Places you thought you'd never apply to...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nasimi77, Apr 18, 2009.

1. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Apr 18, 2009

but in this economy, why not? I'm not saying I'm above working in these places....noooo sirry! However, as a credentialed teacher who has paid her dues, never really thought I'd be checking out jobs I ran to when I was in high school. however, out here in Cali anyhow, the economy is so awful I'm just checkin out everything right now!!! However, even these jobs are tough because the competition these days!!! Here's a list of places I've checked out recently:

~Petco
    ~Trader Joe's
    ~In & Out
    ~Starbucks
    ~Costco
    ~local coffee shops
    ~24Hr Fitness

I feel like I'm 18 again. If only I LOOKED it!:lol:

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 18, 2009

I would love to work at Trader Joe's! I wonder if they give employee discounts :lol:

4. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Apr 18, 2009

I know, Trader Joe's rocks! The ones around here aren't even hiring right now. I believe they do get some type of discount. I'd be recycling my paycheck all of the time if I worked there!:D

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 18, 2009

Well, the closest one to me is about an hour away. It would COST me to work there since I'd be shopping a lot too LOL

6. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Apr 18, 2009

Oh bummer TecherNY. I bet you shop there when your in the neighborhood! If I ever relocate I want to make sure that there's hopefully a TJ's nearby! ;)

7. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Apr 18, 2009

I've worked at those kinds of jobs after college several times over. Best Buy, Lowes, they all offer very little pay but you're required to do a lot, especially at Lowes. Jobs like lifting things, going to the back to unload a truck maybe twice a week that can take three hours, putting up items from trucks that could take two or three hours.

I'd probably go with 24 Hour Fitness. I go there to work out just about every day.

8. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Apr 18, 2009

Me too!:thumb:

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2009

I've applied to every rest. in our town. No bites yet.

10. suggestible

suggestible Rookie

Apr 19, 2009

Trader Joe's actually pays really well, at least in California. I hear they start around 40, and get full health benefits to full-time employees. Though that may just be an urban legend among dissatisfied print newspaper employees.

11. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Apr 19, 2009

Hmmm. That may be an urban legend. Perhaps for managerial work, but for a store clerk I believe the starting pay is 10 bucks an hour...and most clerks now rarely get even 40 hrs a week. Jobs are pretty hard to come by out here right now.

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 19, 2009

I have been applying to every social service agency. I do have my preferences, but just getting my foot in the door would be satisfactory at this point.

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2009

When I was doing the 2nd job search, I thought about staying at Penneys as an associate if I didn't find one. Then I called out of Penneys one day to go to a job fair abour an hour and 15 mins away. It was an inner city school, which is out of my comfort zone a bit. I wound up not taking the pre-school position and I'm glad because they laid off quite a bit of tenured teachers this year.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 20, 2009

When I couldn't pay the bills as a substitute (my husband's grad school grant was yanked), I was a secretary for a company that turned my stomach. It was terribly organized and played favorites with certain employees. We won't even get into the language some people used while I was trying to answer the phones. Sometimes you have to do annoying jobs to get by, but it sounds like the places where you are looking are MUCH nicer.

15. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Apr 20, 2009

Gosh, I've sure had my share of those kinds of jobs catnfiddle. The problem is, all of these great places are being inundated with applicants. Most seem to prefer hiring the youngin's out of high school or early college aged....not a 41 year old teacher.:unsure: So, i'm not having much luck as of yet. I still have my subbing, but I'm in the same boat you were in, the subbing isn't paying the bills. I've been surviving on doing little odd jobs here and there for folks, like house sitting, dog sitting, cleaning, etc. I would be thrilled to get even something part time right now. I know I can't give up, but sometimes it gets exhausting.

16. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2009

I was so happy when I was able to get my part-time job in a grocery store after I moved back home, because it is so hard to even get part-time jobs now and they started me back at my old wage. It's unbelievable how hard it is to even find find part-time jobs now that last year they were having trouble filling.

17. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Apr 20, 2009

Amen to that! I want to pull my hair out when some people tell me, "oh just get a part time job at [fill in the blank]." It's bothersome to see how bad our economy is. I will be glad to get anything right now...and I know eventually I will get SOMETHING besides just subbing.:crosseyed

18. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 20, 2009

I live in a big city. The local newspaper used to have 4 pages of help wanted, and another 4 of special jobs. Now, we are lucky if 2 pages are printed including all the special jobs.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 21, 2009

The decline in print help-wanted ads is also a fact about technology, of course.

20. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 21, 2009

I have a part-time job with a large grocery store chain... along the lines of an Albertson's/Publix. I always thought of the possibility of working for them as... my LAST choice. When my elderly father (who is NEVER supportive) suggested that i get a job as a cashier - this was while i was in the midsts of college (gee thanks, dad-nothing like being a cheerleader for me!)...I thought... if I ever worked there, it's because I have given up all hope. So it took a LOT for me to fill out an application on-line. (In fact, I remember that depressing night. I HAD given up hope.) ... But now I work there. And it's not SO bad.

