Pirate Themed Classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mommy2wad, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Mommy2wad

Mommy2wad Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

I am not sure if this has already been put before the forum, but I am wanting to do a pirate themed classroom this year. I have already found some pirate bear clipart that I am going to copy to cardstock and laminate with each child's name for my door. I want to play up the "treasure hunt" part of it. Anyone have any suggestions? I am good at "borrowing" ideas, not as good at coming up with them on my own.

3. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

How about X marks the spot for you wow board?

4. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 16, 2007

I had a pirate day this year and the kids loved it. They came in dressed as pirates (as did I). The outside of my door was decorated like a pirate ship (Johnny Depp was of course on the ship). When the kids walked in the room I had it decorated like a deserted island (palm trees, monkeys, parrots, treasure chest, fishing nets, seashells). They got to decorate their own pirate flag and I had pirate music (purchased in the kid's section of wal-mart) playing in the background. While we were at lunch another pirate (5th grade teacher) stole our treasure. The kids went on a treasure hunt to find the stolen booty. They loved it! Their first clue they had to decode. When they found the treasure chest they were allowed to open it and claim their prize (golden coins, pirate notepads, pirate pencils).

5. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jul 16, 2007

I drew a treasure chest and made sections for students to write about themselves and I'm going to Party City to get a "scene setter" that's an island--really cute!! The chests go around a bigger one (have to make it myself) and there's gonna be gold "coins" with the kids' pictures in the big chest and the title is "Grade Two Treasures."

6. Mommy2wad

Mommy2wad Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

Great ideas--thank you!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

There's a whole set of kid's books with a pirate theme too.

I saw the latest one the other day...something along the lines of "Do Pirates Change Diapers?" My kids read some of the other books in the series-- they're adorable!

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 17, 2007

Use a ship decoration and label the reading center with "Sail away with a good book!"
    "We treasure school" for the treasure chest theme

9. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 18, 2007

I had a semi-pirate theme last year. Above my library in my classroom I hung a net and had the words "Catch a Good Book" hanging from it. Inside the net I threw in some book covers. I also have this bulletin board I made (I've posted these before).

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5...0/IM001678.jpg
    http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5...0/IM001677.jpg

I sort of made my website to be a pirate theme as well. www.msjensenclass.com

However, I'm looking for some catchy slogans to put around my classroom....