Place Value

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mstnteacherlady, Aug 23, 2009.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Aug 23, 2009

What are some activities you use when teaching / reteaching place value? I've got a few hands-on type activities that we've used so far, but I need to add some more ideas / activities to my file. I'd like to hear about some ways that different people attack place value in their own classrooms. TIA.

3. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Aug 23, 2009

I'm working on this too. We play a chip trading game but even that is looking like it's going to be too ahead of some of my kids this year. I'll be looking for ideas also.

When I student taught 3rd grade I make so me file folder board games. I just opened up two folders and glued them together so that there were 3 "areas". Each area was labeled, the land of hundreds, the land of tens, the land of ones (we only had to do place value to 100-if you needed more places you could just add more folders).

I used colored dots to make a path across the board. Students drew a card (all cards had 3 digts). And moved according to the digit in the place value land they were in (ex. if the card was 308 and they were in land of hundreds they moved 3 spaces, stayed where the were if they were in the center board and moved 8 spaces if they were in the land of ones)

I might modify the game (we have to go to 1,000) and try it with my math small groups.

4. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 23, 2009

Ohhh...You need to check out Kim Sutton! Her website is www.creativemathematics.com. I just attended a four day workshop with her and it was outstanding!!! She has fabulous place value activities. I'll list the ones I do and love!!!

Place Value Aerobics: Students have cards that have numbers on them. Example: 0-9, 00-90, 000-900, 0000-9000, etc. Each number has their own card. Example, you have10, 20, 30, 40, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, or 1000, 2000, 3000, etc. You call out a number such as 9832 and the students with 9000, 800, 30, and 2 run up to the front and put them together to make "Standard Notation". You can then say "Expanded Notation" and have them expand out.

Place Value Pocket Chart: Each student needs their own chart. She has her own version of this, but I'll tell you how you could make it. Fold a piece of 9x12 construction paper in half like a hot dog. Don't unfold. Fold again in half like a hamburger and again to create four sections. Unfold the small folds that you made when you did the hamburger fold, but don't unfold the first fold. Staple on the fold lines and on the ends to create four pockets. Make two sets of number cards 0-9 on index cards (you will need to trim them) and put them inside the folds. The numbers should show if you place them on the top half of the cards. Call out a number and have students make the number. You can also do "Place Value Clues" to have students make numbers.

Place Value Top-it: (From Everyday Math) You'll need to build a place value mat. A place value mat is a piece of construction paper with sections divided out (Fold like you did above with the place value pocket chart, but unfold completely and DON'T staple. Label the sections, ones, tens, hundreds, thousands. You could put more folds into it to make more sections to get to larger place values). One section is for the ones place, tens place, hundred's place, thousand's place, etc. You'll need two sections (parallel to each other so that students can play together and compare the numbers). Students have a deck of cards 0-9 (EDM has 0-9 cards, 4 of each. You can make these using index cards or a regular deck of cards and substitute for 0, and 1). Students play in pairs. Shuffle the deck of cards and place them face down. Take turns drawing a card and placing it on the "place value" mat anywhere they want. The goal is to build the largest number. Students learn to place 0,1,2 in the ones place while they place the bigger numbers in the hundreds and thousands place. When all the spaces are full they take turns reading their number out loud and then determine who has the biggest number. They can write their numbers down, keep track of the winner, etc. It's up to you.

Place Value Blocks: Kim says that the first part of place value is for kids to be able to manipulate and see the ones, tens, etc. You can buy place value blocks (which are expensive) or you can make them using the plastic mesh sheets. Here is a website to show you what I'm talking about.

http://www.darice.com/ecom/ProductDetails.aspx?it=33018&oid=12803

Cut them apart accordingly to make 1's, 10's, 100's, etc.

In her class, she told us students must spend 10-14 weeks on place value! Wow...I think I fell out of my chair. She also said once you are done teaching place value, you must continue 3-4 times a week with a quick review. I strongly recommend buying her place value book. It is absolutely worth every penny and is amazing! This is the second workshop I've attended and her workshops are also amazing! Our district has gone crazy with her stuff and it works!

5. tgim

tgim Habitué

Aug 23, 2009

Wow - I can't wait to try some of these out!!

6. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 23, 2009

I played a fun game where I would give every student a number or a comma (you can even add a decimal point) and then I said I wanted to see the number 243,950 and the kids with the corresponding numbers & commas had to get up and put themselves in order.

They LOVED it.

Or you can reverse it and have the kids put themselves in whatever order they want (with commas in correct places) and have another student say the number correctly.

7. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Aug 23, 2009

we had a parent last year make individual base 10 sets for us out of plastic canvas (just flats). They are great for the overhead (I can fit many on).

She cut out flats, rods and singles just like a regular base ten set.

8. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Aug 23, 2009

Wow! There are some great ideas here! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to try some of these!

9. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 24, 2009

Fabulous. Thank you for this idea!

I love the idea of the plastic canvas! This site is so wonderful for sharing ideas.