I do have to say... and this is a side of me that I HATE HATE HATE... that I, from time to time, need to give myself a kick in the rear when I (inwardly) look down on my co-workers. I am (gosh this will sound SO arrogant - and that's not me) .. smarter than them. I have more...promise.

Last week, I was given a promotion. Whoopie! I graduated from bagger to cashier. it was a three day training session ending with a Saturday morning cashier-premiere. And one of these co-workers said... "Man! You are REALLY GOOD at this...it's like you have done this for years!" (Well, it's a lot to remember-but compared to graduate school???? Be serious!)

All that said... you know what? THIS is a job- even WITH a teaching job that I PRAY is in my future- that i will KEEP! They offer health insurance (even for part-timers) after one year...and YES, I could see myself here until I retire...actually beyond-as long as they'll have me.

21. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 21, 2009

I remember subbing for my daughter when it was her turn to assist at her son's preschool cooperative. At the end of the day, the teacher told me I sure was good, and she had never had a parent who could talk to the children like I could. I told her it must be my BS in ECE.

22. smalltowngal

Apr 22, 2009

Well I went to another rest. today. This one seemed excited with my experience in waitressing. The manager told me to come back tomorrow to talk to her general manager. It seems like a really great place to work. We'll see how tomorrow goes, and this is a great job until a teaching jobs comes up.

23. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Apr 22, 2009

Cool STG! I hope you get it!:thumb:

24. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2009

Good luck, STG! It sounds promising!

25. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Apr 22, 2009

I hear you McKennal. I was a cashier in a grocery a few years back...caught on real quick. Sometimes I found myself feeling "above"everyone else there, and that is soooooooooooooo not me either! Let's face it, it's tough when you pay your dues and find yourself working in those types of jobs. But ya know what? I'm so over it. If anything, these tough times have personally taught me to be grateful for the little things I do have...and to open my eyes and see all the things I never noticed before.:rolleyes: Not to mention how resourceful, frugal, creative, and savvy i've become while learning to dice up a penny ten different ways. :haha: And yes, a Job is a Job is a JOB!:thumb:

26. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 22, 2009

STG!

Here's hoping for good news!

Waitress = Fast Cash in your pocket!

That's why I always liked waitressing.

27. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Apr 22, 2009

NO! When I couldn't find a job I worked at Trader Joe's for a month.
    All that captain, o captain stuff drove me so insane I almost committed mutiny in the produce section.
    I found it as depressing as the story of the Titanic.

28. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 22, 2009

Oh my gosh...Story...

I'd try to be brief (tough for me) but this is TOO good!

A few years ago---looking for a part time job to pay for college text books- and one that would be related to teaching... Where to work????

AH! There is a Lakeshore Learning Store near me. I'll work THERE!

With my background and ambition - I Got the job EASILY!
    After only two months... either i would hang myself or one of them!

1- They were NUTS (!!!!!!) about keeping the shelves stocked! Well- they WERE stocked..in fact PACKED. The ONLY way to stock anymore was to follow the infrequent shoppers around and throw something into the hole the SECOND they picked something up. After walking around the store once- you should have been through. But you were told "Oh my word! We need to STOCK!!!" Where? (Out of a 5 hour shift... you were bored to tears for 4 hours and 50 minutes) .. See this picture?
    YOU try find room to stock! (BTW: Notice the smile and keep that in mind!)

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/general_content/store_locations/storeLocations.jsp?f=m

2- I was given the orientation which included being shown the parking lot (this parking lot held... 500 cars perhaps and was 99% empty... but.. I was told I MUST park over on this last line of cars to leave room for the customers!) I nearly bit my lip off trying not to laugh...but this girl was SERIOUS!

3- The cash register ritual was VERY complicated. With a college degree I STILL couldn't remember it...but that was ok because I never was allowed to be on it.

4- SMILE!!!!! I am smiling. SMILE MORE!!!!! We look like idiots.
    We had to be as happy as the manager... and she was like Big Bird on crack.

5- We were told to pounce on the customer (greet within no less than 5 seconds for them coming in the door!)...stick with them as they shopped...and constantly be "selling UP!" (Suggesting they buy more.) The three things I HATE when I go into a store (LEAVE ME ALONE OR I"LL LEAVE!)
    We were to push them to buy things like crayons at $3.50 a box when at the other side of the parking lot is a Wal-mart where they could buy them for $.99. Why would they want to do this? Because we stand behind our products and we offer service with a smile! (Where's the trash can- I'm gonna be sick.)

6- I thanked GOD when it was time to clean the bathroom each night! It was the only time I was allowed NOT to smile, was given something to do that had ANY purpose, and no-one bothered me. And when scrubbing a toilet is the most fun you have at a job... it's time to quit.

7- One of the jobs the manager had to do at the end of the night is to call in the daily total to the regional chief... we were neck and neck with the top selling store in Texas. Then we needed to hear the manager gush even more - basically about ripping off people - and then chime that we are beating DALLAS!!!!! - Which made her normal BB on crack persona pale in comparison!

8- After the doors closed... we had to clean and stock. As if we hadn't cleaned and stocked- and FINISHED that job 4 1/2 hours ago. We had to clean for a full hour and a half! Never a minute earlier. And you needed to look BUSY!
    Then i find out that... the opening manager and morning crew have to be there and hour and a half early to clean up and re-stock eveything the night crew didn't get to. :beatdeadhorse: What in the world did they DO?

9- I went in to buy something once...and the same manager who was screaming for all of us to SMILE looks and sees it's an employee as a customer and says (with a smirk)... "OH...it's you." Gee, Thanks.
    My order came up to only about $6.00 (I think I needed those rings for putting laminated pages together in a classroom book.) and she yells at me for ONLY buying that much! "DANG IT, MCKENNA!!!! You are going to bring our Price Point Per Purchase DOWN!!!!! So help me, if we can't beat Dallas today...Oooooooooo:mad:" Are you *blanking* kidding me?
    But it gets better! She rings me up and I say... don't I get the employee discount? "No." Why not? "You have to work here X months to get that." Seriously? Ok then give me the everyday customer club discount. "No, you don't qualify. You are an employee." So I am paying more for these stupid rings than I would at ANY OTHER STORE in a 6 county region AND more than any stranger who walks in the door because I have only worked here a few weeks? "Yes. That'll be $6.00" :banghead:

10- OH, I should mention that IF you worked there THROUGH the big summer rush...you got a $300.00 bonus... EVERYONE at the store got one. That's quite the incentive! I started work in April...so what would it take to stay until the end of August to get $300?
    But by June I felt I would commit harakiri by use of an extra large kindergarten pencil.. so on a beautiful Sunday afternoon (months short of being honored with an employee discount) I called to tell them I wouldn't be in again.....ever.

Oh...forgot one last thing...

11- While I was there one of the managers ( the "oh, it's you!" one) had her birthday. The BB on crack one was planning a celebration! We had to hang balloons around the store, and write notes in all different types of handwriting announcing it was her birthday and what a GREAT gal she was! On top of which (giggle! shake with excitement!) we would put a Happy Birthday song on a loop that would greet her as she unlocked the store.
    I thought...ok, I'll go with the program...unTIL we locked up and I noticed that... they left ALL the lights on in the store ALL night (they did this EVERY NIGHT!)...and this music wouldn't just GREET her... it would be blaring ALL NIGHT LONG!

AH... NOW I figured out why we needed to sell crayons at $3.50 a box. To pay the electric bill.

29. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 22, 2009

I would love to work at a Teacher supply store. There is only one near me but I keep going by there to see if they have a Help Wanted sign up.

30. robinsky

robinsky Rookie

Apr 22, 2009

To McKennaL: That is an awesome and hysterical story. Are you sure you shouldn't be a writer instead of a teacher?

31. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 23, 2009

McKenna - I'm really, really sorry about that job, but that was frickin' hysterical!!!!! :rofl:

32. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 23, 2009

i SWEAR it was a pyscho ward!

My dear friend was like... "PLEEEASE don't quit! I need the laughes!"

Late at night.. cleaning... I would be the vaccuum person. I'd vaccuum all those beautiful rugs that everyone wants in their classrooms. But I would take the vaccuum with the bum wheel so it would purposefully take me longer. Allowing me a chance to stop smiling, I would instead shove this vaccuum, grunt, and PRAY to find a lone piece of lint that would give my life purpose!

33. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Apr 23, 2009

McKenna, this is a great story.
    Have you ever considered writing a book based on what you've experienced while looking for a job as a teacher? Your stories are hilarious and well written.
    You could call it,"I'm Smiling as Widely as I Can!"

34. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Apr 23, 2009

The smile part reminds me of the movie Office Space in which Jennifer Aniston's character is constantly being told by her boss that she doesn't have enough "flair" on.
    I wonder if they're still employing these idiotic practices?
    I wish you could print out your story and send it the general manager anonymously.

35. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Apr 23, 2009

I want to apply to every restaurant in town, and there are a ton where I'm living. I think all positions will be snapped up by college kids, though. :(

36. smalltowngal

Apr 23, 2009

Well, I talked to the general manager at the rest I applied to yesterday. He said he has to talk to someone else and to call him tomorrow. he acted like he really wanted to hire me.