Pl. give me ideas to help my son focus in class so that he doesn't tune out...

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by thesub, Oct 18, 2011.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Oct 18, 2011

My 3rd grade son is a very well-behaved, sweet kid who does well in school and is well-liked. He is deaf but wears cochlear implants to help him hear and has low muscle tone; with all these limitations BUT with aide support, he's doing well.

However, DS loves to read 24/7 and the books get stuck in his head. So he day-dreams about Star Wars, Captain Underpants, Wimpy Kid and loses focus in class. The aide/teacher remind him 3 or 4 times a day to come back to earth _ he gets this far-away look in his eye, rubs his hands and goes on a "mini-vacation' as his teacher says.
    She now wants us to see the pediatrician but I am terrified of drugs and do not want to see the Dr. yet.

I used to think that his deafness/low body tone etc contributed to his day-dreaming, ie, things get hard to focus, so he tunes out.
    But the teacher says he hears quite well (sits close to teacher) and repeats all the instructions given and finishes his assignments etc.

How do I get my son to cut out the dreaming? Last year the 2nd grade teacher set up a sticker chart which helped only for a few months.

Should I tell my son that if the teacher does not complain about him, he will get a special reward? He is an adorable fella and really has no other issues. If he daydreams at home and I ask him, he tells me of a scene/chapter from a book dancing thru his head.

Thanks so much for any ideas,
    thesub

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 18, 2011

As a person who is hard-of-hearing, I used to use reading as my way of learning the material as well. That's actually a really good thing because deaf kids often have delays in reading, etc. due to being ESL. The fact that he is an avid reader will serve him well. Just because he can "hear" doesn't mean it doesn't take a lot of concentration for him to attend to it. People often don't realize how much energy it sucks out of you. E girl sa n E air becomes The girl sat in the chair. The ears can hear one thing but the eyes and mind have to make up the difference. On top of that the mind has to remember the overall message. It's a lot of work.

Could his daydreaming be unrelated to his deafness? Sure it can. I would be remiss, however, if I didn't point out just how much work it takes to "hear." There an amazing number of metacognitive strategies he is likely using to stay up to task. Whatever the reason he is daydreaming, he does need support to be taught the attending expectation.

I would never start any kind of system at home that starts with of the teacher doesn't complain then...

You can, however, work with the teacher to come up with a solution. If

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 18, 2011

I will comment more when I'm not on my phone. It won't let me edit well.

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 19, 2011

I am sorry, but if he is doing well, I don't see that it is an issue.

6. teacher mom

teacher mom Rookie

Oct 27, 2011

Did he receive therapy after getting the implants? I know somebody who just went through the surgery and they told her she would need to learn how to listen again. She has not started the therapy yet but I think it is going to be for a couple of months. Maybe he just hasn't learned the value of listening since he used other senses to compensate for so long. I teach third grade and only recommend a doctors visit if I think a student needs medication because it is affecting their learning. Do you realize that ADD can be without hyperactivity? If your son is sitting in the front the teacher should be able to tap his desk or tap his shoulder as a sign to get back on track.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 27, 2011

Not knowing your son this may be way off base, but I had a student who took "mini-vacations" and he was actually having little seizures.

On his next check-up, it might be worth mentioning. Even if it is add, there might be some non-medication avenues that you could explore. I don't think all doctors just automatically prescribe meds.