Pirate Theme - Is it okay???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by katenar, Jul 25, 2007.

1. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 25, 2007

Do you think it's okay to do a pirate theme for my classroom? I'm concerned about the whole skull and cross bone type thing and parent's reaction to it. I'm going to be working at a private school....and don't want to ruffle any feathers (it's my first year at this school). :confused:

If I did decide to do this theme I would try to stay away from weapons of any sort. Perhaps tie in a island type theme. Am I just being too "safe" or what? :dunno: Any ideas??

I was also thinking of sending these invitations to invite all of my students to the Back To School night if I did do this theme. http://www.orientaltrading.com/appl...ies-_-Skull/Crossbones Invitation In A Bottle Wouldn't that be cute? :2up: And the kids would be so excited to get this in the mail!!!

3. Flanny108

Flanny108 Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

I wouldn't do it

It's funny my husband and I were just talking about how pirates are becoming so common now that people forget that they are/were awful people. Personally, I wouldn't use them because of that reason. Generally with school if I am concerned that an idea or plan may offend someone or ruffle feathers I just don't do it.

4. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 25, 2007

Katenar,
    My mentor teacher from my credential program did a pirate theme last year and she teaches 2nd grade. Parents had no problem with it at all. But...this was a public school. Not sure about doing it a private school. Have you mentioned anything to the other teachers at the school? They might know the principal and parents and be able to offer some good advice. I interviewed at your school two years ago but for some reason I think that the principal is someone different now.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  5. texangrade2

texangrade2 New Member

Jul 25, 2007

Hey KateNar, I was thinking about a pirate theme too, but rejected it for the same reasons you gave. Sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission, but if this is your first time in this school, you might want to feel out some of the other teachers.

For the last 2 years, I did a castle theme. I created a huge castle of butcher paper outside my classroom and used letters to spell out "Once Upon a time in first grade..." Then inside the classroom, just above the door I used letters to spell out "They lived happily ever after!" I went to a party store and bought some wands, shields, medieval looking helmets etc and hung them on bulletin boards with word like "Brave knights and beautiful princesses"
    It was a big hit with kids and parents alike. I'm moving to 2nd grade this year and a lot of my kids are looping up with me, so I'm going with something different this year. But that might be a way to bring in some of the elements of pirates without the skulls and crossbones.

Good luck!

6. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jul 25, 2007

I'm at a Catholic school--and we are pretty free to do whatever we want (within reason, of course!!) I have a couple of semi-pirate things (mostly just treasure chest themed activities.) I will have skulls for Dia de los Muertos... I'd say ask if you are concerned at all.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2007

Could you just do a Treasure Island sort of theme? That's kind of close to the Pirates theme, but you don't have to worry about weapons and skulls. You would still be able to do the deserted island and treasure chest stuff.

8. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Jul 25, 2007

I was not allowed to do topics with pirates, weapons, magic or anything supernatural (which includes doing things about Halloween :( ) The school has had complaints from parents about this before and is now really strict about that. :sorry:

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 25, 2007

I LOVE pirates, and my students know this...I always am a pirate for Halloween (I tell them about it) or Crazy Clothing Day, it was long before Pirates of the Carribean too. But, I wouldn't do the theme, because of the terrible history of pirates. I don't think it's fair to have a focus in the room, and then not discuss what it means. Or, you could do the pirate theme, but really discuss their history.

I have changed my pirate ideas to perhaps, explorers of the high seas... this gives the same effect, time period, etc. You could still have ships, and a lot of the lingo, but focus more on "exploring" which is what school is all about anyway.

I have yet to do this as a unit study (I don't do themes) but it's in my head as a "someday" plan.

I teach in a private school too, and depending on the school culture, there is a chance parents will complain about new teachers... I think it's like, hazing or something. Do as little as you can to light any fires. At my school, the parents are wary with new teachers because so many teachers have been there 20 or 30 years. If their kid doesn't get someone "experienced" they doubt everything going on.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2007

I did buried treasure bulletin board fro BTS a few years ago. Just skip the skull and cross bones thing and use sailing ships, buried treasure, treasure maps, gold coins, islands, parrots....

11. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 25, 2007

I agree... I think you can easily adapt and avoid a lot of potential issues! You could probably still use almost everything (parrots, telescopes, sails, etc) without running into problems. :)

12. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 25, 2007