Place Value

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by ericamarie, Sep 8, 2007.

1. ericamarie

ericamarie Rookie

Sep 8, 2007

Does anyone have any good activities to introduce place value. I don't want to just have them make their own place value chart or something like that. I'd really like to find something a little more engaging.

3. prek176

prek176 Companion

Sep 9, 2007

I got an idea out of my Mailbox magazine and the kids love it. I think it was called Put It in It's Place. On one side of a piece of paper you put 7 lines with commas in the correct place. On the other side you put 3 lines for a Throwaway pile. Each child rolls the die 10 times and places the numbers on the lines. I had the kids try to compete against each other to see who could make the biggest number, later we also tried to make the smallest number. I actually did this as a whole class activity. The children had to determine the highest number for their group and put it on the board. After figuring out the highest number for the entire class we read the number out loud. It was a great way to practice place value. This made a really easy file folder game as well.

4. collteach

collteach Comrade

Sep 9, 2007

Hopefully they are VERY familiar with place value by the time they get to 4th grade, so you should just have to introduce the higher places, review, etc.

I found a game idea while searching the internet a few years ago. It is basically giving students number cards, dividing them into teams and saying a number (you can say it in standard form, expanded form, and show them word form to mix it all up a bit). The first team to get it correct gets a point. Obviously you might want to start with small number and work your way up as you introduce the higher places. I split my class into 4 teams last year because I had a larger class (30) and had 2 scorekeepers. I found it was a great way to assess what they already knew at the beginning of the unit (most were able to correctly make numbers in the millions while collaborating as a group). We also used it for review at the end.

I have also used card/dice games where children work in small groups to create the largest or smallest number of their group. They get practice reading their numbers as well, and I have had them write the numbers in the various forms during this game as well.

You will probably have to have them make a place value chart at some point, but you can use these various games and any others that you find to practice and review. I find that I don't have to spend a lot of time on place value because our kids seem to have such a solid base coming in since they start working with it in Kindergarten when keeping track of how many days we have been in school, money, etc.

5. ericamarie

ericamarie Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

I gave my kids a pretest on place value and they didn't do too hot so I'm going to have to start pretty basic. I really like the suggestions you gave so I'll hopefully be able to work my way up to those. Thanks so much!

6. bina1357

bina1357 Companion

Sep 9, 2007

place value centers

Hi

I'm also teaching place value. I'm basically following the book, plus I'm pulling out my base 10 blocks. My kids have to be able to write a number in standard form, word form, & expanded notation. I did a google search for place value games & found a few online games.

Anyone have any other good ideas for centers that kids can do at their seat?

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 10, 2007

I did a paper plate relay game today.I made two sets of numbers, 0-9, on paper plates and split the class into teams. Then I gave directions and each team had to make the number. Example: make the smallest 3-digit even number; make the largest 6-digit number.