If I take credit for the work, I grade on what part is theirs and ignore the product as a whole (say it was a five paragraph paper, they copied three and a half. I grade the one and a half that is left) That drives them nuts. Next time I get something from them it is better. Oh, if I catch someone copying a homework assignment in my class I stop teaching and tell them that cheating isn't allowed. They are getting credit for how well they know the material not how well they copy the material. Yeah its embarrasing for the student, but they rarely try it again.

20. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Mar 8, 2008

Lol. I don't think that they think that we're stupid. I think they just think that they're THAT good. But in all honesty, they're attempts at cheating are generally ridiculous and blatantly obvious. In the words of one of my mentor teachers "Baby, don't take it personal. These poor babies don't even know enough to know that their game is lame." :lol: