places to cut money

Discussion in 'General Education' started by atomic, Mar 26, 2010.

1. atomic

atomic Companion

Mar 26, 2010

The current problems with money in my district got me thinking...

White Boards are a HUGE waste of money.

The markers are expensive...the cleaning sprays are expensive...the boards weren't cheap either.

I've got stains on my clothes that don't come out.

I have mini whiteboards for students...

If they wanted to save money, we could go back to using chalk.

79 cents a pack...the boards were cleaned with WATER...my hands were a little dryer, but I wash so much because of the killer swine flu, I don't think there is really any difference.

There is still dust from the markers. It's all over the place!

Not to mention the smell. I'm sure the chemicals can't be good and we'll all be sueing for one form of cancer or another in 20 years.

:confused:

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 26, 2010

I clean my white board with alcohol. That works just as great and a lot cheaper.

4. Grover

Grover Cohort

Mar 26, 2010

Eh, chalk is a health hazard too.

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 26, 2010

I had to have chalk boards removed from my room because of allergies. They would make me sick and have awful headaches.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2010

I LOVE chalk and a blackboard.

I know when I'm out of chalk, or almost out of chalk. It doesn't smell. It washes out of clothing.

Two of the classrooms I teach in have whiteboards, and 2 have blackboards.

Give the blackboards any day!

7. hatima

hatima Devotee

Mar 26, 2010

I can't be around the chalk boards...allergies. (even the so called low dust ones bother me) If I was at a school that didn't have one I'd buy my own and secure it in place. I do know someone who has an allergy problem with dry erase markers.

8. Rox

Rox Cohort

Mar 26, 2010

One thing I've done to reduce markerboard use is to use scratch paper. All those extra copies I make go into a basket, and when we need something to write/practice on, we use the paper and since I have TONS of markers, we haven't had to buy any. I work with a smaller class, so this works well for me.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2010

Markers, crayons and white boards are unfortunately PENNIES compared to what districts need to cut. The dollar$ lie in salaries and benefits.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2010

Sad, but true Czacza.

11. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Mar 26, 2010

I love chalkboards but last time I was teaching in a classroom with a chalkboard I started having horrible sinus problems. I guess my body can handle marker's chemicals better than chalk.

12. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Mar 26, 2010

I used to get little blisters on my fingers when I had a chalkboard. I guess my skin didn't like whatever chalk.

There are a lot of little things that would help with the budget concerns, though. The county is going to scrap an old mobile instead of selling it to someone I know who offered $5000 for it. They'll get about $50 for the metal instead.:dizzy:

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2010

I loved my old black chalkboard. I had all colors of chalk. It was a HUGE board. I washed it with water every day. I did sneeze from the dust, so I would be careful to not let my erasers get really dusty. The kids liked cleaning them for me.

When we moved to the new building, I got two huge magnetic whiteboards. I'm allergic to the markers, so I get hives when I use them. I have to write on my board with wax markers. I mainly used my overhead projector (with wax pencils) anyway.

I've had a SmartBoard for four years. I love it, too, but I still miss my old chalkboard.

14. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Mar 26, 2010

I wear hard contact lenses, and the chalk dust used to irritate them horribly. It used to be one of the kids' job to "clap the erasers" at the end of each day outside the classroom. That would send chalk dust everywhere. I'm glad to have a magnetic whiteboard in my classroom. It's so easy to quickly put charts and visuals up on the board with magnets. No more chalk dust.

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2010

The portable I moved into this year doesn't have a chalkboard or a white board. For most of the year we used a hand held white board if we needed to write something. Recently we received our document camera and smartboard so now that's what we use all the time.

16. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Mar 27, 2010

Whiteboards are already installed though. Removing them, and installing chalkboards... seems like that itself would be costly in its own right.

Now a SMARTboard... that's a WASTE.

17. hatima

hatima Devotee

Mar 28, 2010

I don't think a smartboard is a waste, if you know how to use it and get the students up and involved, both with computers and the board itself. I'd love to have a smartboard or Promethean board in my classroom.

18. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Mar 29, 2010

Well, once you have them, of course creative teachers (like yourself!) can use them all kinds of ways. I just think that its unneeded--unlike say whiteboards, a computer...

Personally, I do like the ELMO much better than the big SMARTboards though.

19. hatima

hatima Devotee

Mar 29, 2010

I didn't know what an ELMO was. I love using doc projectors and will take one any day over an overhead projector.

Sadly I have a lot of trouble using something as simple as an overhead projector and learned a doc projector very quickly.:rolleyes:

I think that until the economy starts working again smartboards are not the wisest choice. :(

As a side: I used a doc projector with zoom capability when teaching tessellations. I have an Escher book and zoomed in really close to continuing detail. The kids loved it.

20. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Mar 29, 2010

Um....I clean my whiteboard with water. It works fine.

21. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2010

My whiteboard is hardly ever written on. I have a tablet laptop that I write on using a projector. Two good things come from this 1) my back is NEVER to my students and 2) I have a record of everything taught and have used it several times when Johnny tells mom and dad that something was not taught.

22. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Mar 29, 2010

The majority of a district's budget comes from paying salaries and fringe benefits to employees. One of the few variable expenses that districts can control expenses on is paper use.

23. hatima

hatima Devotee

Mar 29, 2010

Great Point!