Placement for next year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MelissainGA, Apr 4, 2008.

1. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Apr 4, 2008

Just out of curiosity I was wondering how many people had gotten their placement for next year. We just had our "end of year evals" and got our room placements for next year as well as our grade level assignments.

I get to stay in 3rd grade :up: and I also don't have to move this year :2up: I am soooooo happy.
    In the 5 years I have been at my school here I have moved:
    twice the first year (switched positions due to increased student population),
    changed grade levels the next year (move number 3),
    my grade level was moved out to the mobile units the next year (move number 4),
    switched grade levels (looped with my students to get back into the building, move number 5)
    It's a wonderful feeling to know that I don't have to pack everything up and move it this time, Just get it organized for the maintenance crew to be able to clean.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2008

That's great! I know it takes a lot out of your summer having to move stuff around. I'm hoping to just get a classroom next year.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 5, 2008

I am going to be teaching this subject next year. I asked about a month ago and got told there was no way she was moving me. I love it, but I wasn't happy last year on the last day I was told I was moving. But I am so glad I did it.

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 5, 2008

I'm moving grade levels, but not classrooms! I taught second grade for half a year in one room and first grade for two years in two different rooms. I'm moving back to second grade, but I'm not moving classrooms! Yay! I'm going to be doing a lot of switching up in my room I think - change some things up for the kids that I'll have again. I'm so excited I don't have to switch classrooms! :)

6. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 5, 2008

I'm a noob, but I'll be the only 5th grade science teacher and since science classrooms have certain equipment and technology needed, I doubt I'll be moving around much. So I'll probably be okay for awhile--- the teacher I'm replacing has been in the position for 12 years and is retiring this year.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2008

I'll still be doing special ed, but it hasn't been determined yet in exactly what role. Our special ed staffing for next year will be half of what we have this year, so we need to spend a long time deciding how best to service our students. We don't know yet about room assignments; I'm hoping I don't have to move. Although my room is tiny and I don't love it, this is my third room in 2 years and I don't want to move again!

8. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Apr 5, 2008

I just had a conference with my principal yesterday. I'm staying in 1st for one more year (to have a total of 3 years in the grade) and then she is moving me to a testing grade next year. I'm excited about the move but am also happy to be with my first grade team for another year!

9. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Apr 5, 2008

My combo room will be split into 2 stand alone classrooms next year, so I will be teaching 2nd only, but I have to move to a different classroom that is ridiculously small. : ( So I don't only have to pack everything up and move, I have to try and fit it into a significantly smaller space.

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 5, 2008

I don't really know which class I will have until July. I am 99% sure I will have second grade, and am planning for that. BUT they could do some major shift and not tell me until later. If that is the case, I hope they let me keep my classroom.

The only thing that would be different is I could be moved to the next class up and loop with half my class again. I'll bet if that happens they have me move rooms, which I do not want to do. All the rooms in our building are the same, but the furniture stays. I lucked out with my furniture and don't want to get the stuff from the other classroom.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2008

My principal has said she won't move new teachers, and I am a first year teacher. So, I know I will be in the same room with the same grade level next year. However, this is my principal's 1st year at my school, so I have no idea who I'll be working with. I think there will be a lot of changes.

12. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Apr 5, 2008

I'm pretty lucky in my school. The admin doesn't move people around much. Once you are in a grade level you don't move unless you request it. I've been in my building for 15 years, so I won't have to move classrooms, either. The only thing I don't know is if I'll have my plan period 1st period or 9th period.

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2008

I get to stay in 3rd!!! Next year will be my 5th year in my school (6th overall in teaching). When I was hired at my current school, I taught 2nd. The next year, I semi-looped to 3rd (only kept about 6-7 kids from 2nd grade). Last year, I moved back to 2nd, and this year I semi-looped again to 3rd. I had been told last year that I would stay in 2nd forever, but when my principal found out she was being fired, she did everything she could to mess with people she didn't like. So I got moved again.

But my new principal told me at the beginning of the year during our "Getting to know you" meeting that if Nancy, another 3rd grade teacher, retired this year, I'd get to stay. So Nancy thankfully filed her paperwork and I'm in 3rd to stay:) The person who is hired for Nancy's position will take over as moving from 2nd to 3rd each year if our enrollment continues to have bubbles in numbers.

But I've been lucky...I've always stayed in the same room. I've just had to move out textbooks and all sorts of crap to switch.

14. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Apr 5, 2008

As of now, I'll have 5 sections of 8th grade English and 1 section of 8th grade reading improvement. WHOOHOO! NO MORE 6TH GRADERS!!! The counselor is pretty sure that my schedule won't change, since the incoming 8th grade class is the biggest we've had in several years. :up:

15. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 5, 2008

As of my meeting with my principal yesterday, I am staying in 4th grade (thank goodness--love my team!) We will be departmentalizing next year, so I will be teaching all the literacy. Of course, I'm not banking on this 100% as the last two years, I was told I would be moving to 5th, only to be called two weeks before school starts and told I was staying in 4th, but hopefully, there won't be any changes.

16. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 5, 2008

I will be staying in my grade and in my room unless kindergarten registration is drastically lower than expected. That is one of the woes of kindergarten sometimes, but it should be fine, it has gone up every year in every grade for my school and we accept a lot of transfers into the district as well. I am excited to stay in my room because I have a comfortable arrangement that works and because of my room size, I have a small class. However, my room is very small and I have to make room for more computers next year (I know you are all thinking that more computers is a great problem, but my room is super tiny!) and I am not sure what kind of tables I will get with them. If I get the trapezoid tables, I will be in OK shape, if they are rectangles it is going to be a real struggle to fit the tables, the rug, and the kids in the room :lol:

17. maroki

maroki Comrade

Apr 5, 2008

I know that I'll be teaching 1st grade again next year, although our configuration hasn't officially been announced. Our principal won't be returning to our school next year and has promised "lots of changes", but he has guaranteed me 1st grade next year so I'm feeling pretty secure and happy about that. He has mentioned making me move classrooms to be closer to the rest of the 1st grades, but I don't know if that will end up happening. Right now, I'm just happy to have 1st grade again!

18. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 5, 2008

I'll be teaching math...that's all I know. What grades and classes I still have no clue. I should find out in the next month or so, but maybe not.

19. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2008

We don't move grade levels unless you request it and only if there's an opening. I have to move rooms, but my "new" room has better cabinets.

We found out that we will have 6 sections of first, second and third and 4 kinders. We are a K-5 this year, but because our little town has grown so much, the 4th and 5th grades have to go to a school in the next little town (20 minutes away).

20. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Apr 6, 2008

I find out tomorrow. I'm really nervous - our district has cut ten positions from our school, our principal has said he thinks he can keep everyone who wants to stay, but we're anticipating a huge shuffle.

We sign a district contract, so no one would be out of job, just relocated to a new school.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2008

Not yet for us- School budget vote on April 15 and then the board knows what they are working with...We got notices on Friday- one classroom position is being cut due to student numbers, several maternity leave teachers will be returning so we will lose a few non-tenured...:(

22. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2008

My school just had a shake up. Instead of teaching ELA and Math, I'll just be teaching Math. I'll be in the same classroom, and hopefully working with the same team. Teams are supposed to stay together, but of course if someone wants to move or switch with another teacher it will be allowed.

23. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Apr 6, 2008

I am excited to be moving to high school (my choice) and I will be teaching at the same school as my husband (different subjects). It will be much more convenient since he is coaching and we spend so many weekend hours there anyway. I might as well be able to get in my own classroom and get some work done!

Good luck to everyone!

24. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Apr 6, 2008

I will continue to teach 5th grade Reading/Language Arts, but will no longer have to teach Social Studies since we are adding another 5th grade classroom.

We will have 5 classes of 5th grade because our numbers in 4th grade are high. 2 teachers will do a rotation together. One teacher will teach math and science and the other will do reading/language arts/social studies. In my rotation we will have 3 teachers. I will teach 3 rotations of reading/language arts, one teacher will teach science and the other will teach math/social studies.

25. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Apr 6, 2008

This is my first year, teaching and in the school district, not sure how all this works. From what I've been told in so many words, I'm same place/position/grade/subjects. The P said he'd try to get us when we have what before we leave for the summer-I do know we won't get class rosters til the day or two before school starts.
    He was supposed to have all evals done by the end of March-I know he's not done mine (formally) and another new teacher..and I think one who has been here a few years. He talks to me daily and still mentions "Next year try this..." as early as a week ago..so I just sit and wait to be evaluated and see where I am.

26. repete8

repete8 Companion

Apr 7, 2008

I do know that I will be changing classrooms due to new construction; however the real question is when do I get to move. Also, I am not sure about staying in Kindergarten. As of right now, we have 5 sections of K and those students will be moving in to 3 sections of first. Someone may have to move. I would be more than willing. :)

27. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 7, 2008

I am teaching the same as I am this year--2 chemistry and 3 physics. Nobody has their own classroom so we all move rooms every year. This year I am in 3 classrooms.

28. kburen

kburen Cohort

Apr 7, 2008

I'm not sure yet, and don't know when I will know....Hopefully soon (although we're not done with school until June 12). I put in a request to move up to 6th grade math (which would be in the middle school) but haven't heard anything back yet. I emailed the current principal who forwarded the message on to the principal next year (our county is going from 5 elem. 1 middle and 1 high to 5 elem., 1 middle, 1 jr. high, and 1 high so principals are moving around and all). My current principal hopes to hear something soon so that she knows who she needs to be looking to hire. If I stay here I'll either be in K or 1st, depending on K enrollment and no matter which grade I'm teaching I'll be moving classrooms to downstairs.

29. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Apr 7, 2008

Right now I have a year-to-year contract. It's a weird situation-I guess they didn't put my position out there, so I might not be able to keep it (even though they hired me for third grade, and they hired the other third grade teacher for 1st grade.) She gets to stay in third grade and I'm up in the air, because she was hired before me (about 3 weeks before) even though she was hired for a different grade.

I have to apply for 2nd grade, to make sure I have a job. Then, I have to wait until the week before school starts to find out if I get to teach 3rd grade, or if I have to teach 2nd. I teach on a military base, so they decide everything last second since enrollment changes so much. It will only be my 2nd year, so I really want to stay in the same grade. I hate having to wait til the last second!