PK-4 Assessments/Grading

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by jlj, Mar 18, 2006.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Mar 18, 2006

1. Any suggestions on assessments? What do you use that's easy, not too time consuming, well-rounded, etc.?
    2. With the ABEKA curriculum there is a lot of seat work (work sheets). I try to mark, write comments, etc. on each. So far I've used the happy, straight and sad faces, stickers & the X/Y (number correct/number possible) to "grade". Because we are a pre-school rather than a child care set-up and we use an advanced curriculum, our parents really expect more as well. Kindergarten receives grades. I was thinking about giving grades the last nine weeks.Is there a web site where I can get info about how to grade? How do you grade?
    3.Do any of you "test" children before accepting them into your PK-4 program? What do you use?
    4. With the VPK in Florida, if you didn't before, do you now have an assessment you use to determine if a child will be promoted to Kindergarten? When do you do this? I've heard that some schools have a "test" (sounds similar to the SATs format) they use in the Spring with PK-4 students and use the same in the Fall, during the first 9 weeks of Kindergarten. Anyone else heard of this? Know what it is? Where to get anything to use?
    Appreciate any help!

3. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Mar 18, 2006

I have a Kindergarten Assessment we use in our county (North Carolina) that I'd be happy to email you if you like it will give you a general of things we look for before they move on to kindergarten. It may be a bit mild compared to your children since they are on ABEKA and may be farther advanced than students coming from traditional preschools/home care.

4. amy-

amy- Rookie

Mar 18, 2006

The Gesell Developmental Screening: www(dot)gesellinstitute.(org)/

"This developmental screening is used to determine whether a child has reached developmental milestones and can accomplish the major associated tasks. Individual children’s responses are matched with normative patterns of behavior for each age. The responses yield a description of the child’s developmental age in contrast to chronological age.

An important aspect of developmental screening is that it can highlight areas of concern, and administered over time, can monitor consistency between developmental domains. When developmental screening reveals signs of difficulty, re-screening should follow after a short interval. Persistent signs of difficulty indicate the need for full diagnostic assessments.

Understanding children in light of their developmental age can help to adjust expectations, inform curricula, design spaces, and establish practices that are developmentally appropriate and supportive of the natural unfolding of the growth and development process." Gesell Institue web site