Pinterest...again.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Apr 10, 2012.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2012

Anyone else notice all the "spam" on Pinterest? It seems in the past week or two it's gotten out of hand. You'll see a picture of a puppy with a caption like "You can look this hot too if only you check out this website...blah, blah, blah". That's irritating, but...okay.

What I am really unhappy with is spammers following me. I don't want to be connected to these people. The most recent one has pins of...um, extra long and realistic, um...tools. I searched but don't sea way to prevent them from following me. Anyone know anything about this? Again, I just prefer to not be at all "connected" to these characters.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2012

Nope. Haven't seen any spam or 'tools'. :eek:
    Mostly is people I know who follow me...a few I don't know but tend to be people who have similar tastes and interests as mine.
    Have you tried contacting Pinterest directly?

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2012

I see the spam when I view "everything". Nope, take that back...I searched for a movie yesterday and saw lots of innocent enough spam. But the "tool" thing...yeah, first I've seen of that. The person is clearly fake...he/she (male name, model female picture) has lots of boards with just one pin in each, and they all have what is I am sure a "lovely" website added in the description.

I will have to contact Pinterest.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 10, 2012

I am not getting anything. I've heard other people have. I reported one person for sending SPAM. That is it.

6. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 10, 2012

You can report pins for abuse. I've seen some spam and done so, but not too much. If you click on the pin, it'll be on the right hand side where it has tweet, embed, etc. I think reporting it when you see it is probably the best way to make it known and have it deleted.

7. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Apr 10, 2012

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is Pinterest anything like Tumblr?

I went on the website but I''m confused as to how it works.

8. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2012

I've been clicking on pins and get directed to a Starbucks promotion. Other than that, I haven't seen much that's a problem. Yet.

9. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 10, 2012

It's slightly similar, Speechy. It's essentially virtual bulletin board, where you can have a visual way to collect different things on the internet like images, links to things you like, etc. I might find a recipe I like, pin it, and then have it on my recipe board. Then when I want to make dinner, I have a visual way to browse through recipes I'm interested in rather than scrolling through a list of bookmarks. I also have boards for things like design, school ideas, etc. You can pin things from anywhere, but what you saw were other people's pins collected onto the "everything" feed. It's similar to tumblr because you can repin things that others have put on there already. I like to browse by category. I don't use it too much, but it's a fun distraction. Especially late at night. :p

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2012

I'm now noticing them, too!! I have a lot of new followers and noticed that some of these "followers" will have a TON of boards with only one pin in each board.

11. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2012

I don't think they have a block feature yet, but it sounds like it's something they need to add. I'd say report the spam.

On a related note, would anyone be interested in participating in collaborative boards for A to Z? We could have boards for each grade level and A to Z members could join boards to pin to. When you join a collaborative board, it shows up on your pinterest page just like your other boards. I know I should probably start a new thread about this, but we'll see if anyone is interested first... ;)

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2012

I'm interested in that idea, Amanda.

13. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Apr 13, 2012

Our own Pinterest here sounds great! I'd participate.