Pirate theme...too much?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by minnie, May 27, 2008.

1. minnie

minnie Habitué

May 27, 2008

Hello! I have been bouncing around some ideas for my back to school theme for next year. I have gotten SO many great ideas from everybody.

One of the themes I have in mind is a pirate theme, but, do you think it's not suitable for kindergartners? I know that pirates aren't exactly those you look up to...

I may be worrying too much about this. What do you think?

3. minnie

minnie Habitué

May 27, 2008

I am also thinking about doing the garden theme for KinderGARTEN...

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 27, 2008

Our mascots are the Pirates so I don't think it would be too much as long as the pirates looked child-friendly.

I really love the garden theme though. Maybe you could do that during the spring time.

5. wig

wig Devotee

May 27, 2008

I would go with the garden theme.

6. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

May 27, 2008

The garden theme would be a neat way to show that KinderGARTEN is different from GARDEN. I vote for garden theme as well.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 27, 2008

Tough call. I am a HUGE pirate fan, but I usually save them for Talk Like a Pirate 'week' (it's actually a day, but I stretch it out) and go overboard with them then (hardy har har). If you do go with them, these are my ideas:

http://www.realclassroomideas.com/119.html

8. minnie

minnie Habitué

May 27, 2008

Yeah, I think I will go with the garden theme for my back to school and for Talk Like a Pirate Day, I will stretch it out for a few days and do some fun activities with that.

Everytime I looke online for pirate decorations, its either a skull with crossbones or Johnny Depp. Even though I rather like looking at Johnny Depp ;), I don't think its the best for Kindergarten.

Thank you so much for the replies. I always need a second opinion on these things and its so nice to hear from you all.:)

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 27, 2008

there is a really cute kid song about a Pirate's life.
    I'll try to find out who it is by and what the song is called for you.

10. minnie

minnie Habitué

May 27, 2008

That would be great! Thank You JamieMarie!

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 27, 2008

As a parent I'm not crazy about pirates at all. I associate them with crossbones and I'm always amazed how much of that is in little kids clothing. That's just my 2 cents.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 27, 2008

I just emailed the teacher next door to me. I'll get back to you as soon as she lets me know.

13. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 27, 2008

I like Pirates as a theme in general, my program is younger, but I do usually reserve it for groups I know well. The Garden theme would allow you to Meet first and then play. Would your pirate theme fit in later?

14. minnie

minnie Habitué

May 28, 2008

Yeah I will fit it in later in the year, during Talk Like a Pirate week. It's just that a pirate theme seems mainly masculine and I want a theme at the beginning to be more neutral.

15. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

May 28, 2008

Are you thinking about really teaching about pirates and what they are all about or is it just for the "cute" looks of it? I would say that there are so many other things to teach other than people who pillage, hurt others and are generally all around bad examples. I know I wouldn't want my child exposed to this in Kindergarten. Later, when they are older to really understand it woud be fine, but right now all kids see is the whole "Pirates of the Carribean" unrealistic view of pirates, and I KNOW it is our responsibilities as teachers to actually teach authentic learning experinces that go with our themes. If it is just for the "cuteness" of it, again... I would think something else with more substance that would actually teach them something would be a better choice.
    I am sorry to be so opinionated about this, but I feel so strongly that our themes should not just be because they are "cute", but because we are actually teaching them to be lifelong learners who are inquisitive and good global citizens.

16. minnie

minnie Habitué

May 28, 2008

That's why I think a garden theme would be best. Not only is it cute (and let's face it, K teachers LOVE cute...at least I do), but you can do a lot of educational stuff with it. Plant cycles, life cycle of a butterfly, how to take care of plants, learning about ladybugs...lots of things.