Pink Slips AREN'T Pink!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Mar 9, 2012.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2012

Footnote...my union rep in the school said the new tenure law is being challenged in the legislature. If they are successful, it would help people like that and those, like me, who transferred districts this year and should have had our tenure reinstated after one year in the new district.

2. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Mar 11, 2012

swan and che-FL

I think in my district, anyone who didn't have tenure by last year is on annual forever. Hard to put down roots....Plus, tenure doesn't mean anything if you get a Needs to improve for 2 or 3 years....Please don't flame me readers and say they shouldn't be teaching...I agree- to a point. BUT I have been in teaching long enough to know it is VERY subjective when one is evaluated by an admin.(And, I have never had a bad eval) BUT, I have seen it and I know $$$$ is a factor.....let's get 3 lower priced teachers for the price of 2 experienced. And, if we lose the class size amendment-there will be many jobs "lost".Yikes!!

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 11, 2012

Sorry to hear of the pink slip. I hope enough people retire that you are able to keep your job. I know my district will have cuts but I have no idea how long it is until we'll know how deep those cuts will be.

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 11, 2012

Sorry to hear YTG, but I'm sure you'll get a job... you're a great teacher!

Here in New Brunswick, they don't do RIFs, because they only hire teachers year by year, until they get tenure... They only grant you tenure once they're sure you won't be laid off. I'm on year five, looking to get tenure shortly!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2012

Keeping fingers crossed for you, monsieurteacher!

6. hubbopolis

hubbopolis Rookie

Mar 12, 2012

Apologies for the needlessly antagonistic post, but the lot of you that are patting YTG on the back sympathetically while yearning for, or enjoying, the protections of tenure are part of the problem. It's like the stampede of wildebeasts that shuts out the poor sucker that just happens to be on the wrong side when the lions attack.

Sorry YTG, genuinely. Sounds like your district will continue to pay twice your salary on 30 year strap hangers while you scrap around for a new job. Don't let it get you down, pretty soon you'll be one of them...I just hope you keep up the good work when you get there.

7. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Mar 12, 2012

Joining in the commiseration. I'm glad to hear that your admin values you and your contributions. Just get on the move in the job search and get your letters of recommendation and resume all ready so you can be prepared if the budget doesn't permit your return to your current place. I wish you the very best--you seem like a great teacher from all of your posts.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2012

Sorry to hear that's how you started your weekend...
    I know when I got mine my P asked if they could see...never seen one before... I said well, it's kind of a let down...not really pink...LOL!!!!

Anyway, as they say there are reasons for everything...I hope there is something better for you!!!

9. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Mar 14, 2012

Our pink slips aren't pink either. I came in last week to a note laid on my computer keyboard and it was yellow. I am tenured and have 12 years in the district. In my state, they don't have to consider seniority if the teachers are all tenured, but they chose to because it was the easy way out. It doesn't matter that I probably do 80% of the work in the department and the other teacher does pretty much nothing. And the board knows that. I think he will shut this program down in 2 years. I feel really bad for the kids I am leaving behind.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 14, 2012

Holy crap, they just left a note on your desk? That seems cowardly, so perhaps your note was appropriately hued. I'm so sorry.

11. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Mar 14, 2012

That just sucks. So sorry about you and YTG.
    It is sad how people just don't have empathy for others. I know it is their job; told by their bosses to let go of people, BUT at least have some class about how to do it. At least show some emotions and tell people face to face. It's so sad how a lot of people operate like computers; no care, emotions, or feelings for others.
    Rebel1

12. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Mar 14, 2012

I got one yesterday.. one of 1600 (25% of our teachers).

Good luck to our district if they trya nd go ahead with it.

13. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Mar 15, 2012

ugh, mine came today. I'm in denial. and growling a lot.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2012

Geesh... I can't believe they laid it on your desk. Our P gave us ours. I think I was first because P wanted to see it as well. P said you know I hate to do this, but we have to. It does stink...because as a new teacher it makes you question what you did to help the students learn!!!! But I know it wasn't me... it was money!!!

We had been threatened to get them mid year and be done in January... that was worse thinking I would leave my class than getting one that was at the end of the year....

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Mar 16, 2012

I know it is hard to roll with the punches and believe that you will get a call back when you get that kind of notice. The fact that the district seems to WANT to keep you is definitely in your favor. The good news is that someone always retires, or moves. And your name will be on the list of rehires. It does happen every year. Does it make you feel any better? Probably not. But for some teachers they do not have the assurances of the higher ups that they would LOVE for them to remain on the job. Budget cuts are tough. Last hired are always the first fired. Take heart... one day you two will have some seniority and THAT will play in your favor. Best of luck and no matter what TRY to keep the faith even in these trying times. You are wanted. I WOULD start looking for another position. It is always SMART to keep your options open just in case the SURE THING turns into a for real thing that you won't be hired. Better to be safe... than sorry.

16. KateL

KateL Habitué

Mar 16, 2012

I think YTG's point was that if you can put in 7 years of good work and still get a pink slip, why even try to do a good job? I know most of us will do a good job, just because of the kind of people that we are, but it's so demoralizing to be put in that situation. We know coming in that we can be fired for no reason in the first few years, but after 7 we should be safe.